What are my chances of getting into a good pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nchop28

Reaction score
I entered my freshman year of college in a 2+4 DAP with Midwestern, but I dropped out after my sophomore year because I had to repeat a class. I just finished my junior year, and I have a 3.3 GPA and a 430 PCAT. I've been working as a certified pharmacy technician since I was 16 (I'm 21 now). I have some volunteer experience in a hospital, but not a lot. I have a moderate amount of non-healthcare volunteering. I'm looking at the MD/DO forums, and they're saying to be competitive for their programs, you need >3.6 GPA, >510 MCAT, hundreds of hours of clinical experience, and some kind of cherry on top. Even then, many people get rejected and have to apply next cycle. I just want to know what my chances would be to get into a very highly regarded pharmacy school. I'm an URM, but I want to know what my chances would be without that piece of information.

Members don't see this ad.

Your chances are decent because pharmacy school admissions requirements are pretty low to begin with + your experience in the field helps too. MD/DO program admissions requirements are more competitive than pharmacy because MD/DO courses are more difficult and require an exponential amount of effort to do well in. MD's and DO's also have to take several board exams during medical school and do well on them in order to match into a residency, not just pass them. Once they begin residency, they have to pass another board exam, and then they have to re-certify every 10 years. DO admissions requirements aren't as rigorous as MD admissions requirements, but they're still far higher than pharmacy.

I entered my freshman year of college in a 2+4 DAP with Midwestern, but I dropped out after my sophomore year because I had to repeat a class. I just finished my junior year, and I have a 3.3 GPA and a 430 PCAT. I've been working as a certified pharmacy technician since I was 16 (I'm 21 now). I have some volunteer experience in a hospital, but not a lot. I have a moderate amount of non-healthcare volunteering. I'm looking at the MD/DO forums, and they're saying to be competitive for their programs, you need >3.6 GPA, >510 MCAT, hundreds of hours of clinical experience, and some kind of cherry on top. Even then, many people get rejected and have to apply next cycle. I just want to know what my chances would be to get into a very highly regarded pharmacy school. I'm an URM, but I want to know what my chances would be without that piece of information.

PharmD is not an MD/DO.

If you desire a top 5 tier program, get a bachelors, do undergraduate research (with board presentation), continue work as a tech (earn PTCB cert in the process as well as gain sterile compounding certification even if you have not worked inpatient), maintain as high a GPA as possible (in your case at least a 3.3+ but a 3.5 is preferred), and for an assurance factor get a security clearance to slap on your credentials.

For all other programs, just cast a wide net and your bound to be picked up for a few interviews. Others get in with much lower stats without experience in a pharmacy nor a bachelors.....

Tread this career carefully

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

They let any warm body in these days.

Your chances of getting a job after you graduate are slim to none.

Reactions: 1 users
"good" and "pharmacy school" do not belong in the same sentence.....

You should be more than fine, probably a 430 is around 90th percentile so that will give you a great chance at many schools. For example, considering the University of Minnesota is #2 in the country and their gpa averages are around 3.3. With your hands on experience you should obtain a lot of acceptances to solid programs and maybe some scholarship money.

• Haha