PSLF and moonlighting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ilikebuttertoast1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, sorry to bring this up if it's been brought up before but we are running into this situation at my institution were we are trying to set up moonlighting opportunity for residents but don't know how to proceed with respect to compensation. We are technically paid by a non profit and the physician group that controls our residency is for profit. If residents receive extra pay checks from a for profit, will this negate any student loan payments made towards PSLF? It will be through a 1099.

Appreciate any recommendations to help residents make extra cash.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, sorry to bring this up if it's been brought up before but we are running into this situation at my institution were we are trying to set up moonlighting opportunity for residents but don't know how to proceed with respect to compensation. We are technically paid by a non profit and the physician group that controls our residency is for profit. If residents receive extra pay checks from a for profit, will this negate any student loan payments made towards PSLF? It will be through a 1099.

They need to work 30 hours or more per week at a nonprofit that can sign the form is my understanding. It doesn't matter if they work 100 extra hours as a stock broker as long as they have a nonprofit that can certify they were putting in 30 hours or more at a nonprofit at the time they were making payments.

That's fairly common. Residents eligible for PSLF but attendings at the same institution are not as they're run by a for-profit group.

The above answer is correct to the best of my knowledge. As long as you're working "full-time" for an eligible employer (non-profit, government/tribal agency, etc.) and making eligible payments, then it should count for PSLF.