ECs for Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Treaty of Dorsi

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am currently a first year at TUSPM and was wondering about the significance of ECs for residency and if they are significant, which ECs would be the best ones to have under your belt.

PS: I am doing just fine in school thus far. I also understand that clinical and personality play a huge role in residency placement, just curious about ECs in this case.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I am currently a first year at TUSPM and was wondering about the significance of ECs for residency and if they are significant, which ECs would be the best ones to have under your belt.

PS: I am doing just fine in school thus far and expect to get a 4.0 by the end of this semester. I also understand that clinical and personality play a huge role in residency placement, just curious about ECs in this case.

Agreed with Weirdy; research should be your #1 priority, either student-run or faculty.

Being part of the APMA/ACFAS can help knowing people from the other programs; may help you in the future, but it's okay if you can't get these positions because, as we have stated in other threads, you work during the 3rd/4th year determines if you'll match at a program or not.

Anything else is a waste of time.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nobody cares about your extra curricular activities. Just have a high GPA and be an awesome extern on your rotations

Reactions: 6 users
Find something to put in the box. It won't count for you, but it does look weird on your app when the box is empty. As much as the interviewer should say - who is this brilliant person who recognized the emptiness of clubs - this is a peevish profession full of weirdos and I've seen plenty of pettiness.

I have witnessed applicants files being tossed for all manner of innocuous things:
-talking about "do-goodery", volunteer work, and social justice ("we don't have time for that and also they wouldn't be happy here")
-liking museums ("we don't have any museums, they wouldn't be happy here")
-"she said she likes wound care"

Reactions: 1 users
Find something to put in the box. It won't count for you, but it does look weird on your app when the box is empty. As much as the interviewer should say - who is this brilliant person who recognized the emptiness of clubs - this is a peevish profession full of weirdos and I've seen plenty of pettiness.

I have witnessed applicants files being tossed for all manner of innocuous things:
-talking about "do-goodery", volunteer work, and social justice ("we don't have time for that and also they wouldn't be happy here")
-liking museums ("we don't have any museums, they wouldn't be happy here")
-"she said she likes wound care"

true, there are so many applicants for programs that attendings will look for small stuff to filter out applicants. Do things because you like it, not just for buffing up the application, don’t be afraid to be yourself, itll help you stand out

Best part of this is thinking that where you go to residency will really determine your job afterward.

If you do a residency at Kaiser for example, wouldn't you have a better shot at getting a job there since they tend to hire from within? At least that has been the case with some of my family members. So that would mean where you go for residency could play a role in where you end up afterwards.

If you do a residency at Kaiser for example, wouldn't you have a better shot at getting a job there since they tend to hire from within? At least that has been the case with some of my family members. So that would mean where you go for residency could play a role in where you end up afterwards.

I've heard that about Kaiser as well. They tend to hire their own residents. There are a few exceptions from what I've understood, i have a friend who did a residency at a non Kaiser program and has a job with them. Maybe my friend is an exception to the rule. anyways I think to echo everything on here GPA is most important, research is great, and unless the club you are doing has networking opportunities like ACFAS or APMA I wouldn't necessarily be motivated to do that club, no one is going to care that you were president of the yearbook club.

Reactions: 2 users

Yes Kaiser is the only exception. If you want to live and work in California and work for Kaiser it is strongly in your best interest to try and match at Kaiser program. Or you would need to obtain a fellowship at one of the Kaiser programs.

Nobody cares about your extra curricular activities. Just have a high GPA and be an awesome extern on your rotations
I would tend to agree. ^^

Do what you like and keep up your fitness, but having a ton of clubs sure doesn't make up for nearly failing pod school or failing boards, low gpa, missing pimp Qs, etc. You are there to learn first and foremost.

Fyi, I'm not against ECs... I was prez of some clubs and active in a ton of others... also worked a full time job through 2nd and 3rd year pod school. That was all personal choice, though. It probably resulted in my gpa a bit lower but interpersonal skill a bit better... who knows lol. Matched my top choice residency, so there are many roads to the same desired path.

Last edited: