east virginia medical school (opinions?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nrddct

carlover
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I checked out their website to try to find more info. There's not much and the layout really sucks. Anyone that interviewed there yet? Maybe you can help out by providing opinions about what makes EVMS shine. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There was another post recently from people who'd interviewed. They mentioned the great standardized patient program, and the friendliness of the student body.

Also check out the interview feedback; there are some comments.

What makes EVMS shine? Well, I'm not going to write your secondary for you, but I LOVED this school. The med students seem incredibly happy and the standardized patient program is setting the standard for all others in the country. They send their SPs to Jefferson and Duke and a number of other places (and their SPs are used for STEP II Clinical Skills). Loved it. Loved it. Loved it. I never came off the waitlist, but a ton of people do come off the waitlist. Wait, did I mention that I LOVED THIS SCHOOL? I liked it so much that I considered turning down an acceptance, moving to Virginia, and re-applying as a resident of VA.

Make sure you put a lot of effort into your secondary. They really want people who want them. And they don't even send secondaries to everyone, they are looking (I think) for people who are focused on primary care (and really, the match list is good, but very primary care heavy, so if you want to do primary care it's a great place, but if you want to follow the ROAD then it might not be - although they are starting up, or maybe already have, their own derm residency).

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, last year there were three derms matches. Not bad for a little school.

My main concerns with the school have to do with research opportunities. Simply put, there aren't a whole lot -- but there are some. EVMS looks to be a great school for any aspiring clinician, and their pass rates and match stats make it a good choice for just about anyone. If you're looking to do heavy research, then you're probably looking at the wrong place. I believe EVMS is busily trying to up their research budgets, but it's not going to change overnight.

Hi there,
I am a Virginia resident and after interviewing there and getting an acceptance, I crossed it off my list. I just did not like the location. The student body was OK and the faculty seemed OK but I preferred VCU (was MCV) and UVa.

While it's not for everyone, my former undergraduate classmates who attended and graduated from there were pretty happy with their choice. The price was right for a Virginia resident too.

Good luck!
njbmd :)

ms1finally said:
the standardized patient program is setting the standard for all others in the country. They send their SPs to Jefferson and Duke and a number of other places (and their SPs are used for STEP II Clinical Skills).

Is it just me or does every med school say this.....I have had two interviews and both med schools said they had one of the best SP programs in the country. And one even said they were the first to come up with the idea? JUst Thinking.

No, EVMS really does set the standard. They send their patients to Duke and Jefferson to train THEIR students, their SPs are used on the Step II CS. You meet an SP in your interview. They didn't tell us they were first, but it doesn't really matter who is first, just who is best.

Hi, thanks for the responses. I feel lucky to be sent a secondary. I just had trouble finding their brochure online. I'll definitely spend time on their secondary. However the questions seems pretty standard. ?
What is the location like? Small town? I take it that its a pretty small school.

When moving to Norfolk after I was accepted...I wasn't too excited b/c my impression was "there is a ton of cranes" and I thought it was going to be dreary. But there is soooo much to do, and Norfolk is a really great place.

-VA Beach is a 15 minute drive some school (a curse and a blessing)
-There are so many great bars and restaurants downtown (very hip and trendy- from irish pubs to dance clubs)
-There are zoos, museums, opera halls, theater houses, etc EVERYWHERE
-The Norva is a great venue that hosts lots of musicians (tickets are priced well too!)
-Colley Ave. (right outside the school) is a great street with restaurants, bars, and independent theaters
-The sunsets are amazing
- D.C. and the mountains are with a 4 hour drive

Not too shabby.

to those who interviewed in early sept, i called and they gave me their decision over the phone a few days ago

apps-suck said:
to those who interviewed in early sept, i called and they gave me their decision over the phone a few days ago
Oh my gosh you have to be kidding. You mean I could find out right now? I dont think I can make the call... :scared:

Well, I was going to refrain from posting that bit of info, since I just envisioned a flood of phone calls pouring into EVMS's admissions office now. But I guess the damage has been done.

Yes, I called. :scared: I don't know what the proper thing to do is, since official notification isn't until 10/15; also, it would be really easy for someone to figure out who I am here, and I wouldn't want to give away any info to adcoms at other schools. So I don't think I'll share what they said, except to say that I was told a decision.

FWIW, I interviewed at EVMS on 9/9.