Economic Hardship Deferment and Moonlighting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDhasbeen

shrinkie dink
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hopefully others find useful info in my question too:

As a PGY2, I've been making an avg resident salary. With the amount of debt I have ($150K give or take a few thou.) I easily meet criteria under the 20-220 rule which seems will continue through 7/2009. I think I'll be able to squeeze my third and final year out of the Economic Hardship Deferment. My only question is whether or not moonlighting income (which would obviously go on my Jan 2009 for the 2008 year W-2) will effect my deferment eligibility for this year. (For clarification: I haven't done any moonlighting yet, ie none in 2007-2008 academic year.) My only concern is how things get kinda weird since our salaries are calculated in July yet obviously W-2's are the loan servicer's standard of income and economic need.

Members don't see this ad.

You can either use your W2 or your monthly paycheck. Technically your moonlighting income should be factored in (since it is income). However, if you get a separate check (or submit a check before you start making moonlighting money) there wouldn't be any way for the lender to know.

You can either use your W2 or your monthly paycheck. Technically your moonlighting income should be factored in (since it is income). However, if you get a separate check (or submit a check before you start making moonlighting money) there wouldn't be any way for the lender to know.
2nd this. Just be careful and don't use your tax returns.