lxx

2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2016
Status
Dental Student
Hey guys,

I will be entering the fourth year of my biochemistry degree and, somehow, was able to work myself up to a 4.0. I want to apply to dental school sometime in august, however my ECs are not very strong, as I only have 33 hours of shadowing dentists and 24 hours volunteering at a hospital. Assuming I get around 20s on my DAT sections, would my grades be able to compensate for my low ECs? Given my ECs, are there any schools I should absolutely rule out? Also, from reading some posts on this website, it looks like dental schools don't really care about the DAT math score. Does this mean they wouldn't really care for a high math score? Math is probably my strongest section. I was also a teaching assistant a few years ago for a kids math class, but I forget how many hours I did it for .

Since I'm a biochem major, I've taken biochem I and II, biochem lab, cell bio, and a&p I thus far. How much do dental schools really care about one's science electives?

Thanks! :)

Manic324

2+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2016
Status
Dental Student
Hey guys,

I will be entering the fourth year of my biochemistry degree and, somehow, was able to work myself up to a 4.0. I want to apply to dental school sometime in august, however my ECs are not very strong, as I only have 33 hours of shadowing dentists and 24 hours volunteering at a hospital. Assuming I get around 20s on my DAT sections, would my grades be able to compensate for my low ECs? Given my ECs, are there any schools I should absolutely rule out? Also, from reading some posts on this website, it looks like dental schools don't really care about the DAT math score. Does this mean they wouldn't really care for a high math score? Math is probably my strongest section. I was also a teaching assistant a few years ago for a kids math class, but I forget how many hours I did it for .

Since I'm a biochem major, I've taken biochem I and II, biochem lab, cell bio, and a&p I thus far. How much do dental schools really care about one's science electives?

Thanks! :)
Grades and DAT >>>>> ECs for most schools as long as you have their required # of shadowing hours.

It doesn't sound like you've taken too many science classes yet though I'd add some if possible

shaidester

5+ Year Member
May 26, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Make sure you have the minimum shadowing hours for a school. I didn't have too many volunteering hours but I had stellar gpa and dat scores to compensate.

JLT223

Dental Student
2+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2015
Status
Dental Student
You have no ECs aside from 24 volunteer hours at a hospital?

OP
L

lxx

2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2016
Status
Dental Student
Grades and DAT >>>>> ECs for most schools as long as you have their required # of shadowing hours.

It doesn't sound like you've taken too many science classes yet though I'd add some if possible
Hmmm, I really thought I had quite a few science classes under my belt since it looks like dental schools mainly require gen chem, gen bio, ochem, and gen physics. I do have some more science classes planned out for the next two semesters so I hope they will be sufficient.

OP
L

lxx

2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2016
Status
Dental Student
You have no ECs aside from 24 volunteer hours at a hospital?
Yeah, pretty much. I was also a grading assistant for a sociology class, but I'm not sure where to put that since I did it for credit.

JLT223

Dental Student
2+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2015
Status
Dental Student
Yeah, pretty much. I was also a grading assistant for a sociology class, but I'm not sure where to put that since I did it for credit.
Just wondering, any specific reason why? Some schools that are more service based won't look upon it favorably.

OP
L

lxx

2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2016
Status
Dental Student
Just wondering, any specific reason why? Some schools that are more service based won't look upon it favorably.
To be completely honest, it's mainly because I just didn't plan well for it early on.

JLT223

Dental Student
2+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2015
Status
Dental Student
To be completely honest, it's mainly because I just didn't plan well for it early on.
Fair enough. Honesty is the best policy when it comes to these applications!

LuckBloodandSweat

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2015
Status
Dental Student
I think GPA and DAT are probably the most important but try to shadow about 30 more hours or so!! Math is my favorite subject too lol and somehow it wasn't even my best on my DAT lol. I'm sure you can get into some schools with that 4.0 :)

kdforthree

2+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Regarding how much dental schools value QR: in my opinion, the section will most likely be the least valued compared to the other sections of the DAT. However, it will still contribute to your AA which is obviously critical. Just make sure you don't bank on a high QR score to cover up the other sections you may struggle with and work on those weaknesses specifically when studying, since the other sections will be of more importance.