Economic crisis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quest_life

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
During current situation of economic crisis, is it still worthwhile to spend high tuition fees towards dental education? Times when jobs are becoming dearer and interest rates on student loans are so high, is it all worth it? Its so unsettling, what's you opinion on this ?

Members don't see this ad.

During current situation of economic crisis, is it still worthwhile to spend high tuition fees towards dental education? Times when jobs are becoming dearer and interest rates on student loans are so high, is it all worth it? Its so unsettling, what's you opinion on this ?

exactly the same feeling. Hope someone who have deep understanding to clarify it.

People gonna get sick and they gonna seek dental professional.

You do not need to worry about it.

exactly the same feeling. Hope someone who have deep understanding to clarify it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't dismiss this just like this. I am an FTD, so mostly likely spend 150-250k towards school and other expenses. Now the interest rates on these are as high as 12.5, so this is a huge burden at the end of the day. Lets look at the basics, most dental treatments are not covered by insurances so people have to pay from their pocket for this. So this means if the common man has no money coz of the ongoing economic issues, will he be able to come to your clinic for crown and bridge work? He will seek some pain relief and put away the treatment as long as he can. Isnt this ground reality? Are we getting into a mess with this loan burden?

People gonna get sick and they gonna seek dental professional.

You do not need to worry about it.

I wouldn't dismiss this just like this. I am an FTD, so mostly likely spend 150-250k towards school and other expenses. Now the interest rates on these are as high as 12.5, so this is a huge burden at the end of the day. Lets look at the basics, most dental treatments are not covered by insurances so people have to pay from their pocket for this. So this means if the common man has no money coz of the ongoing economic issues, will he be able to come to your clinic for crown and bridge work? He will seek some pain relief and put away the treatment as long as he can. Isnt this ground reality? Are we getting into a mess with this loan burden?

By the time you join and graduate from school, the economy will hopefully be back on track. This is a global economic crisis, anybody who tells you otherwise is lying. Also, let's assume that you don't invest in school.? What are your other options as an FTD.? Can you work in other fields.? Do you have the right education to work in a different field? You need to take a lot of things into consideration and analyze yourself.
This is the not the first time, the economy is in a depression. It has happened before and thats part of life. Work toward your goals and care less about the economy, atleast for now. Good luck.

Lets say if we have economic crisis going on, we might be laid off where we are working right now.

Dear friend, if we want to be settled down in the US and practice dentistry, we have to take this risk. This is life - what else can I say

By the time you join and graduate from school, the economy will hopefully be back on track. This is a global economic crisis, anybody who tells you otherwise is lying. Also, let's assume that you don't invest in school.? What are your other options as an FTD.? Can you work in other fields.? Do you have the right education to work in a different field? You need to take a lot of things into consideration and analyze yourself.
This is the not the first time, the economy is in a depression. It has happened before and thats part of life. Work toward your goals and care less about the economy, atleast for now. Good luck.

good point!
Even if you start school today, it will take you 2 years to graduate and the economy would have gotten back on track. Pundits predict 18 months for the turn around= 1.5 years.
Also Delta Dental, Blue Cross **big name dental insurance companies do pay for everyday dentistry- drill, fill, scale and pull. Maaybe Root canal and crown and bridge work.
Medicaid pays only for extractions.

My worry is actually obtaining the student loan. Apparently are banks are lending again both for students and home owners. So lets see.

i also agree with smile center. u can not step back after winning half the battle. be patient, things gonna be better soon.

dont loose the spirit with what we stepped first in USA. we r dentists and we will remain dentists. dont get afraid of this temporary crisis and take wrong decision of denying an admission.
either struggle for 10 years, or u will repent the whole life...

hi friends.....this a little unrelated to the economic crisis issue....but since everyone here is in the same boat i had a question i hope someone can answer........as per the rules of a student visa we are allowed to work a few hours per week on campus.....as a dental student does one get time to do some odd jobs?...coz that wud atleast help wit some of the living expenses..

Do not mislead yourself. In a school of dentistry, you do not have time to practice. UPENN has 6 days school

Lets say you strech yourself to make a couple of hours per week for a job, it may affect your GPA leading to less chances of getting job in the future.

My advice - be prepared financially for 2 years

hi friends.....this a little unrelated to the economic crisis issue....but since everyone here is in the same boat i had a question i hope someone can answer........as per the rules of a student visa we are allowed to work a few hours per week on campus.....as a dental student does one get time to do some odd jobs?...coz that wud atleast help wit some of the living expenses..

Hey

Well I think it is pretty much do-able! I personally know of some hotshots who did part-time jobs all through out 4 years of dental school training to make their ends meet.

If you are hard working and motivated, go for it...

As far as Student Visa guidelines goes, you are allowed to work 20 hours/week at the maximum (which is good-some time and, I think, it is pretty do-able!

M.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your input, appreciate that !