• The site has been updated!

If you see any bugs, please report them in this thread.

Easier PCAT in summer?

girl823

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Seems like many people that I've heard of who took the PCAT over the summer ended up with 90+ on the PCAT. Even though the PCAT is suppose to be based on a bell curve, but perhaps those who took it over the summer are the ones who are less prepared and first timers, so those who actually studied ended up making much higher grade because it's less competitive. Is this a right assumption? What do you think?

bc_ga

10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
I read on the PCAT website that the composite scores are solely based on the number of answers you got right. Your percentile is based on how your composite scores compare to the composite scores of the "norm group" which includes people who took it during a certain period of time (including a few years, not just who took it when you did). I'll try to find the website that said that, but I was under the impression before that percentiles were based on who took it at the same time you do.

KellyBean

10+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2007
In the middle of nowhere
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
Percentile is based on the curve that they came up with after viewing the scores of students over the course of more than 2 years. I could be wrong, but I believe it was 1999-2001, but before the max score was 400, now it's 600. 400 out of 600 gives you a 50%tile. 450 out of 600 gives you a 99%tile. Of course if you score way above 450 on one subject, it is still 99%tile, but it helps offset with your lower scores on the other subjects. That's why some people can do really bad on the reading and verbal sections and still can score over 90%tile.

For example: if you get 350 on a reading section, that's way below 50%tile, but if you score a 550 on Chemistry section, that's 99%tile (but you only need 450 to get 99%tile). So when you add these two up and divide by 2, it comes out to be 450 for the average, and that is 99%tile. I only used 2 sections as example instead of all 5 sections.

About the Ads

Farmercyst

From the shadows
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2006
The bottom of a pile of debt.
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Seems like many people that I've heard of who took the PCAT over the summer ended up with 90+ on the PCAT. Even though the PCAT is suppose to be based on a bell curve, but perhaps those who took it over the summer are the ones who are less prepared and first timers, so those who actually studied ended up making much higher grade because it's less competitive. Is this a right assumption? What do you think?

Maybe my logic is off here, but it seems that those that take it when they don't have to concentrate on other classes (over the summer) would have more time to review basic material before taking the test. If the percentile is taken over two years worth of tests +/-, then the highest percentiles would probably fall in that range as well since the fall and winter test would be taken mid-school year making review time more difficult. I've never taken it so maybe the logic is off, but it makes sense to me.

pharmstud07

10+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
I read on the PCAT website that the composite scores are solely based on the number of answers you got right. Your percentile is based on how your composite scores compare to the composite scores of the "norm group" which includes people who took it during a certain period of time (including a few years, not just who took it when you did). I'll try to find the website that said that, but I was under the impression before that percentiles were based on who took it at the same time you do.

Yup... sounds like the info I was told when I called Harcourt last summer!!

Farmercyst

From the shadows
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2006
The bottom of a pile of debt.
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
I took it in Hotz Hall if that means anything to you Cyst

Believe it or not, I had to look it up. Way cool though. I've only been to the campus once. My bro lives in Springdale and we took a driving tour. I grew up in Little Rock area, so was always a fan, but never made it to campus until about 3 years ago.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.