Eating Cheap when You're Away from Home

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wiesal

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Eating out frequently is putting a hole in my pocket, and it's probably not the best thing for my health.

What are some dishes that are easy to prepare, cheap, and can be made by someone with no cooking experience?

What foods should I stock up on in the grocery store?

What are some tips for a clueless kid who needs to feed himself for cheap in general?

Members don't see this ad.

Budgetbytes is a really good site :)

Rice and beans are a staple. Spice em up with chicken thighs and cheese. Roast potatoes are easy too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Pasta carbonara, 1 egg, some bacon, some cheese, salt n pepper, pasta, water, done. Super quick too, less than 10 minutes of prep. And the legit version contains no cream so you save on that $ as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rotisserie chickens that you purchase ready-made (usually near the deli counter of the grocery store) can be a cheap and easy source of protein. I find it to be yummy on a sandwich or with a baked potato (can be made in the microwave to save time) and frozen veggies. I tend to put a teeny bit of gravy or bbq sauce on the chicken for flavor.

Eggs are a very cheap and easy source of protein that is also good on some whole wheat toast.

Milk is a nice, cheap source of protein as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user

My roommate dumpster dived in college. The thing that scares me about this is the fruits and veggies that look okay could have something wrong with them. Who’s to say an employee didn’t accidentally spray a chemical on them or something?

To OP, spaghetti is a GREAT and easy meal. I always had spaghetti sauce and noodles in my kitchen during college so I could make food easily.

Who’s to say an employee didn’t accidentally spray a chemical on them or something?

I share your concern, but you know that there are already tons of pesticides coating every fruit and veggie sold in US markets. Scrub with dilute baking soda solution.

i don't spend more than 10-15 minutes on food for the most part when i'm on call. i've learned there are pretty quick meals that are hard to mess up. here are some basic pointers for cheap and easy stuff.

1) carbs: rice or pasta, super easy to make, just follow instructions on the box. pasta generally cooks in 3-5 minutes, just take it out when it's soft. i like rice because leftovers keep well.
2) veggies: good veggies that keep well in fridge are snap peas, onions, red/green/yellow peppers. cut as much as you like, can be eaten raw (in case of the peppers, for a snack) or put in a stir fry (below). wrap whatever you don't use in some saran wrap and put in fridge.
3) meat: you can't beat boneless skinless chicken breasts. buy a whole bunch, put separately in plastic ziploc bags, and freeze. they stay forever. when you need one, just take one out and plop it in warm water (still in the bag) to defrost while you prep the veggies. or for super quick defrost, run the bag under hot water in the sink.
4) in the cupboard: garlic (big clove, rip off as much as you want and leave the rest); olive oil (there are two types: one for "frying and baking," and one for dressings. ideal to have both, but the frying one is what you want. it will say that on the bottle)
5) sauces: teriyaki sauce, hot sauce (my favorites are sriracha and cholula), soy sauce.
6) spices: salt, pepper, chicken seasoning, cajun seasoning. for the more adventurous, thyme and oregano (best on lamb, but lamb is pricy-- i didn't make it regularly til i became an attending! ha)

a favorite quick recipe of mine is stir fry:
1. put the rice in the rice cooker or in a pot so it's being cooked while you make the rest of the food (rice doesn't require stirring or anything, just an occasional check to make sure it doesn't dry out-- just follow box instructions).
2. cut up into cubes whatever veggies you have: i use half a large onion, half a red/yellow/green pepper, and whatever else i have on hand. also cut one defrosted chicken breast into cubes (do this last, and don't forget to lysol your cutting board after unless you want salmonella). chop up a clove or two of garlic if you like that.
3. coat a big nonstick pan generously with olive oil, put the pan on medium heat, wait until it gets hot (1 min) and then dump chicken in.
4. wait 5 minutes and dump rest of veggies in. add salt, pepper, just a pinch nothing crazy. stir for 5 more minutes.
5. when the chicken is white (about 10 min total cook time), dump half a cup of teriyaki sauce into the pan and stand back because it will fizzle. stir everything around and let it soak in the teriyaki sauce for a minute or two. when most of the sauce has evaporated, take pan off the heat and dump over rice.
6. voila. add hot sauce, soy sauce (although teriyaki sauce is salty enough in my opinion), and enjoy.

Reactions: 3 users
Rice:

Box of Rice - $1
Bag of Lentils or Beans - $1

You can add some meat or cheese to make it better too. Go Mexican and add sour cream and salsa even, or just had a touch of butter or oil (more expensive), corn etc.

Boil each until they're soft, mix and bam you have a meal for like 4 days for $2.

It is fairly healthy (protein, fiber, iron etc.) but here's some more of my favorite cheap techniques then don't taste terrible/are awful for you (ramen).

Pasta:

Box of pasta - $1
Jar of Marinara - $3 (max)
Parmesan - $2 (max)
Chicken or Ground beef - $5, put the rest in your freezer

This is enough food for a couple of days, too.

Omlette:

Carton of eggs - $2 (max)
Tomato - $1
Mushroom - $2
Spinach - $2
Onion - $0.50
Butter - $2

Sandwiches:

Bread - $1
Deli Meat - $3
Shredded lettuce - $1
Spinach - $2
Tomato - $1
Cheese - $3

For this one you can go crazy. Replace deli meat with chicken breast, ground beef burger (cheap), canned tuna & mayo(very cheap), canned chicken and mayo(very cheap), and you can replace the bread with wraps.

These are all really cheap simple meals that will feed you for days for no more than $10.

Reactions: 1 user
For winter, a slow cooker is a great investment. 20$ at Walmart and all you do is drop in ingredients & let it do it's thing overnight or while you're at work.
- Slow cooker chili: Can of black beans & white beans, can of diced tomato, can of corn, some taco seasoning & some pan-fried ground beef. Dump it all in & leave on low for 8 hours. Without the meat this can be made for less than $2 with tons of leftovers!
- Slow cooker pulled pork/chicken: Pork shoulder, BBQ sauce, brown sugar, chicken stock, and some garlic/onion powder. Put on low and go study for 5-6 hours. When you come back you can serve it on some hamburger buns or tacos!
- Slow cooker beef stew is another of my favorites.

Definitely stock up on canned goods: beans and chickpeas are cheap protein, tomato paste is infinitely useful.

Frozen veggies are just as nutritions (if not more so) than fresh in the winter, and cheap! Get some frozen peas, spinach, corn, and whatever you desire. They're good in stir fries or in pasta. I stir frozen spinach into my pasta sauce and mac and cheese.

Eggs are one of the cheapest form of complete proteins, but canned tuna and salmon are excellent as well.

Happy cooking!

Sheet pan dinners have been my thing lately.

Pick a meat (chicken works well and is generally affordable), two veggies (brussel sprouts, carrots, asparagus, etc), and something for flavoring (onion, garlic).

Cube/chop into approx. 1 inch squares for everything. Toss in a bag bowl or bag with olive oil, salt, pepper, and any flavorings you want (italian dressing, honey + teriyaki sauce, barbecue sauce). Cook in a 400* oven for roughly 20 minutes, or until meat is no longer pink when you cut it and the veggies are tender.

++pro tip: cover sheet pans with parchment paper and your cleanup is practically nothing

Eating out frequently is putting a hole in my pocket, and it's probably not the best thing for my health.

What are some dishes that are easy to prepare, cheap, and can be made by someone with no cooking experience?

What foods should I stock up on in the grocery store?

What are some tips for a clueless kid who needs to feed himself for cheap in general?

YouTube will save you.