Ecg Basics Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lookleft

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm trying to learn the basics in reading ecg's. My biggest problem is that I don't know what is normal in each lead. For example should xwave be upright or down in xlead, etc.

I've searched a number of texts and maybe I'm missing something but I can't find these answers.

Can someone please help, and tell me what normal morphology is for the pwave, qrs complex, t wave, etc for each lead.

Thank You very much

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend getting Dubin's "Rapid Interpretation of EKG's". Very good and simple book - written in a "see dick run" style. It does a wonderful job of explaining how the various leads correlate to the normal tracings found there. Might look like a lot to read for just EKG's when you see it on the shelf, but it really is a pretty quick read... you can easily go through 100 pages an hour.

I've found that questions with specific lead types can be answered based on other information given. For instance, there was a UW question that dealt with some different leads like II, B, vWF, X (or something like that :rolleyes:) but at the same time the patient presented with a symptom not classically associated with an infarct of LAD involvement. This is a purely clinical skill that I doubt is worth our time right now.

I've found that questions with specific lead types can be answered based on other information given. For instance, there was a UW question that dealt with some different leads like II, B, vWF, X (or something like that :rolleyes:) but at the same time the patient presented with a symptom not classically associated with an infarct of LAD involvement. This is a purely clinical skill that I doubt is worth our time right now.

I agree with you that 12-lead ignorance will not cause you to miss any q's. But I think the OP might mean a standard 3 lead tracing. Which, although I haven't taken it yet, the ignorance of might cost you a chunk of points.

But yeah, when UW tells me a certain pathology is associated with V3-V6 t-wave inversion, but new onset of q's in reciprocal leads that wasn't initially present, etc etc, I usually knew (or didn't know) the etiology without that info.

ETA: I guess they did mean in each lead. Yeah, you won't need that. Take a cardiology elective you overachiever. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I'm in my clinical years and analyse ecgs all the time.

The way I analyse is rate, rhythm and axis. Then is there a P followed by Q R S and T. After that looking at the clusters that give you a positional picture - for example II III AVF is inferior etc etc.

My point is - when you say X, B and vWF - what leads are these. Either we are missing something in England or you guys' nomenclature is different.