EC for freshman? Overall concerns?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flipflops0619

Reaction score
Hello I’m a freshman, and so far classes are manageable. This year I have done nothing except for studying and getting one research position which is humanity related so I’m not entirely sure if that helps but I’m really interested in it. But, I’m getting little worried about my volunteering hours and other EC.

So as of right now I can’t work at the hospital because it is too far and I don’t own a car. Because of the said circumstance, I want to focus on non clinical volunteering but then again I can’t seem to find an on campus organization that I can commit to. Only things I can find is the small ones in school. I’m willing to do those but I was wondering how would hours from different volunteering activities look on the app? So for example one day school has 4 hours of X volunteering to do and another day Y volunteering for 3 hours. So would I add these hours up as a whole “non clinical hours” when I actually apply or would I have to put individually because that would definitely take more than a couple slots???

And when I get car, probably next year, I want to start on clinical experience but out of the two hospitals, only one accepts volunteer and that is the place I wanted to work as a scribe. Does this mean that I have to choose between volunteering and paid experience? I definitely don’t have time for both. I think paid would better suit me because I have stuff to pay and volunteering would take as much time but I at the same time I’m worried that it’s going to put me at disadvantage.

I’m sorry if I come out to be annoying and crazy but I don’t have anywhere to ask this and am really anxious that I’m doing this all wrong. Thank you for reading this.

Members don't see this ad.

Three hours per week of volunteering is enough if you are consistent for the 2.5-3.5 years you have before you apply. Finding a place.organization and sticking with it gives you the opportunity to build relationships with other volunteers and with the clients and can be more fulfilling than jumping into 30 one-off activities that are each 3 hours/year.

There is no oblligation or expectation that you will be a clinical volunteer. You can choose to do one or the other as long as you have some volunteering (it can be non-clinical) and some shadowing, as well as the clinical experience.