Ebola to U.S.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VCU07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
An Ebola pt. is being brought to the US...Emory University Hospital in Atlanta for treatment. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

simpson_end_near.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If I recall correctly, US was also home to the only airborne strain of Ebola. Luckily it only affected monkeys.

Reactions: 1 user
It's really not going to spread if everyone follows the safety precautions, and given the high profileness of all of this, I would think (hope) that all the safety precautions will be followed. Even if not, ebola has been around since the 1970's and hasn't caused any pandemics, so I'm not convinced its anymore of a worry than any other deadly disease we face in the world.

Reactions: 2 users
It's really not going to spread if everyone follows the safety precautions, and given the high profileness of all of this, I would think (hope) that all the safety precautions will be followed. Even if not, ebola has been around since the 1970's and hasn't caused any pandemics, so I'm not convinced its anymore of a worry than any other deadly disease we face in the world.

What do you mean I can't give mouth to mouth to the patient?? That's what I do to every patient when I'm rounding in the morning! How else am I supposed to check their breathing function??

More than likely the real reason the US is bringing them here is so that the CDC can get fresh live samples to shift over to the military industrial complex labs. :biglove:

An Ebola pt. is being brought to the US...Emory University Hospital in Atlanta for treatment. Thoughts?

While there is risk, a highly visible case is likely to be kept secure. Although I don't think it's just purely humanitarian.

What is more risky are the ones you don't see. A patient who's infected, during incubation period, asymptomatic, gets on a plane to the US, goes to a hospital whose staff doesn't recognize the symptoms at first...

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody know how the infected doctor got infected? Clearly as an MD he would know how ebola spreads. Did he get infected by a patient before he knew the patient had ebola? I was under the impression he was over there to help with the outbreak, and would therefore have been playing it safe the whole time.

Anybody know how the infected doctor got infected? Clearly as an MD he would know how ebola spreads. Did he get infected by a patient before he knew the patient had ebola? I was under the impression he was over there to help with the outbreak, and would therefore have been playing it safe the whole time.
One would think...its been my experience, the more chronic danger people are exposed to, the more they start to take their safety for granted & get lazy about protocols. I'm not saying this is what happened here, just that I think it is one of several possibilities. (probably the more likely possibility was that he was exposed to it in a grocery store or something by someone just coming down with it)

Also, something you don't really appreciate is how easy it is to spread minute amounts of potentially infected material around until you use a super sensitive detection method like a gamma counter with radioactive fluids. You can be beyond careful and see no visible material yet the counter will find activity that was spread inadvertently.

I read this book when it came out 20 years ago...
upload_2014-8-4_9-24-14.jpeg

I'd rather not have the Ebola virus in the United States, thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to know about this magical serum they gave the guy that brought him from the edge of death to just fine in 20 minutes. WTF? This is the most fascinating medical breakthrough I've ever heard of.

I read this book when it came out 20 years ago...
View attachment 184237

I'd rather not have the Ebola virus in the United States, thank you very much.

Haha I used to work at a library and randomly grabbed the book one day and read the first couple chapters. Something about a cave in Africa and bleeding out of every orifice of your body...

I want to know about this magical serum they gave the guy that brought him from the edge of death to just fine in 20 minutes. WTF? This is the most fascinating medical breakthrough I've ever heard of.

It's just like that secret monkey serum the military had secretly stockpiled for biological warefare in the movie. Of course had that not worked, they would nuke the city as fail safe. ;)

It's just like that secret monkey serum the military had secretly stockpiled for biological warefare in the movie. Of course had that not worked, they would nuke the city as fail safe. ;)

Nuke Atlanta? Well, there'd be three less pharmacy schools (Mercer and PCOM would be direct hits; UGA would be in the fallout zone and shuttered as well).
Undoubtedly there will be some advocates of this plan on SDN.

I was very surprised to see Dr. Brantly WALKING into the hospital! I think he's going to recover. I was also surprised that he was even stable enough to be transported in the first place.

Before Lassa fever was identified in the late 1960s, the missionary nurse whose illness led to its discovery was flown from Nigeria to NYC on a commercial plane as a stretcher case, the only isolation being a privacy curtain! And there was a lab worker who drew up Lassa-infected serume with a cotton-plugged mouth pipette.

As for how he got it, he was probably exposed early on, before anyone realized what all those people really had. The early symptoms are very similar to malaria.

Doesn't mean no one ever get needle sticks... Statistics applies to all of us.

The CDC is definitely using them as live research subjects. Hopefully, to find a treatment/cure...although the serum seems to have worked remarkably. I do wonder about the CDCs policies after the news a few weeks back. Hopefully, they are more diligent during this time.

Reviving an old thread: Any DFW-area people here, and what do you think about what's going on?

It sounds like people in Africa and elsewhere are presenting with widely variable symptoms. Last week, Nancy Writebol, the female survivor who contrary to initial reports is not a nurse, was describing her symptoms to Anderson Cooper - high fever, diarrhea, bleeding, muscle pain, etc. - and he said, "Did you throw up?" and she replied, "No, I never did." Afterwards, Cooper chuckled a bit out of embarrassment and said, "That's the first time I've ever asked anyone in an interview if they had recently vomited." It sounds like Dr. Brantly did enough of that for both of them and then some, and has also said that the worst thing for him was not that, or being separated from his family, or realizing at one point that his death might be imminent, but that he literally had to have his diapers changed despite being conscious and at least somewhat mobile. That's not exactly how he phrased it, but yeah, I knew what he meant.

The NBC cameraman (I can't remember his name) also climbed out of the ambulance himself, and reports are saying he's able to eat and drink but is still seriously ill and in isolation.

In case you hadn't heard, Dr. Richard Sacra, who went back home to Massachusetts after his initial hospital discharge, was admitted to a local hospital this weekend with a respiratory infection. His own doctors consider him to still be immune-compromised and don't want to take any chances.

As for us here in the upper Midwest (and no, I do not live in the Omaha area), I'm not afraid of this. I'm more concerned about enterovirus and in fact think I had it a couple weeks ago.

p.s. I also do not believe that these were the first Ebola cases in the U.S. International travel being what it is, there have had to have been other cases in this country and others that were never properly diagnosed, and the people either got better or (more likely) died.

http://vaccineresistancemovement.org/?page_id=11240

"The cost-effective vaccine, MenAfriVac®,(less than US$0.50 per dose) was “kept outside the cold chain for up to four days at up to 40°C”.

"Symptoms of ‘Acute fulminating Meningococcal Septicemia’, a virulent form of bacterial meningitis (marked by extreme vomiting, hemorrhaging – excessive bleeding around the eyes & mouth, severe blackish bruising on the arms & legs), closely resemble those seen in Ebola victims."

http://www.meningvax.org/

http://www.ageofautism.com/2013/01/did-menafrivac-paralyze-40-children-in-gouro-chad.html

http://real-agenda.com/tag/menafrivac/

"A year later, in 2001, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation provided a ten-year, $70 million grant to establish the Meningitis Vaccine Project, a partnership between PATH and the World Health Organization." --Wiki entry

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/Media-Center/Press-Releases/2001/05/Meningitis-in-SubSaharan-Africa

http://vaccineresistancemovement.org/?page_id=11240

"The cost-effective vaccine, MenAfriVac®,(less than US$0.50 per dose) was “kept outside the cold chain for up to four days at up to 40°C”.

"Symptoms of ‘Acute fulminating Meningococcal Septicemia’, a virulent form of bacterial meningitis (marked by extreme vomiting, hemorrhaging – excessive bleeding around the eyes & mouth, severe blackish bruising on the arms & legs), closely resemble those seen in Ebola victims."

http://www.meningvax.org/

http://www.ageofautism.com/2013/01/did-menafrivac-paralyze-40-children-in-gouro-chad.html

http://real-agenda.com/tag/menafrivac/

"A year later, in 2001, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation provided a ten-year, $70 million grant to establish the Meningitis Vaccine Project, a partnership between PATH and the World Health Organization." --Wiki entry

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/Media-Center/Press-Releases/2001/05/Meningitis-in-SubSaharan-Africa

Let me guess...Apple user?

Let me guess...Apple user?

Oh I hate Apple. Nothing but marketing fluff, no real innovation, just trapping suckers into a rent-seeking ecosystem. Even though IBM's, oops I meant Microsoft Windows is spyware, it leaves you free to wander the prison yard.

This ebola crap is getting out of hand. The hysteria could be ramped up as a cover for global capital controls. It'll be this and so-called cyber attacks against the banks. Before a reset they will need capital in a stasis while currencies are revalued against each other. Then when markets reopen expect gates. Only such much can be withdrawn at a time for certain assets if at all. I really would not want to be in any kind of tax deferred vehicle like a 401k.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...ers-Increases-People-s-Distrust-of-Government

Notice how the CDC is positioning itself as the white hat in this travel crackdown.

http://thehill.com/policy/transport...onal-ebola-screening-for-flights-on-the-table

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...c-Health-England-but-rules-out-screening.html

http://www.newsweek.com/2014/10/17/if-ebola-makes-it-us-government-has-plan-275919.html

And by the way tomorrow morning is the second Blood Moon of the 2014-15 Tetrad.

The times are slated as follows–the partial eclipse begins at 5:18 a.m. EDT, with the full eclipse beginning at about an hour later at 6:27 a.m.

The maximum eclipse is set for 6:55 a.m., with the full eclipse ending at 7:22 a.m. Sunrise will take place at 7:57 a.m.

maxresdefault.jpg

And the markets just closed at the bottom. Enjoy the Shemitah!

Hey don't say that about Dr Mengele. I mean Bill Gates. Anyhow that's not Bill Gates in that video, he's not talking about Agenda 21 and if that was him he misspoke. He would never do anything to harm people in third world countries.

The latest (and let's hope last) American Ebola patient, Dr. Craig Spencer, is reported to be virus-free and is scheduled to be discharged from the hospital tomorrow. :) :clap:

I've seen interviews with Drs. Sacra and Brantly from the last couple of weeks, and they both look healthy and have visibly gained weight since their own hospital stays - not a bad thing in either case. Dr. Sacra is itching to go back to Liberia, and said that while he was the sickest he's ever been in his life and had several really miserable days, he didn't realize just how critically ill he was until he saw his chart: "My platelets were LOOOOOW! Wow, I was really sick." In another, he admitted that he's had a few embarrassing moments out in public, when he's been recognized and people backed away a bit or pulled their children away. And a couple weeks ago, I had CNN on as background noise, and they went to the White House where Obama was going to talk about the military response, but the voice wasn't his. Sure enough, the man at the podium was a 30-something red-haired Caucasian who Obama later called "Keith". Oops. Oh, well - he's been called worse things over the past few months, as have the others ("Christ Krispie", that kind of thing :mad:)

The Ebola survivor mentioned in the OP, and five others, were on the "Today" show this morning. Warning: Matt Lauer asks a very cringe-worthy question at 2:15.

2:15 wasn't the only cringe-worthy question. The people handled the dumb questions posed by the journalist quite well.

Just last night, I was dinking around on You Tube, and found THIS, from Jimmy Kimmel's "Unnecessary Censorship". I had Tivo'd the "Dateline" special, and saw this before I had a chance to watch that. :p

I wonder if any of the people who have an opinion - good, bad, or indifferent - about the Christian missionaries getting Ebola know about Ashoka Mukpo's background. When I found out about THAT, I literally sprayed a mouthful of water all over my computer screen and sat there like this :wow:. I got the impression that he did not have a conventional upbringing (although the Sacra and Writebol children certainly didn't, and the Brantly kids probably won't either, as MKs) and that his parents were public figures on some level, because they were so comfortable being interviewed on live TV under extremely desperate circumstances, but I had absolutely no idea it was anything like that. In short, his family is the subject of two documentary movies (one of them aired on Canadian public television) and here's a magazine article from 2012.

http://www.details.com/culture-tren...aving-om-new-buddhist-lifestyle?currentPage=2

They definitely had NO idea that their lives were going to be completely upended in the fall of 2014.

Yesterday, I saw a story that Emory had admitted a possible Ebola case; I haven't heard any more. No news is good news - that's how I feel about it.

A Cuban physician, Dr. Felix Baez, who contracted Ebola in Sierra Leone and was sent to Switzerland for treatment, has recovered. He got ZMab, an analog of ZMapp, and says he looks forward to going back.

And this story says, in effect, that Dr. Brantly's blood (and, shortly after this was published, Nancy Writebol's too) is considered an investigational new drug. :horns:

http://www.rxlist.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=184811

Or that computer executive (what's his name?) who came out. That's not even news any more.

If you Google Dr. Brantly, one of the pictures that pops up is from when he was in med school, although IDK what year it was taken. He's clean-shaven and looks like he's about 17 years old. There are also some others floating around, usually with his wife and kids, that were taken while he was in Liberia (he moved there in October 2013). Maybe the post-Ebola pictures are deliberately posed and lit to accentuate this, but he looks like he's aged at least a decade in that time.

My teenage niece has wanted to be a doctor since she was about 8 years old. As of right now, she wants to do international relief work; she's not a religious person that I know of. I DO NOT want to see her carried off a plane in a Hazmat suit! :eek:

Dr. Sacra went back to Africa, as he promised he would do, and the reporter did too. So did William Pooley, the British nurse who got the last of the ZMapp. ETA: Dr. Sacra has a blog that's linked to CNN.com, so it's not like I'm violating any kind of confidential information. Pooley has done interviews, and Mukpo has an open Twitter feed.

Those guys must have cojones the size of watermelons; they're probably the kind of people I would want WITH me in a dark alley.

There's already a book about the outbreak in Monrovia, called "In Harm's Way". I'll see if the library has it.

Last edited:
Must not have been able to find a plasma donor. :help:

At the height of the fear-mongering, "South Park" had an episode called "Gluten Free Ebola". It was not one of their better episodes.

Artificial panic. Right now no one is watchin ebola news and no one showing them. Where did ebola went? =)

Ebola here in the US was a hoax. Check out some of the Youtube videos. They are hilarious. I just think they are trying to hook us on another vaccine.

Ebola here in the US was a hoax. Check out some of the Youtube videos. They are hilarious. I just think they are trying to hook us on another vaccine.
yes, because a vaccine, even if it was only 50% effective, would have only saved a minimum of 5,000 lives with the latest epidemic.

My local library didn't order "In Harm's Way", so I got it from Amazon and found out why: it's self-published. As self-published books go, however, it's not bad and I'm actually surprised a publisher hasn't picked it up.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s&field-keywords=in+harm's+way+nancy+sheppard

The Brantlys have a book coming out later this month. Here's the first chapter.

http://waterbrookmultnomah.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Called-for-Life.pdf

For those of you who are put off by a lot of religious talk, it wasn't as thick as I had expected.

On a sadder note, weeks after being declared Ebola-free, Liberia has had two confirmed cases, one of them fatal. :( I never believed myself that it was totally gone.

There's been a third confirmed case in Liberia. (Gross out warning) There were some reports that at least one of those victims was thought to have contracted it from eating dog meat, even though there's no evidence it's transmitted this way, and at least one story said HE HAD DUG THE DOG UP before cooking and eating it. :wideyed: I just can't imagine being that hungry.

As for the Brantlys' book, wouldn't it be bizarre if yet another entry on the bucket list they didn't know they had will be knocking Harper Lee off the #1 spot on Amazon? :wtf:

Dr. Brantly wrote an essay that appeared in the Washington Post last weekend; TL : dr - the Ebola epidemic isn't over even though it isn't getting much press here in the States, and the disruption of the social order - if you want to call it a social order - caused by this disease will take many years to resolve.

Here's a story that appeared in his local newspaper today.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/nation-world/ebola/article27949627.html