EC question..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gutierrez001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI
I am new to this the pharmD forum,lately I have been looking into Pharm school(I am currently pre-med) and i still dont know if i want to go to med or pharm school. My question is about volunteering , i have been volunteering at a clinic as an ER-tech and i wondering if i were to apply to pharm school would this count as EC on my application to pharm school.THANKS

:) Aslo what is the AVG. GPA for applying to Pharm school? Also does the PCAT work?THANKS

Members don't see this ad.

Gutierrez001 said:
HI
I am new to this the pharmD forum,lately I have been looking into Pharm school(I am currently pre-med) and i still dont know if i want to go to med or pharm school. My question is about volunteering , i have been volunteering at a clinic as an ER-tech and i wondering if i were to apply to pharm school would this count as EC on my application to pharm school.THANKS

:) Aslo what is the AVG. GPA for applying to Pharm school? Also does the PCAT work?THANKS

Yes, that would count as an extracurricular, either that, or if you are getting paid I guess that would be under work experience. EC's to me are things such as organizations, or sports you're involved in.
Each school has their own average gpa, but I would say as a whole it's probably sitting around a 3.4-3.5 at this time and it keeps going up each year. Remember these are just averages so that means you have people at the very high end, 4.0, and at the lower end, 3.0. One school I applied to had an average of 3.7 for last year, but they have a forgiveness rule.
I'm not sure what you mean by "does the PCAT work"??
Hope this helps.

thanks , I meant how does the PCAT work?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok.... I didn't have to take it when i applied for school so i may not be the best person to answer this but........
To the best of my understanding, your scores are based on how you did in relation to how everyone else did that day.
i.e. you can be wonderfully brilliant but if einstein and his croonies take it that day you could make a 20% where as on another day you could be in the 99% with the same answers.

In my opinion that is a flawed system and needs to be changed (and it may have by now but it was only a couple of years ago i was looking into it).

P.S. I really hate that i can't spell.....

Isn't the PCAT is offered only 3-4 times a year? So, if people divide themselves up randomly amongst the dates, the chance of you being smarter than 99% of one group but dumber than 79% of another group is pretty off the wall. There wouldn't be a reason that people would be smarter or better prepared on a particular date.

The scores are going to vary a little. But, don't the schools get info on variability between the different PCAT sessions, so they could correct for the variability if they wanted to? I know that come colleges do corrections like this for the SAT and ACT.

BTW when you said EC I was thinking emergency contraception. :laugh:

Like Anna said, I really think it's highly unlikely for a "wonderfully brilliant" person to do poorly on the PCAT. The test is super easy and if you can prepare for it at least a month ahead, you should have NO problem scoring in the 80s-90s.

However, what I think is "unfair" is the people who retake the PCAT and their scores are compared to first time test taker scores. It's obvious that someone will do much better their second time around, so I think it's those people that are throwing off the percentages.