1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

EAS question

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by Fariba, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Fariba

Fariba Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I am hoping someone will clarify a few things for me:

1. Wouldn't -CH2X (halomethyl) on a benzene make it meta directing? My reasoning is that the more electronegative X would cause C to have a slight + charge? My book is listing it under O/P directing. Could someone explain?

2. I understand why NR1 and NR2 are O/P directors, but why wouldn't NR3 also be O/P directing? N is more electronegative than the carbons... so it would have a slight negative charge making it O/P. What is the 3rd R group doing to change it?

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dat_student

dat_student Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

halomethyls are o-, p-directing & deactivating because of the halogen part....

In -NR3, N is positively charged & doesn't have a lone pair of electrons.

4. Fariba

Fariba Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I completely understand the NR3 part. I dont know why I didnt see that. But I still do not understand why the halogen makes it o/p? I understand why a halogen DIRECTLY attached to the benzene is o/p deactivating... but wouldnt the halogen NEXT TO the carbon attached to the benzene pull carbon's electrons away, so that carbon gets a slight positive charge?

Thanks for the quick response, by the way! ;)

5. tom_servo_dds

tom_servo_dds Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    In my O-Chem textbook it has -CH2X as being even more deactivating (but still O-P directing) than a straight -X would.

6. Fariba

Fariba Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I am just having a mental block on this. I cannot understand how the C in -CH2X would not have a slight positive charge to it.

Oh well! I guess I really shouldn't worry about it because A)I don't think I will EVER forget that it is o-p directing and B) I have probably annoyed a few of you with my cluelessness.

Thanks for your patience! :p