Easiest Dental School to Get into

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daysinnnc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any dental school that are easy to get into?
If there are, which ones :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I disagree. The easiest school to get into is the one where you have alumni connections and that alum has donated big dollars to that school. Next, your state school is typically easier to get into than anywhere else. Then, everywhere but your state school is pretty much equally difficult to get into.

Members don't see this ad :)
not everyone has a dentist in their family and some state schools are very competitive. private schools are probably easiest although with the number of competitive applicants im not so sure thats true anymore. thats why i said no schools are easy to get into.

Usually it is connections or ur state school. But other than that the EASIER (no such thing as easy) dental schools would be toss-up between NYU and BOSTON.

If you are a borderline candidate those are MUST applications.

dont contradict yourself PRIME....there are no easy schools to get into, period. This is a professional process and all schools involved produce good dentists.

dont contradict yourself PRIME....there are no easy schools to get into, period. This is a professional process and all schools involved produce good dentists.

I concur!

Marion

I would say dental schools in general are difficult to get into. however, relatively speaking, private schools with larger class sizes are easier to get into.

This "easy" thing is all relative to who you are. For Joe applicant, his state school and NYU and BOSTON will be EASIER to get into than any other. If you are black, Meharry and Howard are easiest. Keep in mind NO dental school is EASY to get into. In fact every single one is HARD to get into. One might just be easier than another.

Yes, everyone realizes dental school isn't easy to get into. Luckily, the OP ask which was the easiestwhich last time I checked the dictionary was a relative term.

So, OP, check the average statistics for a matriculating student and you'll have your answers.

Whoever thinks state schools are the easiest clearly doesnt live in Florida. UF by far was the hardest to get into (their selection process, insane interview). Harder than getting into an ivy league school.

Yeah, UF is pretty rough :/ I imagine california people deal with the same thing....and pretty much any states that avoids a fair amount of frozen weather.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have enough money, make a new dental school.
Then you're definitely in! :D

Seriously...there is no easy way out.
Getting into dental school is hard period.:barf:

UW, UF, UNC, UCLA, UCSF, and Harvard are, in my opinion, probably the toughest schools in the country to get into.

With that said, there is no easiest dental school to get into. I've been waitlisted at NYU with a 22/22/18 DAT and 3.6 GPA/3.5 SGPA...easy dental schools? riiiiiiightttt....

jb!:)

Actually, the right amount of money can get you into most dental schools.

There are no schools that are easy to get in anymore.

I would think that state schools are the hardest to get into (if you're from out of state)

If a state school only takes 10% or an exact number like 5 applicants from out of state, that to me seems like pretty stiff odds.

Another way to look at it . . . some schools are harder to get into because they've upped their science pre-requisites.

Look at some of the school websites. I was amazed at how many require biochemistry now. If the majority of applicants don't have those upper level division sciences, then those schools that require it just got harder to get into.

From experience, I think UF is the toughest. They take 82 per year, 50% are taken from UF undergrad [w/approximately 400 to 500 applicants from UF alone], this leave 41 students. Then you see last years stats, and they took ten out of state students, this leaves 31 students to be taken within the State of Florida :FIU:D , FSU, USF, UCF, UNF, and many others, and of course from the University of Miami, Barry, Nova, FAU, FAMU, FMC ,Florida Gulf Coast, and from countless others who are attracted to the low cost of tuition, and small class size.

If you are an average student (Bs and Cs), then any professional school will be hard to get into. If you are above average (As and Bs), you will be able to get into dental school. If you are well above average (majority As), you will have no problem. Of course, the DAT can be an equilizer. There are a few people on here with ~3.0 GPAs, but have DAT scores that are >95%-tile who have gotten in.

Easier Schools:
ASDOH, Boston U, Tufts and NYU. Some private schools are easier b/c residency is not a factor and tuition is higher

Harder Schools:
Harvard, Columbia, UCLA, UCSF, Penn, UF, UW... The upper private schools as well as the top state schools usually attract the most competitive applicants.

I don't think there is an "easiest" dental school to get into, but I do think that there is one way you can give yourself the best shot at being considered at schools, and that is to apply immediately when aadsas becomes available! So, hurry up and take your DAT, so you are ready to go in May! I applied really late, and I think I was just plain lucky to get in.

The whole admissions process is so subjective that you can't say which schools are easier to get into. One school may be looking for applicants with work or research experience, while another school may be looking primarily at your GPA and DAT scores. That means for different applicants there will be different schools that are "easier" to get into.

The best thing for future applicants is to find out which school historically admits applicants like yourself. If you have a low GPA, look for schools that have lower average GPA's. If you have great scores and research experience, look into schools like Harvard and UW. If you are somewhere in between, do the shotgun approach and apply to 15 or 20 schools.

I dont like the shotgun approach mainly because 15-20 schools with AADSAS = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I have been told USC and NYU and any other SUPER expensive schools that requires you to paid out more then 300K...

Do i need to do DAT, because i have my dental degree from another country

harvard!
think of applicant per seat. harvard has the lowest! of course, if you have the stats for it

Are there any dental school that are easy to get into?
If there are, which ones :cool:

From experience, I think UF is the toughest. They take 82 per year, 50% are taken from UF undergrad [w/approximately 400 to 500 applicants from UF alone], this leave 41 students. Then you see last years stats, and they took ten out of state students, this leaves 31 students to be taken within the State of Florida :FIU:D , FSU, USF, UCF, UNF, and many others, and of course from the University of Miami, Barry, Nova, FAU, FAMU, FMC ,Florida Gulf Coast, and from countless others who are attracted to the low cost of tuition, and small class size.
There is no way Florida has 400 to 500 applicants per year for the UF undergrads. If there is a little over 10,000 applicants every year for the whole nation then approximately 5 percent of all applicants come from UF. I hail from BYU and we had around 250 applicants last year and my interviewers thought that 250 was even unbelievable!

i have a really low GPA s because of the situation i went through in my back home country, in order of that none of the schools are accepting me to evaluate my degree!!! i don't know the solution?

I dont like the shotgun approach mainly because 15-20 schools with AADSAS = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Consider the alternative, though. The stress of not getting in and the cost of having to reapply far outweigh the extra grand or two you might spend on the application.

There is no way Florida has 400 to 500 applicants per year for the UF undergrads. If there is a little over 10,000 applicants every year for the whole nation then approximately 5 percent of all applicants come from UF. I hail from BYU and we had around 250 applicants last year and my interviewers thought that 250 was even unbelievable!

Yea, I'm just quoting Dr.Sposetti,......Ething back me up! The school received a little over 1600 applicants this year, 400 to 500 is reasonable.

[Did you see all of the Florida schools that I listed???]

easiest is probably NYU and Nova and BU

hardest is definately UNC, Harvard, Iowa

How hard it is to get into a certain school is dependent on several factors. Like already posted, your state school would likely give you preference, although it is not a guaranteed acceptance by any means.

State schools of states in which you are NOT a resident can be nearly impossible to get into. UNC comes to mind (although its hard enough to get in as a resident too from what I've seen/heard). Some state schools are not so bad for out of staters. I'm from MD, thus UMD is my state school. However, pretty close to half the class of UMD is from out of state. Compare this to other state schools that might accept less then 10% of their class from out of state. Even if you have a 4.0 gpa and 20+ DAT, an out of state, non-private school is still a gamble.

Of course there are private schools that don't care where you're from (NYU, BU, Tufts, etc.) and people claim some of these are "easier" to get into. However, you have to think that some of these schools get over 3000 applications because loads of people apply to them as either a backup or primary choice. So based on the numbers alone, there is still a whole lot of competition at these schools period.

Basically there is no easy school. The best advice I can give to pre-dents that are going to apply is RESEARCH your schools and apply wisely. Just because you have an awesome gpa and DAT doesn't mean squat if you only apply to state schools in which you are non-resident. I'm sure several highly qualified people don't get in every year because they didn't research the schools to apply to.

I am pretty sure MBY school of dentistry is the easist one

you can also check on predents.net and it'll show you the statistics of DAT's GPA's etc etc. for every school

All dental schools are equally hard to get into, but some schools are more equally hard than others. :p

I disagree. The easiest school to get into is the one where you have alumni connections and that alum has donated big dollars to that school. Next, your state school is typically easier to get into than anywhere else. Then, everywhere but your state school is pretty much equally difficult to get into.

not true, I have afew friends two of which attend princeton, and their father, uncle, and grandfather are oral surgeons, not one acceptance this cycle.

I am pretty sure MBY school of dentistry is the easist one

you can also check on predents.net and it'll show you the statistics of DAT's GPA's etc etc. for every school

is MBY? I'm stumped.

easiest is probably NYU and Nova and BU

hardest is definately UNC, Harvard, Iowa

Iowa only if you are out of state. If you are an Iowa resident it is marginally competitive.
UNC? Why does everybody think UNC is so great? Probably because a lot of UNC people are on this board and talk it up. I know a foreign dentist who got into UNC after getting rejected from many state schools in the Midwest.
Harvard you need great numbers, so I would say Harvard is one of the hardest to get into.

Yea, I'm just quoting Dr.Sposetti,......Ething back me up! The school received a little over 1600 applicants this year, 400 to 500 is reasonable.

[Did you see all of the Florida schools that I listed???]

How many of those are from out of state though? There's a good chance that out of staters apply to UF thinking how nice the weather is or they want 4 years of gator football but they fail to realize that UF only accepts 5-10 out of staters all of which have ridiculously high stats.

The lower end students at my school are getting in to NYU, Temple, Case, and Marquette, Nova. While the higher end students are headed to UCLA, Pacific, UNLV, Ohio State, RDEP, ASDOH.

That is how it looks from my view. :)

Oh, and anytime you can get accepted to another state's school, you are probably doing something that would be considered hard. :)

How many of those are from out of state though? There's a good chance that out of staters apply to UF thinking how nice the weather is or they want 4 years of gator football but they fail to realize that UF only accepts 5-10 out of staters all of which have ridiculously high stats.

For 2006 UF only had 463 in-state applicants, they interviewed 297 of them an accepted ? for a final class of 72 from in-state. The entire UF ASDA is only around 400-500 students for all 4 years. I would guess that UF might have as many as 150 undergraduate students that apply every year to it's dental school, but I'd seriously doubt it if it's more.

All dental schools are equally hard to get into, but some schools are more equally hard than others. :p
:laugh:
"All schools are equal, but some are more equal than others"

I think that UConn may be one of the only (if not the only) state dental school to accept mostly out-of-state applicants. Last year it was something like 30% in-state v. 70% out-of-state. The numbers may not be exact, but the point being, they've got it backwards....

I would say the hardest school to get into is the school that rejects you (and you wanted so badly to go there) no matter how high the acceptance rate is or how low the accepted students' stats are at that school.

Conversely, the easiest school to get into (or at least you think so) is the school that accepts you right off the bat without you having been on a wait list. Then you are wondering, checking your stats to make sure that perhaps you "could have gotten into a better school".

Finally, the best dental school is the one you end up going to because you are going to give them everything you got including the next 3-4 years of your life.

The lower end students at my school are getting in to NYU, Temple, Case, and Marquette, Nova. While the higher end students are headed to UCLA, Pacific, UNLV, Ohio State, RDEP, ASDOH.

asdoh...really? But it's so expensive and....etc...etc...etc...

which schools is RDEP?

Sorry, Creighton's RDEP takes the best ten Utah kids they can get. It is where you do the first year here at the UofU and then matriculate for the other three years in Omaha. The state reimburses you about $18,000 a year for three years if you come back here to practice.

So for most Utah kids, that is prestigious.

asdoh...really? But it's so expensive and....etc...etc...etc...

I would say that the school does have a few things going for it: Weather, clinic reputation, etc.

Some kids are drawn to that, I suppose.