EC clarification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saa09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. On the EC section, we only put down stuff from college right? Nothing from high school that we didn't continue in college?

2. Would I put down that I got a scholarship from the company my father works for (I had to apply for it, and not everyone gets it)

3. Should I put down tennis lessons that I took once a week in college for 3 quarters? I didn't do this during my last year either

4. I worked at the same place for 3 summers in a row, how should i enter the dates? My counselor suggested that I say that it lasted 3 years, but specify in the description that it was only summers

Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

1. On the EC section, we only put down stuff from college right? Nothing from high school that we didn't continue in college?

2. Would I put down that I got a scholarship from the company my father works for (I had to apply for it, and not everyone gets it)

3. Should I put down tennis lessons that I took once a week in college for 3 quarters? I didn't do this during my last year either

4. I worked at the same place for 3 summers in a row, how should i enter the dates? My counselor suggested that I say that it lasted 3 years, but specify in the description that it was only summers

Thanks a lot

1. Correct. Just college unless you continued it from high school.

2. Sure if you think it's prestigous and unique enough. How will they know it's your Dad's company? If they would for some reason, I'd be less eager to use it unless I was desperate.

3. You could put it down if your lacking in hobbies or general interests or something. I'd make sure you feel comfortable discussing it if they bring it up. You might want to get "re-interested" before interviews. :rolleyes:

4. That's what I was told to do as well for an EC that I took a two year break from. I know it's scary...

Good luck!

3. You could put it down if your lacking in hobbies or general interests or something. I'd make sure you feel comfortable discussing it if they bring it up. You might want to get "re-interested" before interviews. :rolleyes:

Do you think it will be petty if I put it down? The other ECs that I'm putting down aren't hobbies

Also, I have some numbers in my EC descriptions, is it ok if I leave them in # form, or do I have to spell them out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think it will be petty if I put it down? The other ECs that I'm putting down aren't hobbies

Also, I have some numbers in my EC descriptions, is it ok if I leave them in # form, or do I have to spell them out?

Tennis lessons are fine. They want well-rounded people and if that's going to be the only "hobby", then yes, put it.

Also, on the high school thing. Everybody thinks that's a no-no. I was told by a former adcom member that if it's significant enough (especially if related to medicine or your decision to become a doctor), then it's OK. I wouldn't put more than one though.

Not sure what you mean by the numbers thing. Generally 10 and below, you write it out (ten, one, five), but 11 and above, you can just put the number (11, 20, 500)

So I did hospital volunteer in high school (started 2004) and stopped volunteering my first year in college, but started to volunteer again at the end of my first year through different program at different hospital. Can I list them in AMCAS from 2004-present? or should I just include the volunteering that I did in college, which is 2006-present?