Eating disorders?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliGirl14

No worries.
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this question has been asked before, but how do adcomms view a med school candidate with a history of an eating disorder?

I've battled with one for the past (several) years, and it has severely affected my school habits. I don't have horrible grades, but I've had to drop several classes. I know we have to explain why, but I'm afraid that I having an "eating disorder" will hinder my chances? I don't want to lie either, but I'm not sure how I should go about this?
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can go about it in euphemism I. E. "I was dealing with finding a balance between my self and school work and had to dial back to recollect myself a few times." That isn't my most eloquent wording but you get the idea. Just be sure to talk about how you've improved from that point, etc.
You could also mention it explicitly, especially if you feel you could address a "hardest challenge" secondary question with it. Again just focus on what you learned and how it will help you relate to patients.

I have a close friend that has struggled with this, I offer whatever empathy one can convey over the Internet. Don't sweat this though, it will never conquer you nor your medical school aspirations.

Hard to say, the general rule of thumb is to not talk about mental illness during interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't bring it up. Make sure it's well under control before you apply - med school stress, etc.

This relates to the question, "can you do the work?" Past performance is often used as a gauge of future performance. Medical school tends to be very lock-step and one usually loses an entire year if the work load becomes too much and has to be dialed back. Schools are very motivated to move students through in 4 years of classes (ideally nobody "stays back" and repeats a year).

So, is whatever caused you to drop over and done with? Someone who suffered major trauma and withdrew from classes for surgery and rehab but came back at 100% wouldn't raise an eyebrow. On the other hand, someone with a chronic condition that has been out of control to the point of requiring a dialing back of the demand of coursework could be a cause for concern. It doesn't matter if the disease is lupus (it's never lupus ;)) or bulimia, the adcom will need to know that the condition is in remission or controlled with treatment and not likely to cause an interruption of one's med school career. If you can offer that assurance, you should be fine.

I myself struggled with an eating disorder for years and had to go into treatment during undergrad and add another year to give myself time to be in a good place in my recovery before applying. On my application, I just mentioned having a health issue I had to take care of which explained my 5th yr of school and some not so great grades the semester before treatment. It never came up during my interview and I did add it to my medical record when I was accepted but nobody has asked about yet. So I guess if you are still struggling, I would recommend getting solid in your recovery before trying. If you are doing well then go for it and be confident in yourself! If you have any more questions s feel free to pm me!

Stay strong! :)