EC question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rmsgolfer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone, im just wondering how impressive being on a varsity sport is for admission committees. I play golf and was an all american my freshman year. I am a junior and will be applying this coming summer. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Im new to this site. I was told about it by a physician I shadowed and it has been a great help. Thanks.:)

Members don't see this ad.

hey everyone, im just wondering how impressive being on a varsity sport is for admission committees. I play golf and was an all american my freshman year. I am a junior and will be applying this coming summer. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Im new to this site. I was told about it by a physician I shadowed and it has been a great help. Thanks.:)

i have heard it helps to explain a less than stellar academic record.

my academics are decent, nothing fantastic. 3.2 right now. Have not had a C in any class. B's is bio 1, gen chem and orgo 1, A- in orgo 2. I will be taking the rest of the pre-reqs in the coming semesters and am hoping they go smoothly as well as the MCAT:scared: .

Members don't see this ad :)

It shows leadership and an ability to multi-task. Being a student athlete is always looked highly upon. just, dont fail classes and use it as a reason for your failures ...

my academics are decent, nothing fantastic. 3.2 right now. Have not had a C in any class. B's is bio 1, gen chem and orgo 1, A- in orgo 2. I will be taking the rest of the pre-reqs in the coming semesters and am hoping they go smoothly as well as the MCAT:scared: .

the A- in orgo II should help. Making As and Bs is better than Cs obviously. if you do well on the mcat, you'll be fine. make sure you get medical-related ECs.

Here's my view on varsity athletics...They might help you have something to talk about in an interview, but golf is going to be fairly unlikey to be something that people consider amazing. The sports that I see (and from my conversations w/ other interviewers) to be likely to have a big influence while maintaining high academic achievement are: Football, Wrestling, Basketball & Soccer to some extent.

All the sports I listed have fairly long seasons & require a great amount (especially football & wrestling) of outside of practice time. Don't get me wrong, I love golf. However, when I wrestled collegiately, not only did we have 3+ hour practices, but we had morning & evening runs/weight lifting too. Atheletics are a great conversation piece, but they may or may not have any influence on your final decision.

golf has one of the longest sports seasons. We start in august and go through october. Start again in february and go through may. practices can last anywhere from 2-5 hours, depending if you play 18 holes or not. Time constraints are not fun, but at least its on a golf course:D .