ECU Dental Applying 2011

lol

maybe its beer pong :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

awesome news.

Does anyone else think that there are a ton of interview days? It seems like Tuesdays and Wednesdays through Feb. are a ton of days...would that be about 48 interview days, maybe 5 ppl per day (around 250 total)? Thoughts?

I had 8 people during my interview... so a little more than 250

and the learning activity... is not bad!! you get to play on a iPad and work as a group to come up with a solution to a scenario they give you

Thanks cookie for the feedback. The 'learning activity' sounds interesting, a cool twist to an otherwise typical interview I imagine.

Any other thoughts about the school/administration?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good idea, I was wondering when they would add a page for ECU.

Now we just need one for predents!

I just wanted to thank the person who filled out an interview feedback for ECU, I found it very useful in preparing for my interview!:thumbup:

I had my interview yesterday. For those that haven't had theirs, I just wanted to say prepare for a good experience, b/c mine was. In regards to how you can prepare, just look over your application. That's pretty much it. Everyone is really nice. I'm not going to take questions about anything, but I thought I would let those that have not interviewed yet that to prepare for a pleasant experience, and nothing nerve-wrecking.

MrWilson: Thanks for the info, sounds like a good experience, I'm glad that it went well for you.:thumbup:

So I was thinking, and wanted to see what people thought of this: The number of applicants that ECU will accept will be quite high (relative to the number of seats) because of 'competing' with UNC for high quality applicants.

I think everything that I have read about ECU so far has sounded great, the interview feedback has left me impressed, and I like the idea of a new school, however, UNC is a 'known' quantity. With this in mind, assuming most in-state applicants get interviews (and accepted) to both schools, does anyone think that ECU will have to accept a higher number (proportionally) to fill the 50 seats?

My guess would be that both schools will have interviewed a similar number of applicants by Dec. 1st.

I applied to both schools.
Got interviewed at ECU. nothing from UNC yet.

its a toss up between the two.

But I do think more people would goto UNC over ECU if they had the chance. It would not surprise me if ECU gave mini scholarships or something along those lines to keep their seats filled.

I heard about a student, or students who received full rides to UNC if they work in north carolina for 5 years after they graduate. So i dont know. if that is true, then maybe ECU may do the same? but offer more incentive to fill seats.

Yeah, I haven't heard anything from UNC either, and I'm probably rationalizing things to myself. Interesting about the scholarships though, I've seen similar programs before (through the Feds or state I think).

Based on what I was told at my ECU interview, they had scheduled 90 interviews through Dec, and this number is including those that have already interviewed since late Sept. If they plan on interviewing through Feb (I think this is what I was told), then you can probably make an educated guess that they will interview around 150. They also mentioned that they will not give out all the seats to the class on Dec 1st.
I met a few in-staters at my UNC interview this past Saturday that had not received an interview or even heard from ECU, which was interesting.
Your assumption is probably right in regards to more students would jump at the chance to go to UNC over ECU, for the simple fact that it's an established and a very highly-regarded school. Because of that assumption, ECU may wait to see who receives a UNC acceptance, and then send its acceptances to those that had not received an acceptance from UNC on Dec 1. This is all pure speculation, but this is in fact the mindset of ECU's medical school. My best friend applied only to those two schools, and originally had ECU as #1. UNC accepted him, but he was denied at ECU. When he met with the dean of admissions at ECU, he was told, "well, you got into UNC; we figured you would go there anyhow regardless if we accepted you."
(And) The two schools may be communicating back and forth regards to which prospective students they want. I hope not, but who knows.

Interesting, thanks for the input MrWilson. Everything you said makes sense, and I hope that its true!

Members don't see this ad :)
yah, good info Wilson...

I wasnt aware that Dschools knew about other school's interviews.

I know they can see which schools you applied to through what you wrote down in AADSAS, but I didnt think they had access to all of that.

or do they..?

I hope not, but your guess is as good as mine

that is a really interesting thought. It would suck to get rejected from UNC because ECU wanted you or for ECU to reject you just because UNC accepted you.

Interesting comments, I guess my broader thought was that on the surface the two schools are 'working together' but behind the scenes will be scrambling to get the best in-state applicants out of the pool, and it will be interesting to see how ECU competes with an established school like UNC.

Based on what I was told at my ECU interview, they had scheduled 90 interviews through Dec, and this number is including those that have already interviewed since late Sept. If they plan on interviewing through Feb (I think this is what I was told), then you can probably make an educated guess that they will interview around 150. They also mentioned that they will not give out all the seats to the class on Dec 1st.

Curious, I was thinking back to my interview, and I don't remember them talking about any specific numbers regarding applications or interviews, was this a specific question you asked them?

Somebody in my group asked the cumulative amount of interviewee's had they interviewed and how many that are scheduled to interview through Dec. Now this was back in middle of Oct, so they may have some more scheduled through Jan.

Does anyone know (or think to ask at the interview) how we will be contacted on Wed? (if we are contacted of course!) :xf:

Good question. I didn't ask anybody at my interview, but my assumption would be by phone.

I sent an e-mail, I'll post if I hear anything back.

Hello to all...

I interviewed recently and was told that we would receive an email on Dec 1st that would say yes...no...or maybe..

Good Luck!

Hello to all...

I interviewed recently and was told that we would receive an email on Dec 1st that would say yes...no...or maybe.

Good Luck!

Wow, thanks for the info. I'm glad that we'll even know if it is a 'no' on the 1st, some schools wait until Feb to notify of the bad news.

Out of curiosity, had many of the interviewees also interviewed at UNC?

At least we will know where we stand with them come december first that is always nice to know. good luck all.

In reading some of the threads discussing the 'blanks' that are occuring on AADSAS, has anyone had any updates like this for ECU (or even UNC?) My status never changed even for my interview invite, so I assume that it won't be updated any time soon.

I was wondering the same thing jmt. No blanks for me for ECU (and I havent interviewed at UNC).

Did you ever get a reply to your email about notification tomorrow? And if so they didn't mention a time did they? I emailed shortly after the interview and Chris said notification would be by email and snail mail packet on the 1st, but didn't mention when the emails would be sent. just anxiously curious...

Good luck to everyone!

In reading some of the threads discussing the 'blanks' that are occuring on AADSAS, has anyone had any updates like this for ECU (or even UNC?) My status never changed even for my interview invite, so I assume that it won't be updated any time soon.

I've read about blanks happening in Case and Western, but I don't have any blanks for UNC or ECU (got interviews for both). We'll see. Does anyone know if we get the email at midnight?? I saw that at some other schools, they sent their acceptances right at midnight.

I was wondering the same thing jmt. No blanks for me for ECU (and I havent interviewed at UNC).

Did you ever get a reply to your email about notification tomorrow? And if so they didn't mention a time did they? I emailed shortly after the interview and Chris said notification would be by email and snail mail packet on the 1st, but didn't mention when the emails would be sent. just anxiously curious...

Good luck to everyone!

No I haven't had a reply, but according to an earlier post, I should know something tomorrow either way.

To sneil: a midnight e-mail would be awesome.

no blanks here.

and my status hasnt changed either since like july. so i dont see it changing anytime soon. didnt even change for interview.

Off topic, but:

Was anyone else frustrated that they weren't able to put up a separate page on predents for ECU? I hope for future classes they can.

Off topic, but:

Was anyone else frustrated that they weren't able to put up a separate page on predents for ECU? I hope for future classes they can.

Well I'm sure they will for future classes. But you know the point of it is to see previous classes stats and distributions and none of that information is available. The only thing they would've been able to put up there is class size and tuition.

The only reason I wanted it up there was so I can add it to my applied/interviewed list :)

The only reason I wanted it up there was so I can add it to my applied/interviewed list :)

Yeah, true, but I was thinking back to an earlier discussion about how the two schools may be 'coordinating' interviews/acceptances behind the scenes and having to look at each person's page is tedious.

Yeah, true, but I was thinking back to an earlier discussion about how the two schools may be 'coordinating' interviews/acceptances behind the scenes and having to look at each person's page is tedious.

Oh i didn't read about that. You think UNC and ECU are working together??

if im not mistaking i think you can also see current class information as well.

if you find the predents thread, you can see that a hand full (or maybe just 2-3) of schools were requested and added, but for some reason they never did ECU.

Yeah, I think it was earlier on this thread (and also the UNC vs. ECU thread), most people were speculating on the issue of UNC being an established school, ECU being new and how ECU would 'compete' for applicants with UNC in various ways.

i posted earlier about my thoughts on UNC/ECU and interview sharing of sorts. something like ECU has requested UNC to leave some students for ECU to accept or something like that. it sounds weird.

Im pretty sure most ECU applicants are capable of a UNC interview and vice versa. But from some talk on the forum, it seems like a small number of those interviewed at one school has also interviewed at the other. i know this forum makes up a small percentage of the applicant pool, but thats just what i think.

(only because i havnt had an interview there. :laugh::laugh::laugh:)

like everyone has been thinking, what will make a student that is accepted to both, goto UNC? tuition could be an answer, but when taking a loan, i cant imagine a huge difference between the two. my only though it scholarships ? ?

or maybe its just crazy talk and i am over thinking things.

or maybe its just crazy talk and i am over thinking things.

No I think that it is a legit point, I would think living in that part of the state, scholarships like you mentioned, family, etc. would be the motivators for applicants, but like I stated before, in my opinion I think ECU will 'over-accept' on Dec. 1st to compensate for the people that may not have heard from UNC or to hedge their bets on the applicants that want to go to a more 'established' school.
(If accepted to both)I would prefer greenville to chapel hill simply because the area is more in line with what I grew up with and think I would be more comfortable there, even if that means moving there.

I

I had a mid-November interview and at that time they said that by the time they are done interviewing, they will probably have interviewed about 300 applicants.

I had a mid-November interview and at that time they said that by the time they are done interviewing, they will probably have interviewed about 300 applicants.

300? I think thats more than the total number of in state residents who applied to chapel hill last year or the previous year. This would mean all in state residents would receive an interview, correct?

Interesting, seems like a lot of post-dec interviews if this is all accurate. (90 pre-dec 1, ~210 post Dec. 1)

Does this mean that they may have trouble filling the spots after the first round of acceptances? Most schools do not interview that many applicants after dec 1st (proportionally) right?

I think last year UNC had around 250 in-state folks apply.

Interesting, seems like a lot of post-dec interviews if this is all accurate. (90 pre-dec 1, ~210 post Dec. 1)

Does this mean that they may have trouble filling the spots after the first round of acceptances? Most schools do not interview that many applicants after dec 1st (proportionally) right?

I think last year UNC had around 250 in-state folks apply.

250 sounds about right.

This may have been answered before, but does anybody know roughly how many applicants ECU plans on accepting tomorrow? half the class or so?

did they interview EVERY tues/wedn starting on sept. 28/29? if so it would be more than 90.

i got 144 with the interviews ending last wedn. at 8 interviewee's per day.

but i dont know what the official schedule was. all i know is they started sept. 28 (tuesday) and were running every tues/wedn.. Im assuming 8 people per day. But i just dont know when they ended pre dec. 1st interviews. my guess would be last wedn.

did they interview EVERY tues/wedn starting on sept. 28/29? if so it would be more than 90.

I originally thought this too, but being OCD I re-read my interview invite e-mail and it said 'select' tuesdays and wednesdays.

Also, according to predents, someone is interviewing Nov 30th (today).

I got an email today saying that decisions still haven't been made and my file is under active review by the committee.... anyone else get this email?

I got an email today saying that decisions still haven't been made and my file is under active review by the committee.... anyone else get this email?

Nope. When was it sent, when did you interview?

I recently got that email too. Interview Oct 6th!

What do you mean by 'recently'??

The last e-mail I received from the school was about the tuition/fees clarification, which was sent on the 4th.

Other than that, I've heard nothing.