East Asian Students at UConn? Where are they?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bomgd3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edited: Turns out UConn is an awesome, diverse group of people--I was wrong!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
To current UConn students, how's the diversity? Is it an incredibly white suburban school, or is there a good amount of socioeconomic and racial diversity in the class? I'm gonna be honest here, I love to go dancing and karaoke and hot pot, and white people in a pack just don't do those things very much.

Perhaps you should expand your social circle to include more weaboos.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a Chinese guy and grew up in super white suburban Connecticut, and then went to super Asian-filled University of Illinois, and then transferred back to super white suburban UConn for the remainder of undergrad. I feel comfortable with all different groups of people, but I just thought it was strange that UConn seems to have very few East Asians, although plenty of Indians. I was looking at the 2010 class and there were literally two out of maybe 80-90 people. Sorry for the silly question, but what's the deal? I interviewed with a lot of other Chinese- and Korean-American students but it seems like hardly any matriculate.

To current UConn students, how's the diversity? Is it an incredibly white suburban school, or is there a good amount of socioeconomic and racial diversity in the class? I'm gonna be honest here, I love to go dancing and karaoke and hot pot, and white people in a pack just don't do those things very much.

Clearly you went to the wrong coast...A UC should have been your destination :laugh:

1. Connecticut has a relatively low proportion of Asian residents.
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/09000.html

2. Minority students tend to be attracted to schools where they find others like themselves. It becomes a spiral as applicants like the OP see few people like themselves, go elsewhere and continue the cycle.

3. High achieving minority students may be attracted to and choose to matriculate at more highly ranked schools.

I'm sure plenty of white people would do karaoke, hotpot and dancing with you.

I've never understood all this diversity crap though. Minorities just hang out with their own groups anyway, and no one gets any closer to understanding/appreciating other cultures which is apparently what diversity is all about. :confused:

I've never understood all this diversity crap though. Minorities just hang out with their own groups anyway, and no one gets any closer to understanding/appreciating other cultures which is apparently what diversity is all about. :confused:

There's a difference between minorities who were born in the States/Canada (or came here very early) and minorities who immigrated much later in life or are in the US for an exchange. Generally, it seems like minorities who come here much later tend to hang out with other people of their own nationality - but then again, they share the language (to a greater extent because english is a less familiar language to them) and culture (spent much more time in their home country). Especially when you are surrounded by unfamiliar people in every other aspect of your life, i don't think it's strange that they hang out with other koreans/chinese/japanese people...

also, should point out that diversity shouldn't necessarily always mean racial or ethnic diversity. I think intellectual diversity is much more important.

I'm sure the UConn admissions web-site breaks the diversity numbers, as that is the politically correct thing to do.

Minorities just hang out with their own groups anyway, and no one gets any closer to understanding/appreciating other cultures which is apparently what diversity is all about. :confused:

Right its all the minorities fault. Its not like white people ever exclude anyone :laugh:

You may be forward thinking. However the reality is that many who are born here continue to remain highly sociable primarily within their own ethnic group despite being fully acculturated/even losing much of their parents culture. This to me is suggestive. Many of us really try. I still try, but there are greater barriers, none of which I personally harbor.