Echo (TTE) certification for non-cardiac fellowship trained physicians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whiteorgo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody know what the exact requirements are to be board-certified in transTHORACIC echo (not TEE) if you don't do 1 yr of cardiothoracic anesthesia fellowship? And how feasible this would be?

I tried researching but found multiple sources that were confusing. I heard there are "cases" you can purchase online to reach certain case numbers? Just wanted to see what ppl's experiences were. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody know what the exact requirements are to be board-certified in transTHORACIC echo (not TEE) if you don't do 1 yr of cardiothoracic anesthesia fellowship? And how feasible this would be?

I tried researching but found multiple sources that were confusing. I heard there are "cases" you can purchase online to reach certain case numbers? Just wanted to see what ppl's experiences were. Thanks!
So, NBE is the organization that oversees the various forms of echo certification. The Advanced Periop TEE cert is what cardiac anesthesia fellows take, and is pretty much TEE only (a little epiaortic or epicardial echo). The ASCE is for cardiologists, and encompasses TEE, TTE, and stress echo. I do know a handful of anesthesiologist that completed cardiac and/or echo fellowships that obtained ASCE certification, but it sounded like a painful process, and a lot of the exam included Cardiology medical treatment guidelines. NBE is also rolling out a new certification for critical care echo, which will be almost entirely TTE, with some TEE and eFAST. So, if you want to obtain some form of TTE cert, you can try to embark upon the ASCE path, or take the CC echo exam this January, and stand by for what their additional requirements for certification will be.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
The few people I know "certified: in TTE are purely testamurs. Basically you can sign up for the test, study for it, and pass it. That is basically it. The cases required to be fully TTE certified (beyond testamur) is difficult due to a number of reasons, the stress echo component being one. If you have a very good relationship with the Cardiology department you may be able to pull it off.

Members don't see this ad :)
The few people I know "certified: in TTE are purely testamurs. Basically you can sign up for the test, study for it, and pass it. That is basically it. The cases required to be fully TTE certified (beyond testamur) is difficult due to a number of reasons, the stress echo component being one. If you have a very good relationship with the Cardiology department you may be able to pull it off.
So what can you put on the CV if you're only a testamur? I guess not "echo certified" but it at least it shows you're competent and can do basic bedside echo? is that worth it in anybody's opinion in terms of marketability and such?

The Utah echo fellowship is decent for somebody who has an idea of what they wanted to do from an academic career and TEE/TTE standpoint. Junior faculty pay and probably amazing echo training.

Perioperative Echocardiography Fellowship - | University of Utah

I'd even guess it's more valuable than many regional/OB/neuro fellowships for the right person.

Very, very unique setup Utah has.

Unfortunately it also lacks ACGME accreditation - which might not make one eligible for NBE Advanced exam and other associated issues (my shop requires ACGME cardiac fellowship for new grads on the heart team). I wonder why they don’t go for formal certification? Wouldn’t matter much for others, though,

There is also the Basic TEE exam administered by NBE, only every other year though. It is within 2 weeks of the Advanced ABA written exam, so there are very few new grads who actually take the exam.

No it is not marketable. You will not get privileges at a hospital to bill for periop TTE interpretation in the same way CV dudes/dudettes do for TEE, and youre not doing stress echos. Clinically useful, yes invaluable, I remember an outpatient case where a murmur was heard, attending stuck the probe on and had a great view of AS. You will be able to communicate to cards/CV surg in a language they understand. The critical care certification will be marketable if you can read and interpret echos in the critically ill. I heard the certification for it is going to require cases reviewed by either a cardiologist or tEE certified anesthesiologist (why theyre reviewing non periop TTE)...which means its set up for academics to put a few letters. In my opinion: learn echo for clinical mastery, paying hundreds of dollars to ‘get certified’ in it is a waste of money with no compensation

Also, echo technicians who aren’t physicians can do full, complex TTE exams and then upload the images for cardiology review. These people are exponentially cheaper to employ than a physician... It’s just not really a skill I see being applicable on a regular basis, although I do think we should be able to slap a probe in a sick patient to get an idea of what is going on during bad times.

If you are interested in TTE for purely clinical/research (i.e. non-billing) I suggest you attend one of the many FATE courses offered around the country. The main challenge in TTE is just being able to reliably obtain the views and these courses will give you the basic views you would need to evaluate general myocardial and valvular function.

TTE although often inferior to TEE is a fantastic point of care tool. Same can be said for a FAST exam. There is no reason anesthesiologists can’t acquire these skills and use them in practice. They cut through the cheese and yield significant positive or negative findings that direct care. It’s a great space for anesthesiologists to be in.

The Utah echo fellowship is fantastic. We have one of their rokkstars and he def. brings up my game in both TTE and TEE.