ED Administration Salary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrJon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much do physicians in ED administration make? or I suppose this might be better asked how much in comparison to a staff EM physician?

My fiance is about to start law school after several horrible years in accounting, and we are trying to jointly decide which law school and residency program is best for us. We are both quite competitive in our respective areas, so we'll have a good bit of choices. Her tuition is the issue under discussion now and I'm just trying to gather more info to help us decide between schools offering scholarships or resorting more loans on top of mine (nearly 300k).

As far as what I'm bringing to the table to garner such a position-
I have an MPH in disaster management, and will hopefully be entering a residency program that allows/encourages me to get an MBA.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

How much do physicians in ED administration make? or I suppose this might be better asked how much in comparison to a staff EM physician?

My fiance is about to start law school after several horrible years in accounting, and we are trying to jointly decide which law school and residency program is best for us. We are both quite competitive in our respective areas, so we'll have a good bit of choices. Her tuition is the issue under discussion now and I'm just trying to gather more info to help us decide between schools offering scholarships or resorting more loans on top of mine (nearly 300k).

I have an MPH in disaster management, and will hopefully be entering a residency program that allows/encourages me to get an MBA.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure about EM programs that allow/encourage you to get an MBA as there are fellowships designed for that purpose. The fellowships for an MBA I've seen pay your B-school tuition, give you days of doing hospital admin and also let you pick up 2-3 attending shifts per week (so you can make a decent salary).

So, I think you can go anywhere for residency and then pursue a fellowship later.

Thanks in advance.
You can get paid more, but generally, you just work clinically less. So lets say I work 1400 hours a year, and I get paid 200k. As an administrator, you might get the same pay, but work 700 hours a year.

Generally, though, there is a bit of a stipend. I have heard from 25k-100k.

But keep in mind that most places won't hire you off the bat to be an administrator right out of residency. You'll need probably at minimum one but preferably two before you move up the ranks. IMHO.

Q

Members don't see this ad :)
One other thing to consider is whether or not (once you get married) your program will give you (and your fam) a tuition discount.

At the U of A I think you get 70-75% off tuition which is a huge number.

For most EM admin is not the path to riches. Most of us do it because we like it and there are some perks. You wind up getting to know the hospital administrators and department heads which can be really helpful in a pinch. You sit on comittees with other docs so that helps when you need to consult or admit. You get to help design protocols. I have to review other doc's cases where there were problems which is a great learning opportunity.

My stipend as an assistant site director pays about $75/hr which is about .40% of a clinical hour. You make more as you work your way up and the guys in the higher echelons of the local group and the national corp obviously make more and work almost exclusively non-clinically.