easy admission schools??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tprice108

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my first choice is university of south carolina....does anybody know any schools that are easier to get in (in the southeast)? or a chart of admission rates or something?

Members don't see this ad.

I hate to be the one to say it but there are no "easy admission" schools of pharmacy. Schools get 1000's of applications a year for maybe 100 seats. I suggust you look at pharmcas. They have lots of basic information and can be your friend with answering questions. Also, if you search the forums you will see that this question has been asked several times and each one gets the same answer. I wish you luck in your search.

South Carolina is MINE!

Just kidding. SC is a toughie though. It's a combined program between USC and MUSC. They accept 190 applicants out of 700+. 110 applicants go to Columbia campus, and 80 applicants go to Charleston campus. Charleston is considered to be the "more attractive" city. You get your choice of campuses, but it's based on ranking, so cross your fingers and hope everyone else is dying to see Columbia.

Average GPA for acceptance is 3.58
Average PCAT is 72.

This is a competitive school because it is the ONLY school available to SC residents. So you may not see a California or New York-style competitiveness, but you will have a lot of competition because everyone coming out of SC will try to go there to save cash. Consider applying to private universities nearby -- Wingate and Campbell. Campbell's average GPA is 3.5; Wingate's is 3.6. No, it's not all about GPA, but that's all I've got so far. Good luck. May you apply soon and be accepted, so that I'm not competing with you later. Hmph. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
what i meant was 'easier admission schools.' usc pharmacy is a top 25 pharmacy program, so there must be many many more schools that aren't as challenging to get in. of course none are easy, but there is such a thing as easier. i need a back up plan...thanks

I think you're relying too much on ranking. UNC-Chapel Hill is a... top 2? MUSC/USC combined is a top 25? But you're going to see comparative numbers of applicants all across the spectrum. Even with the less "competitive" pharmacy schools, you're still seeing 100 seats for 500-1000 applicants. If you want to stay in the southeast, you're out of luck for an "easier" school. Your best bet is to apply to all the private universities across the country that you have a shot at, and be prepared to move if they accept you as your backup plan.

haha thanks 'allnuclear.' its sucks that we have only one school in sc to apply to. wingate doesn't sound like fun, b/c i don't know much about the place, but it was on my list to apply to. thanks for the heads up about cambell, and maybe i wont take your spot.....

haha thanks 'allnuclear.' its sucks that we have only one school in sc to apply to. wingate doesn't sound like fun, b/c i don't know much about the place, but it was on my list to apply to. thanks for the heads up about cambell, and maybe i wont take your spot.....

But you will take my spot at Campbell. Boo you!

easier schools are private and have crappy athletic teams.

:) I may have to agree...
Easier schools are 0-6 programs, but that means you'd have to spend 6 more years in school.

no such thing as easy admission school... would you want your pharmacist to get in an easy admission school and come out learning half the material and then fubar your drug?

As for ranking thats just the media doing its own little malarkey. Even the schools with low stat wise will have plenty of candidate with very competitive scores albeit i think those schools are more safety schools for them.

From what I have read, it is easier to get into the brand new schools because more competitive applicants prefer already established schools. It is also easier to get into rolling admissions schools if you apply early.

there is no such thing as easy admission schools. All schools are competitive, even the "newer" schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
no such thing as easy admission school... would you want your pharmacist to get in an easy admission school and come out learning half the material and then fubar your drug?

As for ranking thats just the media doing its own little malarkey. Even the schools with low stat wise will have plenty of candidate with very competitive scores albeit i think those schools are more safety schools for them.

Go back 30 years and I would say that all schools were easy admission schools.

The problem is that there is a lag. The demand for pharmacists is up, and there is a large potential supply of pharmacists, but the schools have not caught up to the point where you have 2,000 graduates per class in every school. That would help the problem a lot.

there was about 5k graduated pharmacist last year for the whole country :eek:

Go back 30 years and I would say that all schools were easy admission schools.

The problem is that there is a lag. The demand for pharmacists is up, and there is a large potential supply of pharmacists, but the schools have not caught up to the point where you have 2,000 graduates per class in every school. That would help the problem a lot.

LMAO @ sparda's conjecture about the future of pharmacy, and his ability to time travel back in time 30 years to tell us how easy pharmacy school was.

He said easy admissions, not easy pharmacy school. I know some OLD pharmacists (up to age 85 and still working) and they said it was easy to get in (in california). They still had good gpas, just way less pre reqs and less intense courses. They said the highest math required was trig and their bio contained about 1/4 the information ours does now. They always seem shocked when I tell them how it is now and all the requirements they require. One of them told me he was getting paid 8.50 an hour when he graduated in 1962. :laugh: I guess that was good money back then.

I know exactly what sparda meant, and it was a typo on my part. I just find it hilarious that he made a assumption about pharmacy admissions from 30 years ago as if his words meant anything. Now granted if he was a old timer, then his experience would be more relevent.

I know exactly what sparda meant, and it was a typo on my part. I just find it hilarious that he made a assumption about pharmacy admissions from 30 years ago as if his words meant anything. Now granted if he was a old timer, then his experience would be more relevent.

Well, that's because of how the pharmacist I work for got in. He was all set to go to LIU, but he was wondering if St. John's had any spots open so as he was driving by, he just stopped there, went to admissions and asked if there were any spots open.

He spoke to the dean right there while wearing just plain clothes and got in.

That isn't gonna happen now.

there was about 5k graduated pharmacist last year for the whole country :eek:

now is that :eek: for being too small or too large?

be funny if there are more rite aid/walgreens/cvs/etc pharmacies opening in the whole country then the number of graduated pharmacist last year.

Well, that's because of how the pharmacist I work for got in. He was all set to go to LIU, but he was wondering if St. John's had any spots open so as he was driving by, he just stopped there, went to admissions and asked if there were any spots open.

He spoke to the dean right there while wearing just plain clothes and got in.

That isn't gonna happen now.

Maybe it could happen, if you offered sexual favors, just kidding :laugh:

One of the old pharmacists i worked with went to USC. They told him which classes to take, he took them, then got in. His family couldn't afford to pay for his tuiton so he asked USC about a work study program or something of that nature. They said they would have some alumni call him up. So, the alumni called him up and said that they would pay his tuiton and if he wanted he could pay them back, but if not it was ok. Haha I doubt that would happen now, especially at 34,000 a year!

Competitiveness is probably the better word to describe easy admission schools. That being said, there aren't any easy schools that are lenient on standards.

Competitiveness is multifaceted. Applications to seats ratio is an indicator, the average GPA and PCAT are indicators also. The higher these are, the more competitive the school is making getting in more difficult versus another school with lower numbers. Also, public schools tend to prefer in-state students making the schools in your state relatively "easier" to get into than private schools and out-of-state public schools.