ECs questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arjusmc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good morning all,

I've got a few questions regarding ECs. I have a ton of clinical hours, but no volunteering or shadowing. My back story is I joined the marine corps at 18 served a total of just under 10 years, while I was in I graduated with a degree in finance. I got hurt and was forced into a career change. After trying to work in the business field(honestly I was miserable) and working other jobs I was bit by the healthcare bug. I went to EMT school and worked as an EMT while attending paramedic school. I currently work as a Paramedic for a busy 911 system(3 years experience). Right now I have no shadowing hours outside of my work and school. I don't have any volunteer hours either. Considering I work closely with physicians do I need to worry about shadowing a lot? I was planning on shadowing some over the next year and applying next cycle to primarily DO schools as well as a few MD schools. Are volunteer hours crucial? Or will the fact that I have been in service pretty consistently since I was 18(with the exception of the gap after my discharge). Currently I am prepping for the MCAT(plan on Jan 18th 2019), and will be taking Biochem 2 and genetics in the spring while working.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
thanks for your support, Semper Fi!! So just some shadowing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck with everything @arjusmc , that’s so cool to see you pursuing your passions after all this time.

I know a lot of people at my age(35) feel like they ran out of time, or things are unobtainable at this point due to other life situations. I get what people are saying, but here’s the thing, time is inevitable. 5 years from now I’d rather be finishing med school, not regreting, and wondering what could have been.

Reactions: 1 user