EC Opportunity but not sure if Helpful

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coramDeo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

First time poster here, I posted a similar question to premeddit, but didn't really get helpful feed back so I figured I'd give it a chance here.

I've recently been accepted a year-long program which I find is a tremendous opportunity, but not really sure if it'll be helpful for my path to medicine.

6 months of the program is based in Korea, the next 6 is in DC. While in Korea, I will be studying Eastern and Western history/politics/philosophy/literature. After that, I'll be in DC as an intern. The organizations that I'll have a chance to apply to are well-known organizations that are mostly NGO/NPO/Thinktanks that are concerned with human rights/international politics/etc. I've been told (depending on my performance) that I'll be able to participate in their research and/or have a chance to submit my own pieces to various journals.

All costs for the year are covered by the institute(so kind of like a scholarship?), and the institute is founded and run by Hyundai (top 4 company in Korea). I feel like this is a tremendous opportunity as a Canadian-Korean to experience, but at the same time I'm not sure if losing a year is worth it, if it will not help towards med school.

Please any advice would be great! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do it.
My biggest regret from college is that I spent too much time doing things that I thought med schools would like, and too little time doing things that I liked.
This sounds like an amazing opportunity, regardless of whether or not it helps your chances at med school (which, by the way, it probably will).

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all,

First time poster here, I posted a similar question to premeddit, but didn't really get helpful feed back so I figured I'd give it a chance here.

I've recently been accepted a year-long program which I find is a tremendous opportunity, but not really sure if it'll be helpful for my path to medicine.

6 months of the program is based in Korea, the next 6 is in DC. While in Korea, I will be studying Eastern and Western history/politics/philosophy/literature. After that, I'll be in DC as an intern. The organizations that I'll have a chance to apply to are well-known organizations that are mostly NGO/NPO/Thinktanks that are concerned with human rights/international politics/etc. I've been told (depending on my performance) that I'll be able to participate in their research and/or have a chance to submit my own pieces to various journals.

All costs for the year are covered by the institute(so kind of like a scholarship?), and the institute is founded and run by Hyundai (top 4 company in Korea). I feel like this is a tremendous opportunity as a Canadian-Korean to experience, but at the same time I'm not sure if losing a year is worth it, if it will not help towards med school.

Do it. I agree 100% with Lannister, I spent so much time doing medical related stuff, I wish I did more of what I wanted.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Same as above. Do it because it sounds awesome and you'll love it, not because it will make you more attractive to med schools.

No one said you needed to apply for med school at a specific cycle. Rest assured, an experience like this, if you think you would enjoy it, could only enrich your education. ;)

Thank you guys for your input!
I definitely think this program will make me a better person overall, but since I'm investing a whole year into this, I felt that if I weren't able to improve my profile during my gap year, it would be a detriment. (If you're not getting better you're getting worse? idk).

I'm on the older side of the applicant average age and I guess I feel a bit rushed one way or the other to get to med school :/

Hello all,

Affiliating with an organization that works for human rights won't reflect negatively on a med school candidate.

Reactions: 1 user
Affiliating with an organization that works for human rights won't reflect negatively on a med school candidate.

I guess I'm more concerned about how positively could this help me? It will not hurt, but at the same time I'm under the impression that if you're not improving you're not staying still, rather worsening..

I guess I'm more concerned about how positively could this help me? It will not hurt, but at the same time I'm under the impression that if you're not improving you're not staying still, rather worsening..
I'd look at the half year of coursework at application-neutral. Research and publishing have the potential to be positives. Unfortunately, you have no idea which organization to which you'll apply will take you, and Think Tanks come in many colors and flavors, so it's impossible to predict how those you might choose from would be viewed. Sadly, you are faced with a great unknown.

Hello all,

It doesn't sound as if you're "losing a year" if you're engaged in something that is truly meaningful and fulfilling to you. Instead, it sounds as if you will learn about new ideas, cultures and ways of thinking by participating in this year-long program. It may also provide an interesting discussion in your personal statement or in a future interview. [Besides, you still have to complete your pre-medical courses and medical school won't be disappearing anytime soon.] Best of success to you!

It doesn't sound as if you're "losing a year" if you're engaged in something that is truly meaningful and fulfilling to you.

I guess now that I'm pretty much graduated, (just need to apply for graduation) I feel like if I'm investing a year in something/anything, I really want it to help towards my application :/

That sounds like an incredible life experience. I would do it if I could!