EC Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSUSpartan642

GO GREEN!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question about EC's? Does tutoring count for Leadership experience? I wasn't sure if it would or not. I have tutored in academics (anatomy) and have been doing literacy tutoring for some time now. Thanks a bunch.

Members don't see this ad.

Just a quick question about EC's? Does tutoring count for Leadership experience? I wasn't sure if it would or not. I have tutored in academics (anatomy) and have been doing literacy tutoring for some time now. Thanks a bunch.

I don't think it's a HUGE stretch to call it leadership, if you don't have anything else that falls into that category. Generally, it's considered TEACHING experience, though.

However, may I ask why it matters what classification it falls under? AACOMAS doesn't make you classify things like that.

Truth be told I dont really care either. But everyone always says that you need to have X,Y, and Z to get into medical school. I have a pretty good GPA (3.87) and have scored fairly well on practice my practice MCAT tests but I'm just worried about all my E.C.'s and making sure I have things that will make me a well rounded applicant. I dont have any research but on the other hand I have never liked it. I dont plan on applying to those schools either that will require research exp.

Members don't see this ad :)
I put being a TA under volunteer experience on AACOMAS, and I actually brought it up when asked about leadership experience on my LECOM-erie interview. Got accepted there so they must not have thought I was completely full of ****. Just talk about how it invoked a newfound desire to teach or something (academic medicine).