UConn vs. UVM (Larner/LCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulapplicant!

Reaction score
IS at UVM-CT campus versus UConn! Thankful and privileged to be making this choice. I am undecided for residency but right now could see myself pursuing IM then strive for a competitive fellowship (think: GI, heme/onc) but who knows. Want to stay in northeast (NE, NYC, Philly, NJ) for residency Bottom line: I want to keep as many doors open as possible

Both schools have: TBL, heavy on in-person lectures/time in class, 18 mo didactic, P/F

I am very very lucky have ongoing research with my gap year PIs from a strong medical center that I will continue throughout med school, so not sure how much research prowess will matter at my future institution??

UVM Pros:
- cheaper tuition (IS)
- have some connections/ongoing research projects w faculty
- diverse patient population at CT clinical campus
- CT clinical campus close to friends/family/bf for latter 2.5 years
- pass/fail w no internal ranking
- diverse student body (only 25% in state)

UVM Cons:
- weaker?? IM match list/overall match list
- CT clinical campus is at two community hospitals (Norwalk and Danbury hospitals), not academic centers
- have to move to CT right before taking Step 1 in March of M2
- weaker research (not R1 institution)
- eliminated from March Madness

UConn Pros:
- go Huskies
- stronger?? IM match/overall match list (2024 not released yet)
- longitudinal clinical exposure M1-M3
- seemingly strong alumni network and connections with Yale
- R1 research institution
- tuition-free guaranteed acceptance MPH in 5th year if desired

UConn Cons:
- 67k more debt
- P/F with internal ranking (please correct me if I'm wrong!!!)
- relatively isolated in CT further from family/friends/bf for all 4 years
- will be in the minority (~25%) as an OOS student

Thank you for your help/advice!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In my experience with students from both schools, UVM students are happier by far. In CT, there should be no problem making connections with Yale from either school, although UConn has stronger ties. There are plenty of opportunities for research at both programs--remember, as a student or resident, case reports and poster presentations are all most folks have time for. Proximity to family and friends is definitely a factor to consider. In terms of March Madness, we all expect UConn to end up as repeat champion (but let's see how they do against SD State tonight). UVM did have a pretty respectable showing against Duke considering the referees were awful, and Yale was great in the first round. I'd talk with students from both schools and compare the match lists (both schools do keep a lot of their own students at the home programs).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You can match into any specialty from either school.
Pick the one where you think you would be most happy.

Reactions: 2 users