Ecology & Evolution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andythegolfman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering taking an upper level bio the second half of this summer called Ecology & Evolution. I was wondering if anyone here has taken a similar course and whether you would recommend it.

Members don't see this ad.

Take it if you're interested in it -- which is basically the rule for any class in college. Med schools really don't care what you take as long as you take the requirements, you do well, and you're not obviously slacking off. I actually majored in ecology and evolutionary biology, and it worked out wonderfully.

Though I don't know if I personally recommend summer classes. Blech!

I've taken ecology and evolution separately, dunno if it helps.

ecology was ok.

I absolutely hated evolution. Kind of like studying ab the different arguments/views toward evolution with no real correct answer. Studying things that could all be wrong 10 years from now.

your course might focus on something different though and you might enjoy it but i just hated mine.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have a Ecology and Evolution course at my school. It's actually required for the "Pre-Med" or Health Science major. Its a 100 level class that bio majors take as a freshmen and I hear that its pretty easy but boring. But yours could be totally different being that it is an upperlevel course.

I've taken ecology and evolution separately, dunno if it helps.

ecology was ok.

I absolutely hated evolution. Kind of like studying ab the different arguments/views toward evolution with no real correct answer. Studying things that could all be wrong 10 years from now.

your course might focus on something different though and you might enjoy it but i just hated mine.

I second this. I have also taken both separately and Ecology was a lot more interesting. Also our evo tests were 30 essay q's to be finished in 50 min:eek:. Take it if it interests you.

I had to take general ecology for my biochem major, which was a major waste of time. I did however take an Evolution and Society class which was fascinating and I would highly recommend. Mixing ecology and evolution sounds like a biology class; put in some sociology and its interesting.

Take it if the topic sounds interesting to you. If not, you'll be miserable and getting a good grade will be that much harder. I, personally, love evolution and ecology - taken separately or together. However, I spent time as a wildlife biologist and then a biology instructor...so I'm biased.

I took Ecology & Evolution, and liked it. There are three 300- level classes in the BIOL department that you must take two of before you're able to take higher level courses, so I took that and Cell & Molecular Biology. The general concepts are things you've learned every year in Biology since 7th grade, just more in-depth. I really like reading about evolutionary theory, so that helped.