EC's & Other Good Stuff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wes1015

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Its my freshman year and I wanted to know on top of keeping my grades up and preparing for the pcat what else should i be in as far as EC's and outside of school actions should i take, meaning what EC's pharm schools look for and things you think I can do to make my application the best and boldest

Members don't see this ad.

Use the search function, there is a lot of info on these forums.

Be involved in leadership type roles, a variety of different organizations (not just pharmacy/health clubs) and have some sort of pharmacy experience.

I think they are more interested in academic organizations. The person I was interviewing with at Jefferson wasn't too interested in a comeback win that I led my paintball team to. (They asked me to give them an example of me showing leadership skills.)

We were down to 14 men from 40, and the other team had gone into a full attack. I pulled all squads back close to the base and was able to set up an ambush that eliminated 75% of the enemy forces, we sent a squad of our fastest 4 guys to the enemy base, took their flag, while we engaged the enemy at our base.

I was able to see that our guys who has taken the flag were spotted by the enemy. I deployed smoke grenades and ran into the open to distract the enemy, of course I got lit up like a Christmas tree at Rockerfeller Center, but it gave us the crucial time for our guys to make it to our base and win the game. This led to my promotion from 1st Lieutenant to Captain.

Sigh...that would have had so much more appeal if I was interviewed by a 30-something male than a 40-something female.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they are more interested in academic organizations. The person I was interviewing with at Jefferson wasn't too interested in a comeback win that I led my paintball team to. (They asked me to give them an example of me showing leadership skills.)

We were down to 14 men from 40, and the other team had gone into a full attack. I pulled all squads back close to the base and was able to set up an ambush that eliminated 75% of the enemy forces, we sent a squad of our fastest 4 guys to the enemy base, took their flag, while we engaged the enemy at our base.

I was able to see that our guys who has taken the flag were spotted by the enemy. I deployed smoke grenades and ran into the open to distract the enemy, of course I got lit up like a Christmas tree at Rockerfeller Center, but it gave us the crucial time for our guys to make it to our base and win the game. This led to my promotion from 1st Lieutenant to Captain.

Sigh...that would have had so much more appeal if I was interviewed by a 30-something male than a 40-something female.

I don't know if that EC shows much leadership exactly, a friend of mine who got into UCSF founded a non-profit orgnization for underpriviledged children and got nearly a million dollar grant for it. I think that's the kinda leadership they are looking for. This example is to illustrate a difference between an ordinary EC and an extraordinary EC that gets people accepted to top notch schools. I haven't done anything that drastic but I was the only english speaking Russian translator back in Russia for american peace corps volunteers in my provincial hometown and pretty much worked my behind off to help one of their projects get accomplished. I also have a music degree and helped organize concerts with classical music themes with profits going to russian orphanages.

Does it count if you're paid?

Maybe start a pre-pharm club? That way you can have the automatic leadership position as president and it also shows your willingness to teach others about your passion of pharmacy. And definitely continue volunteering/working at a pharmacy, if you haven't started already.

Try a fraternity/sorority, the pre-pharmacy society, a community service co-ed fraternity.

That's what I did. I was president of both my fraternity and the pre-pharmacy organization on campus. I did countless amounts of commuity service through those two organizations. Just don't get caught up in the Greek party scene too much.

I guess it depends what school you are applying to and who interviews you, but I had a lot of non-academic extracurricular activities. My interviewer asked me a ton of questions about them and how I went from doing that to pharmacy. I think having at least one non-academic EC is good because it shows that you have interest in other things besides school.

LOL thats awesome

Wow, that was a worthless post if I ever saw one. Not relevant to the thread whatsoever.