ECs so far

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Columbia09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before I start, please note that I was a transfer student so I wasn't able to stay with a particular ec for that long. MY freshman year I was at a small private Catholic school and I participated in the following. The italian society, Health Profession Organization (went on a retreat for a weekend), biology club, and colleges against cancer. The following summer I just took summer classes. My sophomore year transferred to one of my current schools branch campuses and participated in the following. Science club (Vice president for a semester), another cancer fund raising organization where I helped raise money, a school ambassador (received a service award for this), and I did volunteer research for both semesters studying white blood cell counts in birds (participated in a research fair, received a certificate for participation, and my mentor wrote a letter of rec for me. She was also one of my biology professors). This summer I took physics one and two but I also volunteered at a rehab center ( direct patient care, putting on prosthetic legs, following the patients around the halls in wheel chairs while they were being rehabilitated by PT, should have over a hundred hours). Shadowed a D.O for 50 hrs, got a LOR and in addition also volunteered in the ER. SO over all my healthcare experience this summer is around 200 hrs. Next summer a plan on going on a geological expedition for a month in June but some people say that it is an ec while others say no because it's required for my major. And before that I'm taking the MCAT in May :scared:. Now I'm at the main campus and I;m looking to do more research and maybe do some other things at the local hospital as well as participating in a couple of clubs. So is this generic or are my Ecs holding some weight as of right now? Oh and I'm also an assistant scoutmaster (also an eagle scout)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Before I start, please note that I was a transfer student so I wasn't able to stay with a particular ec for that long. MY freshman year I was at a small private Catholic school and I participated in the following. The italian society, Health Profession Organization (went on a retreat for a weekend), biology club, and colleges against cancer. The following summer I just took summer classes. My sophomore year transferred to one of my current schools branch campuses and participated in the following. Science club (Vice president for a semester), another cancer fund raising organization where I helped raise money, a school ambassador (received a service award for this), and I did volunteer research for both semesters studying white blood cell counts in birds (participated in a research fair, received a certificate for participation, and my mentor wrote a letter of rec for me. She was also one of my biology professors). This summer I took physics one and two but I also volunteered at a rehab center ( direct patient care, putting on prosthetic legs, following the patients around the halls in wheel chairs while they were being rehabilitated by PT, should have over a hundred hours). Shadowed a D.O for 50 hrs, got a LOR and in addition also volunteered in the ER. SO over all my healthcare experience this summer is around 200 hrs. Next summer a plan on going on a geological expedition for a month in June but some people say that it is an ec while others say no because it's required for my major. And before that I'm taking the MCAT in May :scared:. Now I'm at the main campus and I;m looking to do more research and maybe do some other things at the local hospital as well as participating in a couple of clubs. So is this generic or are my Ecs holding some weight as of right now? Oh and I'm also an assistant scoutmaster (also an eagle scout)

Haha would have been easier if you listed the experiences instead of blocked it into a single thing of text. Was a difficult read, but its alright. You are looking very good and keep it up. Do not get worried about getting each and every EC you can possibly cram into your schedule though even with all of the transfer issues that break up your EC experiences. Just pick a few and immerse yourself into them and you will be fine. Quality over quantity, but you seem to be doing well in that category. Just keep at it and you will be fine.

Edit: Also research is good. I would definitely look into that option, but as with everything. Do not overextend yourself. Your MCAT is important and your GPA is important. So do not let your EC take you away from those. They are there to supplement your numbers so keep your focus.

Bullet points are your friend ...

While I believe some schools just use ECs as a checklist, most will want to know what you have gained from each experience or your most "important ones" at least. Did they bring you to have a greater understanding? Where you able to observe/learn/gain positive qualities? These are the things you should be thinking about.

Pretty solid honestly.
I'm a rising junior who has about 250 hours of clinical exposure. 100 hours of shadowing. 40 hours of filing at a doctor's office and running errands (non-clinical). 10 hours at a science fair teaching kids about cool experiments. Actively involved with American Chemical Society at my school. In some national honors fraternity (haven't had time to help with the events but I did get inducted). Have done research for 1.5 years. Will get at least 1-2 publications this year according to PI.
I plan to join a free clinic at school and devote 150 hours to it. Contemplating tutoring once/twice a week for my last two years for 100-120 hours. Plan to become more involved with pre-SOMA at my school despite it being a very small community (go to a university that is mostly business/engineering).

Pretty solid honestly.
I'm a rising junior who has about 250 hours of clinical exposure. 100 hours of shadowing. 40 hours of filing at a doctor's office and running errands (non-clinical). 10 hours at a science fair teaching kids about cool experiments. Actively involved with American Chemical Society at my school. In some national honors fraternity (haven't had time to help with the events but I did get inducted). Have done research for 1.5 years. Will get at least 1-2 publications this year according to PI.
I plan to join a free clinic at school and devote 150 hours to it. Contemplating tutoring once/twice a week for my last two years for 100-120 hours. Plan to become more involved with pre-SOMA at my school despite it being a very small community (go to a university that is mostly business/engineering).

Oh I also plan on going to Costa Rica next winter break for my tropical field ecology class. I'm doing everything I wanted to do as a child at my school. SO HAPPY :)

I also go invited Sigma Alpha Pi the national society of leadership and success and Phi Alpha Theta the history honor society

Last edited: