Easiest Dental School to Get into

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For 2006 UF only had 463 in-state applicants, they interviewed 297 of them an accepted ? for a final class of 72 from in-state. The entire UF ASDA is only around 400-500 students for all 4 years. I would guess that UF might have as many as 150 undergraduate students that apply every year to it's dental school, but I'd seriously doubt it if it's more.

That sounds more accurate. 400 from UF alone is absurd. They do, however, accept about 50% of UF undergrads.

Members don't see this ad.

I am pretty sure MBY school of dentistry is the easist one

you can also check on predents.net and it'll show you the statistics of DAT's GPA's etc etc. for every school
No way! MBY may even be harder than Harvard!

No way! MBY may even be harder than Harvard!
Gosh....why is everthing harder than Harvard? Why can't we compare it to something like....it's harder to get in than putting your feet over your head...

Members don't see this ad :)
Despite where you apply, you never really know how things are going to play out. I got into another state school out of state, but I got waitlisted at my state school...

For 2006 UF only had 463 in-state applicants, they interviewed 297 of them an accepted ? for a final class of 72 from in-state. The entire UF ASDA is only around 400-500 students for all 4 years. I would guess that UF might have as many as 150 undergraduate students that apply every year to it's dental school, but I'd seriously doubt it if it's more.

That's more like it. 150 undergrad applicants is still high yet way more believable!

IN HER DRAWER told me that UCSF was probably the easiest school in the United States to get into..But im not sure the credibility of the source.

IN HER DRAWER told me that UCSF was probably the easiest school in the United States to get into..But im not sure the credibility of the source.

This fool is only partly correct; what I actually said was that they're all a joke to get into.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course there are private schools that don't care where you're from (NYU, BU, Tufts, etc.)

On their website, Tufts actually lists several feeder schools from which around 45% of their incoming class comes from (just like Pacific has a group of feeder schools).

the new schools open next year 2008.

the new schools open next year 2008.

what new dental schools are opening up? do you have a website where I can read about them? I hope there isn't one opening up in hawaii :) It might make me wish that I waited to apply :)

I believe the new dental school opening up in 2008 is in Arizona. In North Carolina there will be one opening up in ECU, but its not until 2010.

what new dental schools are opening up? do you have a website where I can read about them? I hope there isn't one opening up in hawaii :) It might make me wish that I waited to apply :)

I believe the new dental school opening up in 2008 is in Arizona. In North Carolina there will be one opening up in ECU, but its not until 2010.

can you post any info you know in the thread I created about new dental schools?

I think that UConn may be one of the only (if not the only) state dental school to accept mostly out-of-state applicants. Last year it was something like 30% in-state v. 70% out-of-state. The numbers may not be exact, but the point being, they've got it backwards....

UMDNJ at 81% out-of-state
Temple at 68% out-of-state
Conn at 51% out-of-state

UMDNJ at 81% out-of-state
Temple at 68% out-of-state
Conn at 51% out-of-state

I'm not sure where you got your numbers, but I'm using Barron's 11th ed. which has stats from the 2005-06 admissions.

UMDNJ at 82/84 in-state (2% out-of-state)
Temple (*is not the state university)
UConn at 8/38 in-state (79% out-of-state)

*Unless a) Barron's is incorrect, or b) since 2005 the numbers changed dramatically?

I'm not sure where you got your numbers, but I'm using Barron's 11th ed. which has stats from the 2005-06 admissions.

*Unless a) Barron's is incorrect, or b) since 2005 the numbers changed dramatically?

temple is a state subsidized school. so is pitt. PA is different from other states with how schools are designated. residency matters more for tuition. as far as getting accepted, residency matters less than other states dental schools. i think that has to do with the fact that pitt and temple depend on ppl paying out-of-state tuition.

Mea Culpa! for UMDNJ

The ADEA Official Guide to Dental School 2007 does indeed list the out-of-state percentage to be at 81. What I failed to see was that the statistical data for the number of enrollees was incorrect since it actually listed the number of applicants. (This issue has other incorrect entries). For 2005, 32 out of 56 enrollees (57%) were out-of-state.

The 2005 figures for Conn are the one you have indicated. For the class entering in 2006, 20 out of 39 (51%) were out-of-state.

As dmd2011 has already pointed out Temple is a state supported institution.

www.temple.edu/dentistry/about/history.htm

easiest schools to get into are the ones whose basic requirements are below your own credentials.

Hmm.. in general I would say that your state schools, big private expensive schools in expensive cities are easier to get in depending on which state you're from.

Is it true that you must have at least a 3.5 gpa to apply to NYU's college of dentistry?

Nope you don't necessarily HAVE TO have a 3.5 GPA for NYU!! :)

Is it true that you must have at least a 3.5 gpa to apply to NYU's college of dentistry?

no school has a "minimum" gpa...at least i dont think. But i do know that NYU doesnt require a 3.5. I was in the mid 3.4's and got in. and No my DAT was not stellar by any sense of the word

Thanks for the quick reply! It's so weird that the website says "at least a 3.5 gpa". I must have read wrong or something.

I'm applying for fall 2008 and NYU is one of the schools on my list. My gpa is only a 3.2 something. Any suggestions...for things i should do to increase my
competitiveness (although it's kind of late to do so..) or other schools I should consider?

Your help is greatly appreciated! :)

Any suggestions...for things i should do to increase my competitiveness (although it's kind of late to do so..) or other schools I should consider?

If you haven't already taken your DAT try to get a really awesome score, especially on the PAT section.

Also, if you've volunteered/shadowed at a dental office that would really help you out as well. You can always update this information after submitting your application.

Thanks for the quick reply! It's so weird that the website says "at least a 3.5 gpa". I must have read wrong or something.

I'm applying for fall 2008 and NYU is one of the schools on my list. My gpa is only a 3.2 something. Any suggestions...for things i should do to increase my
competitiveness (although it's kind of late to do so..) or other schools I should consider?

yea you'll tend to see that. a school will say they have "minimum requirements". Some will say this..some wont. LIke the school i'm going to..they say minimum 17's on all sections of the DAT..well i got a 16 in one section...still got in. So its more of just something to shoot for. I think hitting those minimums just puts you in the driver's seat. But you dont necessarily "have" to hit them. But, as you know, competition is getting pretty fierce...so just do everything you can to get ur stats up as high as possible.

What do you think would be a sufficient DAT score for me to actually be considered?

I have been volunteering at a ortho's office and plan on shadowing my general dentist in the very near future along with a few other dentists, too. I'm involved in school and have done some community service. I hope I get in somewhere!!! I guess I should just wait till I take the DAT...when do you think I should take it ?

Easier Schools: ASDOH said:
easier[/I] b/c residency is not a factor and tuition is higher
QUOTE]

ASDOH??? Are you kidding me??? They had over 4000 applicants for 54 (now increasing to 60) spots!!

Know your stuff, or dont talk

easier[/I] b/c residency is not a factor and tuition is higher
QUOTE]

ASDOH??? Are you kidding me??? They had over 4000 applicants for 54 (now increasing to 60) spots!!

I would say NYU, BU, and your state school. Thats it (unless u are minority, Howard & Meharry).

easier[/i] b/c residency is not a factor and tuition is higher
QUOTE]

4000? really? maybe more like 2291. but they still do have the highest applicant/seat ratio with 42.43 applicants for each seat which is just about 10 more than the second highest.

Are there any dental school that are easy to get into?
If there are, which ones :cool:

Hopefully, you are not equating the "easiest" dental schools to get into with the "worst" dental schools. I think the disadvantage of the SDN threads is that it makes applicants paranoid about the schools they apply to and even get into. Remember that training is only half the story. It is the applicant that will be responsible to become the best clinician possible by utilizing that training.

Does Arizona have any feeder schools?? so in your opinion arizona is the easiest to get into?

4000? really? maybe more like 2291. but they still do have the highest applicant/seat ratio with 42.43 applicants for each seat which is just about 10 more than the second highest.

"Easiest Dental School to get into"....No such thing! Each school is relative to each applicant. One can't equate lower gpa averages with easier because there are just too many other factors involved. For example, school A has gpa average of 3.7 while school B has gpa average of 3.3. School B isn't definitively "easier" to get into (they may have higher DAT avgs, more weight on nearby residency, more weight on EC's, more weight on essays or personal statement, etc etc etc...) It's just not possible to simply state easiest, and each applicant undoubtedly has to evaluate his/her chances at each school based on their own credentials, only allowing "numbers" to play part of the equation.

Although, take my opinion with a grain of salt b/c I'm still waiting to get in :eek: !

there is no easy school..as has been said over and over...i dont care how big the school is. Yes NYU has a very high enrollment...but they also get significantly more applications than any other school across the country. So does BU, so does Tufts, etc. etc.

ToothE I am in a similar boat. Don't know if I have quite the stats to get in. I fear I'm going to get waitlisted everywhere ("too average")...
What do you guys think about UIC? I think it might be my best shot, I'm from Chicago.
What other things can improve a resume? I'm a research assistant, have shadowed a dentist (plan on shadowing an oral surgeon), am in some EC's, volunteer....? Anything that is outstanding to an admissions committee?

Let's say you're working on a master at a private school, would it be easier to get into their d-school than the others? :confused:

Does Arizona have any feeder schools?? so in your opinion arizona is the easiest to get into?

No, not at all. It still has the highest number of people applying to it per seat available out of any school in the US.

# of applications almost doubled in one year? i'm impressed.

Does anyone know which school has the LOWEST number of applicants per seat ratio????

Does anyone know which school has the LOWEST number of applicants per seat ratio????

Check out predents.com. You can sort by applicants/seat.
Louisiana had 3.68 applicants per seat.
NYU had the fewest among private schools (10.64).
ASDOH had the most (42.43, though apparently that number skyrocketed this year)

thanks. I heard Louisana is extremely hard to get into from out of state, but I am going to apply to NYU for sure.
I was going to apply to ASDOH because their average DAT/GPA are very reasonable but since the number of applicants "skyrocketed" I will apply elsewhere...lol..

Check out predents.com. You can sort by applicants/seat.
Louisiana had 3.68 applicants per seat.
NYU had the fewest among private schools (10.64).
ASDOH had the most (42.43, though apparently that number skyrocketed this year)

I heard getting into dental school is competative, is this true?

I've heard that any school is easy to get into. All you have to do is contact the alumni foundation at your school of choice and donate $300,000. At that point, your interview is waived.