General Admissions & OTCAS East Coast OT schools/grades/questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OT10616

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Okay so I am looking for schools on the East Coast for MOT. Preferably Maryland, PA area. I live in Delaware and applied for Wesley College's program which will be the first in Delaware starting Fall 2016. Still waiting to hear back from them. I applied to Jefferson and Philadelphia University and got denied. They are both very competitive big OT schools. Problem is my undergrad GPA SUCKS! Its a 2.4. I graduated with a Nutrition degree not really knowing what direction I wanted to go in with my career so I wasn't too motivated in school. I now know that OT is what I want to do and since then I have taken all the required prereqs and gotten straight A's. (4.0) I'm afraid all schools are looking at my undergrad GPA rather then the fact that I am completely determined now and ready to work. After I got my denials I asked what to do to help my app for next year. They told me that retaking any classes will look bad and basically telling me to give up and try OTA. I would think retaking a class and getting an A would show that I was working hard to better my application. Sorry I'm going on and on but I really want to get into MOT school! Any suggestions? And does anyone know of any other schools around this area that maybe are a little easier to get into?

I need to get in an start my career already!! HELP!

Members don't see this ad.

OTA and OT do the same thing in terms of skilled service. OTA simply cannot evaluate independently. With your statistics (and I was in a similar boat), retaking classes would not do much because undergraduate GPA are hard to raise. I would thoroughly do research and apply to schools that conduct interviews. These schools are more holistic in nature and care to look at a person beyond the numbers.

Reactions: 1 user
OTA and OT do the same thing in terms of skilled service. OTA simply cannot evaluate independently. With your statistics (and I was in a similar boat), retaking classes would not do much because undergraduate GPA are hard to raise. I would thoroughly do research and apply to schools that conduct interviews. These schools are more holistic in nature and care to look at a person beyond the numbers.

Thank you. Yes I just feel as if I would be moving backwards if I were to do OTA with already having a bach. degree. And eventually I would want to become and OT, so it would be tons of extra wasted time and money. UGH , not sure if I should keep trying to apply or what to do!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. Yes I just feel as if I would be moving backwards if I were to do OTA with already having a bach. degree. And eventually I would want to become and OT, so it would be tons of extra wasted time and money. UGH , not sure if I should keep trying to apply or what to do!
In a degree stand point, I can understand that it seems backwards to simply go from a bachelor to an associate but a degree is just a degree. It's the license that matters. For example, America is the only place that requires medical doctorates. Almost every other country groom medical students right out of high school. OTA will let you practice occupational therapy if that is what you want. I know plenty of people that received their PTA/OTA after graduating from a four year. You need to figure out what is more important to you. Again, you can always try to reapply for MOT programs but you will need to cast a wider net for practicality.

I would apply to as many schools as possible next admission cycle. Look for schools that have an interviewing process so that you can share your passion. Also I would go to visit the schools if you are able to learn more about their process. Get as many observation hours as you can with an OT.

Hello,
Okay so I am looking for schools on the East Coast for MOT. Preferably Maryland, PA area. I live in Delaware and applied for Wesley College's program which will be the first in Delaware starting Fall 2016. Still waiting to hear back from them. I applied to Jefferson and Philadelphia University and got denied. They are both very competitive big OT schools. Problem is my undergrad GPA SUCKS! Its a 2.4. I graduated with a Nutrition degree not really knowing what direction I wanted to go in with my career so I wasn't too motivated in school. I now know that OT is what I want to do and since then I have taken all the required prereqs and gotten straight A's. (4.0) I'm afraid all schools are looking at my undergrad GPA rather then the fact that I am completely determined now and ready to work. After I got my denials I asked what to do to help my app for next year. They told me that retaking any classes will look bad and basically telling me to give up and try OTA. I would think retaking a class and getting an A would show that I was working hard to better my application. Sorry I'm going on and on but I really want to get into MOT school! Any suggestions? And does anyone know of any other schools around this area that maybe are a little easier to get into?

I need to get in an start my career already!! HELP!

If I was you I would probably try one more year applying and if I didnt get accepted anywhere switch careers or do OTA. I had a 3.5gpa and those were my options after I got denied my first time applying. I was actually going to do the OTA bc OT is what I reaaally want to do. The reality of the situation is that OT school is getting more and more competitive each year, most schools do not accepted under 2.8 and they prefer 3.0 and above so with a 2.4 they may just disregard you. Maybe contact the schools that you want to apply to and ask if they can review your stats that way you wont waste your time and money. Towson is the only MD OT school and GPA absoultely matters for them especially since they don't consider the GRE. There is nothing wrong with doing the OTA program, but definitely reach out to schools, before you take that route.... and apply to ones that give interviews. And rock out ur GREs.

Do what you think is best for you and dont be hard on urself if you have to go the OTA route bc at the end of the day you will be able to do what you love as oppose to going into a career that requires ur BA, but you hate! Even if you do OTA u still have ur BA which no matter what is a major accomplishment!! Good luck!!

While I agree with you, I know both Salus and Jefferson have plenty of qualified applicants, so even though they both do interviews, I'm not sure it'd matter.

I hate to say this, but you're casting an awfully narrow net. I think Husson in Maine might consider a GPA below 3.0 (since your prereqs are fine), but you should check with them. Some other programs look at your last 60 credits, so you can call and ask them, even if they're not near you.

Have you been doing anything relevant since you graduated, and how long ago was that? How did you do on the GRE/MAT?

I think considering your GPA, if you could start over in an OTA program this summer/fall (if it's not too late), you'd be in a great spot. The MOT is expensive almost everywhere, and you'd be able to save up after working a few years with your associate's.

All hope isn't lost for you eventually getting your MOT, but you're going to have to make sacrifices... Whether it's time, money, location, or all of the three. But if you're determined, you'll eventually get there. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I hate to say this, but you're casting an awfully narrow net. I think Husson in Maine might consider a GPA below 3.0 (since your prereqs are fine), but you should check with them. Some other programs look at your last 60 credits, so you can call and ask them, even if they're not near you.

Have you been doing anything relevant since you graduated, and how long ago was that? How did you do on the GRE/MAT?

I think considering your GPA, if you could start over in an OTA program this summer/fall (if it's not too late), you'd be in a great spot. The MOT is expensive almost everywhere, and you'd be able to save up after working a few years with your associate's.

All hope isn't lost for you eventually getting your MOT, but you're going to have to make sacrifices... Whether it's time, money, location, or all of the three. But if you're determined, you'll eventually get there. Good luck!

Well, i just had my first child who is 3 months old right now and my boyfriend just got into school in Philly so we are not in the position to move far anywhere right now. I have been doing observation hours before I had my son and am about to start some more this summer. I'm also looking into getting a part-time job in an OT/rehab setting for my resume. Since I last minute decided to apply to the MOT programs I did not have much time to study for GRE or get more then 50 obs hours. This year I am now dedicating my time to doing more hours and boosting my application in anyway.

Well, i just had my first child who is 3 months old right now and my boyfriend just got into school in Philly so we are not in the position to move far anywhere right now. I have been doing observation hours before I had my son and am about to start some more this summer. I'm also looking into getting a part-time job in an OT/rehab setting for my resume. Since I last minute decided to apply to the MOT programs I did not have much time to study for GRE or get more then 50 obs hours. This year I am now dedicating my time to doing more hours and boosting my application in anyway.
Ah, okay. Salus looks like they might consider people with under a 3.0. I'd recommend keeping in contact with them, apply early, and take the MAT (if you have a more general knowledge base). It's only 75 and an hour, and probably easier? I decided to attend Jefferson instead because of my research interests, but they were accommodating for my interview. Give them a call and see what they say.

They told you retaking classes would look bad? Usually it's the opposite... but maybe that's just a scam to get more money out of you, idk. Anyway, sometimes a really really good GRE score can offset a poor undergrad GPA. I'm kind of in the same boat- didn't take undergrad too seriously and suffering the consequences of it now.

Was wondering- what about nutrition made you pass? I was very close to majoring in that myself.

They told you retaking classes would look bad? Usually it's the opposite... but maybe that's just a scam to get more money out of you, idk. Anyway, sometimes a really really good GRE score can offset a poor undergrad GPA. I'm kind of in the same boat- didn't take undergrad too seriously and suffering the consequences of it now.

Was wondering- what about nutrition made you pass? I was very close to majoring in that myself.

Yes, Philadelphia University said that it does not look good to have classes retaken on your application. And basically told me to consider the OTA program. Yes I plan on retaking the GRE as well. I changed my major a few times because I thought i wanted to do nursing and my advisor told me to pick a "science based" major to get them out of the way before applying for the accelerated program. I am interested in nutrition and make meal plans for clients at my local gym but I just know there is more I want to be doing. It's not as personal as I would like, giving meal plans and hoping these people follow them.

What is your upper division GPA? I can give you a list of schools in the country you can apply to where you meet the minimum qualifications. You will need to broaden your net and really bring it on your GRE, essay, observations, references, and interview.

I just got into 2 very good schools with a cumulative 2.8 GPA, so it is possible! You must be willing to go anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking at my list your upper division GPA is going to be critical here. That is the last 60 credits of your undergrad. One school on my list will include anything taken post bacc in the last 60 credit hours.

What is your upper division GPA? I can give you a list of schools in the country you can apply to where you meet the minimum qualifications. You will need to broaden your net and really bring it on your GRE, essay, observations, references, and interview.

I just got into 2 very good schools with a cumulative 2.8 GPA, so it is possible! You must be willing to go anywhere.

Not the OP but can you list some of the schools you applied to?? Thanks in advance.

Well I ended up only applying to UF's conditional track, and University of St. Augustine; since I got into both I won't be applying to the other schools on this list, but I was planning on it if I wasn't accepted. Please note that even if you don't meet the minimum requirements, check out their website anyway and see if it says they still consider you if you have a lower than minimum GPA. A few of them said something along the lines of "grade trend will be considered". You will also need to contact them to verify just how they calculate GPAs (if it's upper division, do they only count last 60 of bachelors, or will they add in post-bacc classes too, how much does pre-req GPA factor in etc). Always reach out to the program and see what they say. Note that I looked at the requirements for almost every single accredited program on AOTA's website. Puerto Rico was an option too, but you have to be fluent in spanish.

University of St. Augustine: 3.0 PRE-REQ GPA required. Doesn't make a whole lot of mention of cumulative GPA and they look at grade trend, so I believe they will consider you. They have 4 different campuses I believe, AND take students 3 times a year. My impression is that admission to their winter term is the least competitive. Minimum combined 294 GRE; interview required.

University of Florida: minimum 3.0 upper division GPA and combined 300 on GRE; no interview

Carroll U (note I think this school is in the late stages of the accreditation process): 2.75 cumulative and pre-req GPA (not sure how they calculate)

Midwestern U.: 2.75 cumulative, interview not required

U. of Illinois at Chicago: 3.0 upper division, minimum combined 300 GRE

University of Toledo OTD: 3.0 on ALL course work (sounded like they factored in classes post-bacc, so you could technically raise your GPA high enough to apply by taking more classes)

U. of Wisconsin Madison: 3.0 upper division (does NOT factor in post bacc)

Virginia Commonwealth: 2.7 on ALL coursework, requires 4 in writing on GRE

Stanbridge College: 3.0 upper division; min combined 294 GRE 3.5 on the writing section, interview required

Eastern Kentucky: 3.0 Upper division, plus pre-req GPA; min 288 combined GRE, 3.5 on writing section

Western Michigan: 3.0 on MOST recent 60 credits (so post bacc seems like it would factor into this)

Texas Woman's University: 3.0 upper division of your bachelor's degree

LSU New Orleans campus: 2.5 cumulative, 2.8 pre-req; GRE minimum 150 V, 141Q, 3.5 writing

Reactions: 1 users
Note that I didn't have complete information about interviews (whether or not they are required) for each school.

Well I ended up only applying to UF's conditional track, and University of St. Augustine; since I got into both I won't be applying to the other schools on this list, but I was planning on it if I wasn't accepted. Please note that even if you don't meet the minimum requirements, check out their website anyway and see if it says they still consider you if you have a lower than minimum GPA. A few of them said something along the lines of "grade trend will be considered". You will also need to contact them to verify just how they calculate GPAs (if it's upper division, do they only count last 60 of bachelors, or will they add in post-bacc classes too, how much does pre-req GPA factor in etc). Always reach out to the program and see what they say. Note that I looked at the requirements for almost every single accredited program on AOTA's website. Puerto Rico was an option too, but you have to be fluent in spanish.

University of St. Augustine: 3.0 PRE-REQ GPA required. Doesn't make a whole lot of mention of cumulative GPA and they look at grade trend, so I believe they will consider you. They have 4 different campuses I believe, AND take students 3 times a year. My impression is that admission to their winter term is the least competitive. Minimum combined 294 GRE; interview required.

University of Florida: minimum 3.0 upper division GPA and combined 300 on GRE; no interview

Carroll U (note I think this school is in the late stages of the accreditation process): 2.75 cumulative and pre-req GPA (not sure how they calculate)

University of Toledo OTD: 3.0 on ALL course work (sounded like they factored in classes post-bacc, so you could technically raise your GPA high enough to apply by taking more classes)

Stanbridge College: 3.0 upper division; min combined 294 GRE 3.5 on the writing section, interview required

Eastern Kentucky: 3.0 Upper division, plus pre-req GPA; min 288 combined GRE, 3.5 on writing section

Western Michigan: 3.0 on MOST recent 60 credits (so post bacc seems like it would factor into this)

LSU New Orleans campus: 2.5 cumulative, 2.8 pre-req; GRE minimum 150 V, 141Q, 3.5 writing

Virginia CommonWealth ONLY looks at the top 150 applicants soo even if they say u can have a 2.7 u shouldnt even waste ur time and money as they decide on the top 150 by GPA and GRE ONLY. I had a 3.48 cumulative and I didnt even make the cut... I know this because I contacted the school when I didn't get in and unless they have completely changed their application selection in the last year I wouldnt even bother applying to them if you have a low GPA.

I have a 2.4 undergrad GPA and 4.0 prereq GPA. East Coast would be more reasonable if you have a list of those. I live in Delaware and just had my first child, my boyfriend just got into U sciences in Philly and starts in the fall so we are not able to move any time soon.

I looked at every accredited program in the country; east coast schools aren't on there bc their minimum requirements were too high for me. The vast majority of schools require a cumulative GPA of 3.0 and those are the only schools I found that don't have that requirement (again in the entire country, I didn't just search regionally, I literally spent over 10 hours looking at program requirements for every school listed on the AOTA site).

Thats all the info I have. Perhaps a distance learning program would be better for you; they are generally less competitive and only require you to be physically present on weekends. That way you could expand your distance a lot more.

I looked at every accredited program in the country; east coast schools aren't on there bc their minimum requirements were too high for me. The vast majority of schools require a cumulative GPA of 3.0 and those are the only schools I found that don't have that requirement (again in the entire country, I didn't just search regionally, I literally spent over 10 hours looking at program requirements for every school listed on the AOTA site).

Thats all the info I have. Perhaps a distance learning program would be better for you; they are generally less competitive and only require you to be physically present on weekends. That way you could expand your distance a lot more.

Thanks so much for all your help! Best of luck to you.

I wasnt going to comment here but I skimmed and saw that a school told you to consider OTA.

LOL

You can get into an OT school that doesn't care about retakes. Just make sure you get As in them.

Reactions: 4 users

Thank you so much for writing this all up! Was not expecting such a detailed reply- much appreciated. Luckily, I do have over a 3.0 but it's still considered on the lower side. This list should help me narrow down my choices a bit- again, thanks.

Thank you so much for writing this all up! Was not expecting such a detailed reply- much appreciated. Luckily, I do have over a 3.0 but it's still considered on the lower side. This list should help me narrow down my choices a bit- again, thanks.
Maybe add AIC, Bay Path, and Husson to your list? I think they also accept lower GPAs.

Thanks so much for all your help! Best of luck to you.

You're quite welcome! Wanted to tell you I had a realization! I did leave some schools off this list if they had too many pre-reqs I didn't have (didn't want to consider schools that required courses like neuro that I can't take where I live)...SO. If I were you I would go to the AOTA site, then OT schools, then search accredited programs. They are organized by state so you should be able to look at any and all schools in your area. They provide links to the schools websites. Sorry, that was a big over sight on my part! You might still luck out and find a program close to you that doesn't harp on cumulative so much. Good luck to you!

What schools did you get into? I have a 2.8 GPA

I actually just got accepted into Wesley's program! It's their first year which I'm nervous about but they seem to have all their stuff together. It will be the first MOT school on Delaware. I got in with a 2.4 undergrad and 4.0 prerequisite. I think my interview helped me a lot

If you are looking in the same area as the original poster of this thread, I might suggest Shenandoah University which is in Va and offers a hybrid / flex format. Misericordia in PA is great program that offers flex / weekend program. Their GPA is a 3.0, but they do offer interviews so you could impress them there and I don't believe they require a GRE. Also I believe Trinity University in Washington DC is working on getting accredited and they offer a hybrid program as well. It may not be a walk in the park and you may have to think outside the box, but you can get there! Best of Luck! :)