Question about interviewing at a school where I am below the 10th percentile

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yasuo23

Reaction score
I know how this might come off but I am both curious and anxious as to how to approach this interview.

As the title says, I received an interview at a school where I am below the 10th percentile of accepted students in both GPA and MCAT. Now obviously I don't think a school would interview someone who they don't at least consider accepting, but what are my realistic chances considering this

How should I approach this interview? If I have an amazing interview, will that be enough to push me over the edge? I am very excited for this interview in particular but I also want to be realistic.

Members don't see this ad.

The school is interested in you. A less likely possibility is that this is a courtesy interview.

Just be yourself. Trying too hard to impress will come off poorly.

And good luck!!

Reactions: 3 users
The school is interested in you. A less likely possibility is that this is a courtesy interview.

Just be yourself. Trying too hard to impress will come off poorly.

And good luck!!
Thank you for that!

Are courtesy interviews really a thing? Why would a school do that?

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, 1 in 10 of their current students are also below the 10th percentile. Sounds like some other factor on your application caught their eye as being an interesting addition to the class - extracurricular experiences, representing a particular community (be that racial/ethnic group, rural, geographic, low SES, etc.) that fits their mission or goals for the class, something special in your essays or LORs. Unless you have some sort of connection to the school like a parent or LOR writer who is an alum, it's probably not a courtesy interview, and you can get in if they see what they want to see in the interview.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you guys for the feedback! Puts me at ease a bit

Reactions: 1 users
Usually, it's to avoid political repercussions.
Is it possible you could elaborate? What political repercussions could cause them to want to give out a courtesy interview?