SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Ecg Basics Help

Discussion in 'Step I' started by lookleft, Jun 13, 2008.

1. lookleft

lookleft Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 15, 2003
    So I'm trying to learn the basics in reading ecg's. My biggest problem is that I don't know what is normal in each lead. For example should xwave be upright or down in xlead, etc.

I've searched a number of texts and maybe I'm missing something but I can't find these answers.

Can someone please help, and tell me what normal morphology is for the pwave, qrs complex, t wave, etc for each lead.

Thank You very much
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. osli

osli Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Oct 13, 2005
    I recommend getting Dubin's "Rapid Interpretation of EKG's". Very good and simple book - written in a "see dick run" style. It does a wonderful job of explaining how the various leads correlate to the normal tracings found there. Might look like a lot to read for just EKG's when you see it on the shelf, but it really is a pretty quick read... you can easily go through 100 pages an hour.
  4. agranulocytosis

agranulocytosis 10+ Year Member

Sep 22, 2007
    I've found that questions with specific lead types can be answered based on other information given. For instance, there was a UW question that dealt with some different leads like II, B, vWF, X (or something like that :rolleyes:) but at the same time the patient presented with a symptom not classically associated with an infarct of LAD involvement. This is a purely clinical skill that I doubt is worth our time right now.
  5. Mr. Freeze

Mr. Freeze Not right. (in the head) 10+ Year Member

I agree with you that 12-lead ignorance will not cause you to miss any q's. But I think the OP might mean a standard 3 lead tracing. Which, although I haven't taken it yet, the ignorance of might cost you a chunk of points.

But yeah, when UW tells me a certain pathology is associated with V3-V6 t-wave inversion, but new onset of q's in reciprocal leads that wasn't initially present, etc etc, I usually knew (or didn't know) the etiology without that info.

ETA: I guess they did mean in each lead. Yeah, you won't need that. Take a cardiology elective you overachiever. :)
  6. hj0517

hj0517 2+ Year Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Hey guys I'm in my clinical years and analyse ecgs all the time.

The way I analyse is rate, rhythm and axis. Then is there a P followed by Q R S and T. After that looking at the clusters that give you a positional picture - for example II III AVF is inferior etc etc.

My point is - when you say X, B and vWF - what leads are these. Either we are missing something in England or you guys' nomenclature is different.
  7. osli

osli Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Oct 13, 2005
    I think he was being facetious.