eating disorder v. disordered eating

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JockNerd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick check to see if anyone knows any major lit that talks about studying disordered eating (i.e. continuums of problems) vs. eating disorders (i.e categorical diagnosis)? I'm looking this up but I want to make sure I'm not missing something foundational.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This was a big topic for discussion at the NEDA conference a couple weeks ago, probably sparked by the changes being proposed to the current DSM diagnoses. May want to check out the conference reviews, if there are any yet, to see if there was any actual research presented about this.

(by the way, hi, I'm new to SDN, and will probably be posting a tldr intro of sorts soon :p )

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to SDN :)

To clarify, my question is more about literature on why it's useful to research disordered eating, not just eating disorders (e.g., disordered eating is still problematic, is precursive to ED, is clinically significant, etc.)

If you can't find any literature specific to eating pathology, you could always draw from the larger discussion of the benefits of studying dimensional vs. categorical models.