Economic Diversity in Medical Education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UTKRower

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found this study interesting and think the subject is worthy of discussing. We often talk of the importance of diversity in medical school, yet from my experience, the idea of "diversity" seems to pertain almost exclusively to skin color. It seems to me from my experience so far with applying to medical schools that "disadvantaged" background isn't really considered to any noticable extent. Of the 4 "disadvantaged" SDN'ers I know, 3 are reapplying this year even though their grades were not incredibly below the mean and their MCAT scores seem to be above the average for accepted medical students.

My question then is, "Should socioeconomic diversity be factor selected for by admissions committees?". Further, is socioeconomic diversity in the medical field something that benefits medicine and society?

Providing access to higher education across all income groups is a national priority. This analysis assessed the performance, career choice, and educational indebtedness of medical college students whose educational pursuits were assisted by the provision of financial support. The study looked at designated outcomes (academic performance, specialty choice, accumulated debt) in relation to the independent variable, family (parental) income, of 1,464 students who graduated from Jefferson Medical College between 1992 and 2002. Students were classified into groups of high, moderate, and low income based on their parental income. During the basic science years, the high-income group performed better; however, in the clinical years, performance measures were similar. Those in the high-income group tended to pursue surgery, while those in the low-income group preferred family medicine. The mean of accumulated educational debt was significantly higher for the low-income group. The study provides support for maintaining economic diversity in medical education.

Full Study

Members don't see this ad.