ED Referrals- Memorable/Dismal/Ridiculous/Unique

Started by pkwraith
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ED to ED referrals

Patient sent from affiliate hospital ED.
Foley issue-possible Fournier's. I read through the transfer note multiple times. It's one of those rambling confusing block of texts, aka "wtf are they doing over there". Started off somewhere with foley malfunction and somehow ends up as possible nec-fasc and transfer here for urology.
Fortunately, I can see everything in Epic, so after reading all the notes and context, I can start to make sense of the medical misadeventure.
Patient has indwelling suprapubic catheter. It got clogged and stopped draining. Home nurse reports she can't take down the foley balloon. Patient was sent to the affiliate ED to fix the foley.
ED Doctor (family medicine doctor) orders a CT. The CT mentions distended bladder, tiny bubble of air in seminal vesicles. The doctor documents a normal GU exam, but because of these bubbles, and patient with significant lower abdominal pain, tachypnic, and tachycardic, therefore sepsis, needs 30 cc/kg bolus of fluids and received triple IV antibiotics for possible necrotizing infection, transfer here for urology. Receiving hospitalist was like "WTF is going on, send to ED for our guys to evaluate".

Out of all of this nonsense and laziness on everyone's part...the bolded pissed me off the most. Hospitalist accepted pt in transfer...pt WAS TRANSFERRED To hospital room and they MOVED THE PT to the ER? That is pukingly disgusting and the hospitalist should spontaneously combust. The moment we allow hospitalists to move inpatients to the ER because the hospalist is uncomfortable it will be abused inperpetuity.
 
Out of all of this nonsense and laziness on everyone's part...the bolded pissed me off the most. Hospitalist accepted pt in transfer...pt WAS TRANSFERRED To hospital room and they MOVED THE PT to the ER? That is pukingly disgusting and the hospitalist should spontaneously combust. The moment we allow hospitalists to move inpatients to the ER because the hospalist is uncomfortable it will be abused inperpetuity.
I'll defer to @pkwraith for the details, but that's not how I read the post. What I read was that the hospitalist was asked to take transfer from St. Elsewhere on behalf of the urology service and said that the transfer needed to be evaluated by the ED first. Now, that scenario is moderately defensible, especially because the patient likely would have rotted away before somebody came to see him if it was a transfer straight to the floor.

If I'm wrong about the interpretation though, I'm 100% with you on this one.
 
I'll defer to @pkwraith for the details, but that's not how I read the post. What I read was that the hospitalist was asked to take transfer from St. Elsewhere on behalf of the urology service and said that the transfer needed to be evaluated by the ED first. Now, that scenario is moderately defensible, especially because the patient likely would have rotted away before somebody came to see him if it was a transfer straight to the floor.

If I'm wrong about the interpretation though, I'm 100% with you on this one.
That's how I read it. Hospitalist wanted patient to go from other hospital to his/her ER for evaluation so he/she could figure out whether to place patient in ICU, floor, etc.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's how I read it. Hospitalist wanted patient to go from other hospital to his/her ER for evaluation so he/she could figure out whether to place patient in ICU, floor, etc.

Honest question: they can't accept the patient to the floor, evaluate, decide that they (do/do not) need a different unit, and do the thing?
 
Honest question: they can't accept the patient to the floor, evaluate, decide that they (do/do not) need a different unit, and do the thing?
ED is ICU level care. Going from floor to ICU with no available ICU beds is a nightmare. Usually a rapid response nurse has to sit with the patient in a regular room tying up the rapid response nurse for other things.

I get what you're saying in concept. Ideally it would work that way.
 
Honest question: they can't accept the patient to the floor, evaluate, decide that they (do/do not) need a different unit, and do the thing?
I’m not a hospitalist but as IM to be honest if I got a call about a patient and the other end of the phone sounded clueless I would trust you guys to get the basic situation sorted out better than us.

In reality though there is probably a metric about patients getting admitted to floor and rapidly having their care escalated that the hospitalist wants to avoid.
 
Honest question: they can't accept the patient to the floor, evaluate, decide that they (do/do not) need a different unit, and do the thing?
Legit and reasonable question. And it shows how long it's been since you've been upstairs.

Is it technically possible for what you describe to happen? Yes. Is it practical, safe, or in the best interest of the patient? Almost never.

Take the hospitalist out of the equation for a minute, the average gen med floor charge RN is going to see that patient roll through the doors on her unit, kneecap EMS, grab the stretcher and take him down to the ED before the elevator door even closes.

And from a truly practical standpoint, that patient rolls up in your ED, you and your RN see what @pkwraith saw, 15 minutes later, it's sorted and the patient is back home before the labs come back on your next patient. If they wind up on the floor, it's likely 60-90 minutes before a full RN and MD evaluation happens, then everybody freaks the F out, calls urology (we'll be there in an hour), calls the ICU (no, there aren't any beds, but we'll come up and assess as soon as we can), now you're 4-6 hours into an unnecessary hospitalization with no improvement in the patient's condition, for something that you guys would have handled in a hot second.

That's just the reality of medicine these days. You can rail against it all you want (and there's plenty to rail against), but that doesn't help the patient in front of us.
 
I'll defer to @pkwraith for the details, but that's not how I read the post. What I read was that the hospitalist was asked to take transfer from St. Elsewhere on behalf of the urology service and said that the transfer needed to be evaluated by the ED first. Now, that scenario is moderately defensible, especially because the patient likely would have rotted away before somebody came to see him if it was a transfer straight to the floor.

If I'm wrong about the interpretation though, I'm 100% with you on this one.

Ah.

In that case I would not accept the transfer, as an ER doc. An ER doc transferring a patient to another ER doc in this case. St. Elsewhere can transfer the patient to the ICU then. I, as an ER doc, would not accept the transfer unless Dr. SeminalVesicle said he would come into the ER and stabilize the patient upon arrival.
 
Legit and reasonable question. And it shows how long it's been since you've been upstairs.

Is it technically possible for what you describe to happen? Yes. Is it practical, safe, or in the best interest of the patient? Almost never.

Take the hospitalist out of the equation for a minute, the average gen med floor charge RN is going to see that patient roll through the doors on her unit, kneecap EMS, grab the stretcher and take him down to the ED before the elevator door even closes.

And from a truly practical standpoint, that patient rolls up in your ED, you and your RN see what @pkwraith saw, 15 minutes later, it's sorted and the patient is back home before the labs come back on your next patient. If they wind up on the floor, it's likely 60-90 minutes before a full RN and MD evaluation happens, then everybody freaks the F out, calls urology (we'll be there in an hour), calls the ICU (no, there aren't any beds, but we'll come up and assess as soon as we can), now you're 4-6 hours into an unnecessary hospitalization with no improvement in the patient's condition, for something that you guys would have handled in a hot second.

That's just the reality of medicine these days. You can rail against it all you want (and there's plenty to rail against), but that doesn't help the patient in front of us.

I don't think this has ever happened at my hospital thank goodness.

This is absolute nonsense. ******* ER doc at DufusMcDingus Hospital doesn't know how to exchange a foley catheter. Pt is sick because they f up. They get a hospitalist at some other VeryReasonable Hospital to accept patient. The ER doc in VeryReasonable hospital is minding his own business totally unaware of what is happening...then all of a sudden a pt ACCEPTED by the hospitalist rolls into Bed 3 in the ER. Hospitalist comes down and says "ER Doc at VeryReasonable Hospital...please evaluate this patient to determine how sick he is. Then we can figure out where he goes."

I would not be involved in this in anyway. Either our hospital has ICU or floor beds available for patient transfers, and the patient gets transferred there, or it doesn't.
 
Legit and reasonable question. And it shows how long it's been since you've been upstairs.

Is it technically possible for what you describe to happen? Yes. Is it practical, safe, or in the best interest of the patient? Almost never.

(1.) Take the hospitalist out of the equation for a minute, the average gen med floor charge RN is going to see that patient roll through the doors on her unit, kneecap EMS, grab the stretcher and take him down to the ED before the elevator door even closes.

And from a truly practical standpoint, that patient rolls up in your ED, you and your RN see what @pkwraith saw, 15 minutes later, it's sorted and the patient is back home before the labs come back on your next patient. (2.) If they wind up on the floor, it's likely 60-90 minutes before a full RN and MD evaluation happens, then everybody freaks the F out, calls urology (we'll be there in an hour), calls the ICU (no, there aren't any beds, but we'll come up and assess as soon as we can), now you're 4-6 hours into an unnecessary hospitalization with no improvement in the patient's condition, for something that you guys would have handled in a hot second.

That's just the reality of medicine these days. You can rail against it all you want (and there's plenty to rail against), but that doesn't help the patient in front of us.

Not being adversarial. I never, ever go upstairs. The overnight ICU NP calls me with questions sometimes, and I say : "Go away. Go wake up Dr. Pulm/CC. No, I'm not going to do your job for you."


1. If the IM physician accepts the transfer, I expect them to... come see the patient when they get here. Radical idea, I know.

2. Why? IM can learn to "move their ass". Its not magic what we do downstairs... its simply assmoving. Put down what you're doing and go see the patient. That task will still be there when you get back.

Am I missing some detail here? Like, what are you guys doing upstairs that takes so much goddamned time? The RN has to log off instagram and finish their online certification for something that doesn't matter... the IM doc is busy playing with themselves and thinking about PEMDAS or some such irrelevant siht... GO AND SEE THE PATIENT.
 
Last edited:
Not being adversarial. I never, ever go upstairs. The overnight ICU NP calls me with questions sometimes, and I say : "Go away. Go wake up Dr. Pulm/CC. No, I'm not going to do your job for you."


1. If the IM physician accepts the transfer, I expect them to... come see the patient when they get here. Radical idea, I know.

2. Why? IM can learn to "move their ass". Its not magic what we do downstairs... its simply assmoving. Put down what you're doing and go see the patient. That task will still be there when you get back.

Am I missing some detail here? Like, what are you guys doing upstairs that takes so much goddamned time? The RN has to log off instagram and finish their online certification for something that doesn't matter... the IM doc is busy playing with themselves and thinking about PEMDAS or some such irrelevant siht... GO AND SEE THE PATIENT.
I'm not being adversarial either...and I don't think you are. I hope you never have to go upstairs. But its a different world up there and it might help to understand it a bit better as it will help you understand why stuff like this happens. That was all I was trying to get at. Your frustration and annoyance is completely reasonable.

Honestly, it's the general lack of support and "skills" upstairs. IM residency doesn't teach a whole lot of procedural stuff anymore, and I guarantee that the hospitalist wouldn't have touched that suprapubic cath without urology at the bedside. You all have the skills (and the stones) to just deal with it.

That's all I'm trying to get at here. A competent EP can fix and dispo this problem in 5 minutes. A competent hospitalist turns this into a 3 day hospital stay.
 
I'm not being adversarial either...and I don't think you are. I hope you never have to go upstairs. But its a different world up there and it might help to understand it a bit better as it will help you understand why stuff like this happens. That was all I was trying to get at. Your frustration and annoyance is completely reasonable.

Honestly, it's the general lack of support and "skills" upstairs. IM residency doesn't teach a whole lot of procedural stuff anymore, and I guarantee that the hospitalist wouldn't have touched that suprapubic cath without urology at the bedside. You all have the skills (and the stones) to just deal with it.

That's all I'm trying to get at here. A competent EP can fix and dispo this problem in 5 minutes. A competent hospitalist turns this into a 3 day hospital stay.

Not being adversarial. I never, ever go upstairs. The overnight ICU NP calls me with questions sometimes, and I say : "Go away. Go wake up Dr. Pulm/CC. No, I'm not going to do your job for you."


1. If the IM physician accepts the transfer, I expect them to... come see the patient when they get here. Radical idea, I know.

2. Why? IM can learn to "move their ass". Its not magic what we do downstairs... its simply assmoving. Put down what you're doing and go see the patient. That task will still be there when you get back.

Am I missing some detail here? Like, what are you guys doing upstairs that takes so much goddamned time? The RN has to log off instagram and finish their online certification for something that doesn't matter... the IM doc is busy playing with themselves and thinking about PEMDAS or some such irrelevant siht... GO AND SEE THE PATIENT.
.

When my nurses call report they are often told the nurse can’t take report because there’s a rapid response on the same floor. I would suspect that each of my nurses has 2 patients at any given time that are less stable than the average rapid response. It’s not a doctor issue. It’s that the floor nurses generally aren’t used to or able to prioritize urgent issues the way our nurses do every single day. If the questionably competent doc at St Elsewhere wants me to eyeball the patient , I don’t care .. either they were wrong that the patient needed anything from me and it’s my easiest patient ever, or they were right and they need real ER workup and management, and I’m good at that. Either way is fine 🤣
 
#1 is so ridiculous as to be comical. Why wouldn’t changing out the SP cath be the first (and only) thing to do?

#2 I don’t get the criticism— highly doubt that an NG was gonna solve this guys problem. Sure the inappropriate antibiotic choice and lack of IVF didn’t help.
Total tangent, fell free to ignore...an NG won't solve an SBO, of course, but if you have a tense belly from an SBO that is getting close to abdominal compartment syndrome, then decompressing the bowel with an NGT can very much help perfusion.
 
Total tangent, fell free to ignore...an NG won't solve an SBO, of course, but if you have a tense belly from an SBO that is getting close to abdominal compartment syndrome, then decompressing the bowel with an NGT can very much help perfusion.
I don't disagree at all. However, wrt the case in question:
1) Oftentimes, in my experience, closed-loop obstructions don't have that much actual gastric distention. And decompressing the stomach won't actually do anything to decrease luminal pressure in the malperfused segment of bowel.
2) The patient in question already had evidence of bowel ischemia on a CT several hours prior. I think the cat was out of the bag by then.
3) The fact that two surgeons each attempted NG placement at the bedside suggests that there was an inappropriate amount of dithering going on, when the patient really needed an ex-lap (or comfort care).
 
Yeah if another physician accepts a patient I'm not doing anything except paging them to see their patient.

The only exception is if they require immediate stabilization which is really the only reason for ED to ED transfers.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In my hospital system, patient transfer are punted to ED-to-ED transfer for a few reasons. Most of the time surgical issue patients are sent directly to the ED so they can get their surgery consult done immediately instead of waiting for a room. Other things include things like stroke transfers or something that requires rapid intervention. The other (like in the situation) is when the accepting hospitalist cannot figure out what the level of care is for the patient, such as an complex evolving situation or in this case, a incomprehensible report. Aka, is this patient a foley change or is it Fourniers (two very different situation that a normal ED physician should be able to figure out). So, the hospitalist accepts the patient, to the ED.
The ED doctors are cut out from the transfer process, except for when the medical directors are listed as accepted physicians for automatic transfers (all urgent care transfers are auto accept). We also have a protocol for auto ED-to-ED transfer from our FSEDs for critical patient or surge conditions. The working ED doctors have no idea what shows up until they pop up on our transfer list.

This does lead to a situations where I really do nothing except see the patient, and put in an admission, which sucks for the patient but then again its like when ### specialist sends a patient in to the ED to be directly admitted (when they could directly admit the patient themselves from home) which tends to annoy me more.
 
its like when ### specialist sends a patient in to the ED to be directly admitted (when they could directly admit the patient themselves from home) which tends to annoy me more.
As someone who is paid entirely based on revenue generated, I absolutely love those patients. The patient knows they're going to the ED to be admitted. The accepting doc has pre-accepted them. There're rarely any diagnostic landmines. 1 minute of saying "Hi, I'm Boardingdoc, and I'll be getting all your preop stuff ordered and get you admitted." Lvl 5 chart. Everyone involved in the process is happy. Next.

Were I not compensated as I am, I would likely feel differently.
 
As someone who is paid entirely based on revenue generated, I absolutely love those patients. The patient knows they're going to the ED to be admitted. The accepting doc has pre-accepted them. There're rarely any diagnostic landmines. 1 minute of saying "Hi, I'm Boardingdoc, and I'll be getting all your preop stuff ordered and get you admitted." Lvl 5 chart. Everyone involved in the process is happy. Next.

Were I not compensated as I am, I would likely feel differently.

Are you confident you always get reimbursed for this? That is…does insurance pay for 2 ER visits? I doubt it. You might get RVUs though but I don’t think these patients increase revenue to the group
 
As someone who is paid entirely based on revenue generated, I absolutely love those patients. The patient knows they're going to the ED to be admitted. The accepting doc has pre-accepted them. There're rarely any diagnostic landmines. 1 minute of saying "Hi, I'm Boardingdoc, and I'll be getting all your preop stuff ordered and get you admitted." Lvl 5 chart. Everyone involved in the process is happy. Next.

Were I not compensated as I am, I would likely feel differently.
It's also because "boardingdoc" refers to what you do outside of work, not what you do in your ED. 😉
 
Are you confident you always get reimbursed for this? That is…does insurance pay for 2 ER visits? I doubt it. You might get RVUs though but I don’t think these patients increase revenue to the group
I'm not referring to a transfer, I'm referring to a surgeon or whoever sends a patient in from home to the ED for admission instead of arranging for them to be directly admitted. There's only 1 ED visit in that case.
 
We are compensated for ED to ED transfers. This is from the hospital though based off of billing and not collections.

I don't know for sure what insurance will reimburse. I've previously been told that insurance will only pay the first bill submitted, and I've heard of places that try to submit the bill as fast as possible to beat out the sending facility. I've never known if that is true or successful.
What I've heard from a few groups, utilizing different billing companies, is that insurance will only pay one bill per group. So if you transfer a patient to your same group at a different hospital, only 1 bill gets paid. However, if a different group transfers the patient to you, both can bill.
 
What I've heard from a few groups, utilizing different billing companies, is that insurance will only pay one bill per group. So if you transfer a patient to your same group at a different hospital, only 1 bill gets paid. However, if a different group transfers the patient to you, both can bill.
Not correct.

One ED visit per 24 hour period. It's not dependent on the time the physician sees the patient. It's the date of service when they check into the ER. Physician A sees patient who checked in at 1600 hours and transfers patient, patient gets registered at hospital B at 2330, physician B sees at 0001, physician B can't get paid (except for below circumstance). If patient arrives after midnight and is registered at 0001 and physician B sees at anytime during that day, both ED visits get paid.

Some groups will pay for transfers regardless and will just take the hit. The doc gets the RVU credits for it.

If the patient is registered at hospital A at 1600 and registered at hospital B at 2300, but group B (i.e., CMG B mainly) submits their bill for reimbursement before group A does, then group B will get paid and group A won't get paid anything at all.

Personally, if a patient gets transferred and I discharge them, I think I should always get paid since I accept all liability. One of the reasons why I'm very glad my group is quick submitting claims and also why I like getting RVU reimbursement even if my group doesn't get paid.

I think your confusion comes from two different groups providing simultaneous care. If you perform sedation, but a different group performs a procedure (like pulmonary, trauma surgery, orthopaedic surgery, etc.), then you can bill for the sedation and the other group can bill for the procedure. If two docs from same group tag team a patient with sedation and procedure, then only one can bill (a combined procedure/sedation instead of separate). This is changing soon though.

Hopefully this is clear. I'm a little scatter brain today.
 
This spun me in to a dimension of pissed off I hadn't been in for a while.

Our campus across town has Inpatient psych, rehab, and detox. Apparently, a COVID patient has slipped through to the psych unit and now they're reswabbing everybody. Sent a patient to us for being COVID positive. Not symptomatic, not coughing, no change in vitals, nada. Just positive. So now, they will board in the department for 5 days until their test is negative, or they get sick enough to be admitted (where they will still board.)Because god forbid, anyone takes a COVID positive psych patient. Out of my 28 beds, I have 15 boarders and will likely have more before this night shift is through.
 
This spun me in to a dimension of pissed off I hadn't been in for a while.

Our campus across town has Inpatient psych, rehab, and detox. Apparently, a COVID patient has slipped through to the psych unit and now they're reswabbing everybody. Sent a patient to us for being COVID positive. Not symptomatic, not coughing, no change in vitals, nada. Just positive. So now, they will board in the department for 5 days until their test is negative, or they get sick enough to be admitted (where they will still board.)Because god forbid, anyone takes a COVID positive psych patient. Out of my 28 beds, I have 15 boarders and will likely have more before this night shift is through.

We as a society need to start accepting COVID as part of the new normal, and internalize that asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic patients often require other services (psych, surgery, endoscopy, etc.) on a semi-urgent basis.
 
This spun me in to a dimension of pissed off I hadn't been in for a while.

Our campus across town has Inpatient psych, rehab, and detox. Apparently, a COVID patient has slipped through to the psych unit and now they're reswabbing everybody. Sent a patient to us for being COVID positive. Not symptomatic, not coughing, no change in vitals, nada. Just positive. So now, they will board in the department for 5 days until their test is negative, or they get sick enough to be admitted (where they will still board.)Because god forbid, anyone takes a COVID positive psych patient. Out of my 28 beds, I have 15 boarders and will likely have more before this night shift is through.
Our psych team has done the same ****. I typically review all of their records and if they are calm and cooperative, no SI/HI currently, and were voluntary psych admits or were extremely questionable whether they ever needed to be admitted to psych to begin with (usually drunkicidle or meth psychosis), I tell psych they either take them back immediately or I’m discharging them. Usually I’m discharging them.
 
We as a society need to start accepting COVID as part of the new normal, and internalize that asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic patients often require other services (psych, surgery, endoscopy, etc.) on a semi-urgent basis.
The 2 hospital systems I have privileges at are changing their rules on Jan. 1 to no longer preemptively swab asymptomatic patients admitted for non-respiratory/infectious issues or pre-procedural. We're basically just adding COVID to the "Universal Precautions" list, which I think is a step in the right direction.
 
I would take these 1 inch putts and job security over seeing 80 year old complicated nursing home pts any day.

Give them all to me with their associated job security.

When you do do a NH admit, could you please put the actual name in the note..😏

I come in to admit, family gone, paperwork lost, initial nurse not there.
 
The 2 hospital systems I have privileges at are changing their rules on Jan. 1 to no longer preemptively swab asymptomatic patients admitted for non-respiratory/infectious issues or pre-procedural. We're basically just adding COVID to the "Universal Precautions" list, which I think is a step in the right direction.

Same, symptomatic swabs only.

Also no pre-OR swabs. (Does it matter, positive or negative the case is still happening, why waste the resources?)
 
"There's no one at the jail to give out medications"

Type 2 diabetic on Metformin. No nurse at the jail to administer medications. No officer allowed to dispense them. So, they brought them in 3 times by EMS for their meds. Hospitalist decided to obs them until the jail nurse comes back to work in 48 hrs
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"There's no one at the jail to give out medications"

Type 2 diabetic on Metformin. No nurse at the jail to administer medications. No officer allowed to dispense them. So, they brought them in 3 times by EMS for their meds. Hospitalist decided to obs them until the jail nurse comes back to work in 48 hrs
That's not true, right? I mean the part about obs?
 
This sounds EMTALA-adjacent. If the patient went from inpatient elsewhere to ER, then that could be EMTALA violation. Likewise, if the hospitalist is listed as the "accepting" physician, then refuses to care for the patient on arrival, it could be EMTALA. If this patient is going ER to ER, then the conversation should have been between the two ED physicians.
 
"There's no one at the jail to give out medications"

Type 2 diabetic on Metformin. No nurse at the jail to administer medications. No officer allowed to dispense them. So, they brought them in 3 times by EMS for their meds. Hospitalist decided to obs them until the jail nurse comes back to work in 48 hrs

Why isn't that cat summarily discharged the moment he walks in?
 
That's not true, right? I mean the part about obs?

Nope, absolutely true, We all figured it would be easier than the jail calling 911 every 12 hours, bringing her back by EMS, giving her her meds, and d/c back to the jail.
Why isn't that cat summarily discharged the moment he walks in?
Thought about it, and that was the original plan. But it was going to keep happening every 12 hours until the nurse got back off vacation, figured it would be easier on all parties just to board in the ED
 
Nope, absolutely true, We all figured it would be easier than the jail calling 911 every 12 hours, bringing her back by EMS, giving her her meds, and d/c back to the jail.

Thought about it, and that was the original plan. But it was going to keep happening every 12 hours until the nurse got back off vacation, figured it would be easier on all parties just to board in the ED
That’s crazy. Around here even firefighter-basic medics are allowed to give people their own meds , so it seems like a bailiff should be able to as well - I could see sending them in once to confirm those meds are appropriate and safe for the person. Like 98% of med doses are administered by non medical people , to themselves and family members.
How frustrating that must have been.
 
That’s crazy. Around here even firefighter-basic medics are allowed to give people their own meds , so it seems like a bailiff should be able to as well - I could see sending them in once to confirm those meds are appropriate and safe for the person. Like 98% of med doses are administered by non medical people , to themselves and family members.
How frustrating that must have been.
I’d probably just write a note, OK to be off metformin for 48 hours.

Or give them a scan with contrast. Problem fixed!
 
A few cases, these are ED transfers. And just to not pick on APPs, these are all transferred by MDs (not all ED MD).

1. Transfer from FSED. "Blue hands". blue discoloration of hand in the "radial artery distribution." Patient having "a lot of pain". Sent for vascular study and vascular consultation. Seen by triage APP, gets a ABI (normal), gets a CT Angio upper extremity (normal). Roomed, ED doc sees and wipes off the new blue jean dye from the hand with alcohol swab. Pain resolves. We all know these stories, but I guess this patient needed to add psychic pain (but probably didn't deserve the million dollar workup).

2. Transfer from FSED. 40 yo Facial palsy with concern from otitic meningitis? Had left ear discomfort for a few days (given antibiotics for an "otitis media" at an urgent care) then developed left facial palsy of the upper and lower portion of the face. At FSED, received a CT angio head/neck, a CT veno, followed by something called CT auditory canal? (All normal). Receivied IV antibiotics and IV acyclovir (I guess otitis media invading the facial nerve?). Was transferred for MRI, ENT, and neurology.
Patient has a stopover in the ED due to boarding and having no rooms. I see a normal looking dude with bell's palsy. I look in patient's ear. Clear view, completely normal (no otitis, no vesicles, no pain). His exam is typical Bell Palsy. His symptoms of ear pain was common prodrome for Bell Palsy and obviously never had otitis. Since he was slated for inpatient room, I asked him if he really wanted to continue with this current trajectory of testing (he said yes). After a million dollar workup for what looks like bell's palsy, his ultimate diagnosis: bell's palsy. I didn't have the heart to tell him about his incoming bill.

3. At tertiary center. Get a 60 yo Back Pain transfer from a ED an hour away. Transfer documentation requests transfer for neurosurgery evalution, for back pain, bilateral leg numbness. I can see all their notes. 3 visits at their ED in the last week for this. Finally kept for about 12 hours for a MRI which shows your typical more BS for anyone over the age of 40 (mild multilevel degenerative disc disease). APP sees and staffs with me, says neurosurgery consulted. I see nothing on the MRI that would mandate an emergent neurosurgery transfer but sure I go see this patient. I pull his socks off, wtf is his pulses? Feet is cold but it's both feet. Can't palpate, can't doppler, we have ABI available (measures 0 bilateral). He says he hasn't been able to walk for 3 days. Further exam shows late findings of muscular ischemia. I ask if anyone before me has checked his pulses like me (answer: "No").
A neurosurgery PA must have snuck in and ordered MRI of the rest of his spine (since his MRI Lumbar is literally nothing burger) which I cancelled while I was getting his angio and vascular surgery consult coordinated. Obviously his distal aorta was clotted all the way down and no collaterals. Unsalvageable due to very late presentation.
I call the sending ED and "wtf, this patient you sent me has no pulses?". Get a call from their ED medical director (Family medicine) an hour later mad that I'm agitating their staff and insinuating subpar care, "of course I would have checked a pulse if I did a rectal exam.".
Patient refused amputation until very late in their stay and ended up dying afterwards.
 
A few cases, these are ED transfers. And just to not pick on APPs, these are all transferred by MDs (not all ED MD).

1. Transfer from FSED. "Blue hands". blue discoloration of hand in the "radial artery distribution." Patient having "a lot of pain". Sent for vascular study and vascular consultation. Seen by triage APP, gets a ABI (normal), gets a CT Angio upper extremity (normal). Roomed, ED doc sees and wipes off the new blue jean dye from the hand with alcohol swab. Pain resolves. We all know these stories, but I guess this patient needed to add psychic pain (but probably didn't deserve the million dollar workup).

2. Transfer from FSED. 40 yo Facial palsy with concern from otitic meningitis? Had left ear discomfort for a few days (given antibiotics for an "otitis media" at an urgent care) then developed left facial palsy of the upper and lower portion of the face. At FSED, received a CT angio head/neck, a CT veno, followed by something called CT auditory canal? (All normal). Receivied IV antibiotics and IV acyclovir (I guess otitis media invading the facial nerve?). Was transferred for MRI, ENT, and neurology.
Patient has a stopover in the ED due to boarding and having no rooms. I see a normal looking dude with bell's palsy. I look in patient's ear. Clear view, completely normal (no otitis, no vesicles, no pain). His exam is typical Bell Palsy. His symptoms of ear pain was common prodrome for Bell Palsy and obviously never had otitis. Since he was slated for inpatient room, I asked him if he really wanted to continue with this current trajectory of testing (he said yes). After a million dollar workup for what looks like bell's palsy, his ultimate diagnosis: bell's palsy. I didn't have the heart to tell him about his incoming bill.

3. At tertiary center. Get a 60 yo Back Pain transfer from a ED an hour away. Transfer documentation requests transfer for neurosurgery evalution, for back pain, bilateral leg numbness. I can see all their notes. 3 visits at their ED in the last week for this. Finally kept for about 12 hours for a MRI which shows your typical more BS for anyone over the age of 40 (mild multilevel degenerative disc disease). APP sees and staffs with me, says neurosurgery consulted. I see nothing on the MRI that would mandate an emergent neurosurgery transfer but sure I go see this patient. I pull his socks off, wtf is his pulses? Feet is cold but it's both feet. Can't palpate, can't doppler, we have ABI available (measures 0 bilateral). He says he hasn't been able to walk for 3 days. Further exam shows late findings of muscular ischemia. I ask if anyone before me has checked his pulses like me (answer: "No").
A neurosurgery PA must have snuck in and ordered MRI of the rest of his spine (since his MRI Lumbar is literally nothing burger) which I cancelled while I was getting his angio and vascular surgery consult coordinated. Obviously his distal aorta was clotted all the way down and no collaterals. Unsalvageable due to very late presentation.
I call the sending ED and "wtf, this patient you sent me has no pulses?". Get a call from their ED medical director (Family medicine) an hour later mad that I'm agitating their staff and insinuating subpar care, "of course I would have checked a pulse if I did a rectal exam.".
Patient refused amputation until very late in their stay and ended up dying afterwards.
Yep. My most recent one. Patient sent from an hour plus away.. CC priapism. He tells me “urology said you can probably do this but they can come in if you cant”

I ask what did you do? Nothing.. literally nothing. He said the guy injected Trimix. I said how about phenylephrine? How about terbutaline? Nope nothing. He tells me he is not an EM doc (obviously) and doesnt know what to do or how to do it. I said at least give the dude terbutaline IM. He said he would. Patient got nothing, shows up in our ED.. We do what real ED docs do and fix the patient and dc and let Urology know we fixed the problem and dont need their help.

When I complain about non EM docs in EDs this is why and cases just like it. Generally a bunch of other specialty rejects going down the path of least resistance. If you cant get an EM doc just call it what it is.. an urgent care or a clinic and you shouldn’t get paid for running an ED. I know this isnt popular. IDGAF. It’s reality. If you cant do the basic things an EM doc can do you shouldn’t be able to bill as an ED. Period. Full stop.

Yep.. it will suck for these communities.. you know what.. poor care and mismanagement of care is also sucky.

I can do 80% of what a normal cardiologist does, same for a PCP or a psychiatrist. I can do a lot of what a lot of other docs do especially with a few hours of brushing up on stuff.
 
Yep. My most recent one. Patient sent from an hour plus away.. CC priapism. He tells me “urology said you can probably do this but they can come in if you cant”

I ask what did you do? Nothing.. literally nothing. He said the guy injected Trimix. I said how about phenylephrine? How about terbutaline? Nope nothing. He tells me he is not an EM doc (obviously) and doesnt know what to do or how to do it. I said at least give the dude terbutaline IM. He said he would. Patient got nothing, shows up in our ED.. We do what real ED docs do and fix the patient and dc and let Urology know we fixed the problem and dont need their help.

When I complain about non EM docs in EDs this is why and cases just like it. Generally a bunch of other specialty rejects going down the path of least resistance. If you cant get an EM doc just call it what it is.. an urgent care or a clinic and you shouldn’t get paid for running an ED. I know this isnt popular. IDGAF. It’s reality. If you cant do the basic things an EM doc can do you shouldn’t be able to bill as an ED. Period. Full stop.

Yep.. it will suck for these communities.. you know what.. poor care and mismanagement of care is also sucky.

I can do 80% of what a normal cardiologist does, same for a PCP or a psychiatrist. I can do a lot of what a lot of other docs do especially with a few hours of brushing up on stuff.
Barely related tangent, but trimix kinda amuses me. First 10 years of my career I never saw it used once. Nowadays I send 1-2 patients per month to urology to talk about it. Apparently 20 years of uncontrolled diabetes, smoking, and 17 HTN meds will overpower even the heftiest dose of Viagra.
 
I don't fault Non EM docs trying to moonlight for some extra $$$. Sometimes you just got to go with suboptimal care in a suboptimal situation.

If a non EM doc who hasn't seen limb ischemia, compartment syndrome sends them to me then really I am higher level of care. We all have had pts sent from a PCP/UC/outside ERs concerning for compartment syndrome which ended up nothing more than a bad bruise.

What gives me more pause is when a sister hospital(no ENT) with EM boarded docs sends me a peritonsillar abscess (We have ENT). I am typically polite and just tell the doc to inform the pt that I may just take care of it without need for an ENT. 100% of the time, I just drain, start on ABX/Steroids, and sent to ENT. Maybe I was trained to do this and newer EM docs are not. No big deal if someone feels uncomfortable.

Anyhow, I always see "Unnecessary" Transfers as easy pts that doesn't register on my irritation scale.
 
I don't fault Non EM docs trying to moonlight for some extra $$$. Sometimes you just got to go with suboptimal care in a suboptimal situation.

If a non EM doc who hasn't seen limb ischemia, compartment syndrome sends them to me then really I am higher level of care. We all have had pts sent from a PCP/UC/outside ERs concerning for compartment syndrome which ended up nothing more than a bad bruise.

What gives me more pause is when a sister hospital(no ENT) with EM boarded docs sends me a peritonsillar abscess (We have ENT). I am typically polite and just tell the doc to inform the pt that I may just take care of it without need for an ENT. 100% of the time, I just drain, start on ABX/Steroids, and sent to ENT. Maybe I was trained to do this and newer EM docs are not. No big deal if someone feels uncomfortable.

Anyhow, I always see "Unnecessary" Transfers as easy pts that doesn't register on my irritation scale.
I also learned to drain them. this seems less common now.

After spending a chunk of my career at Level 1 trauma centers.. a lot of transfers are just poeple not wanting to deal with or manage patients. Throw in the morbidly obese needing a CT done but it limits their ability. I would say 30-40% of these def dont need a CT.
 
I also learned to drain them. this seems less common now.

After spending a chunk of my career at Level 1 trauma centers.. a lot of transfers are just poeple not wanting to deal with or manage patients. Throw in the morbidly obese needing a CT done but it limits their ability. I would say 30-40% of these def dont need a CT.
I was trained to drain them, as well, although I guess I’m on the tail end of being new school being a PGY-11. It’s so easy though. I literally had one of my med students perform the procedure a few weeks ago.
 
A few cases, these are ED transfers. And just to not pick on APPs, these are all transferred by MDs (not all ED MD).

1. Transfer from FSED. "Blue hands". blue discoloration of hand in the "radial artery distribution." Patient having "a lot of pain". Sent for vascular study and vascular consultation. Seen by triage APP, gets a ABI (normal), gets a CT Angio upper extremity (normal). Roomed, ED doc sees and wipes off the new blue jean dye from the hand with alcohol swab. Pain resolves. We all know these stories, but I guess this patient needed to add psychic pain (but probably didn't deserve the million dollar workup).

2. Transfer from FSED. 40 yo Facial palsy with concern from otitic meningitis? Had left ear discomfort for a few days (given antibiotics for an "otitis media" at an urgent care) then developed left facial palsy of the upper and lower portion of the face. At FSED, received a CT angio head/neck, a CT veno, followed by something called CT auditory canal? (All normal). Receivied IV antibiotics and IV acyclovir (I guess otitis media invading the facial nerve?). Was transferred for MRI, ENT, and neurology.
Patient has a stopover in the ED due to boarding and having no rooms. I see a normal looking dude with bell's palsy. I look in patient's ear. Clear view, completely normal (no otitis, no vesicles, no pain). His exam is typical Bell Palsy. His symptoms of ear pain was common prodrome for Bell Palsy and obviously never had otitis. Since he was slated for inpatient room, I asked him if he really wanted to continue with this current trajectory of testing (he said yes). After a million dollar workup for what looks like bell's palsy, his ultimate diagnosis: bell's palsy. I didn't have the heart to tell him about his incoming bill.

3. At tertiary center. Get a 60 yo Back Pain transfer from a ED an hour away. Transfer documentation requests transfer for neurosurgery evalution, for back pain, bilateral leg numbness. I can see all their notes. 3 visits at their ED in the last week for this. Finally kept for about 12 hours for a MRI which shows your typical more BS for anyone over the age of 40 (mild multilevel degenerative disc disease). APP sees and staffs with me, says neurosurgery consulted. I see nothing on the MRI that would mandate an emergent neurosurgery transfer but sure I go see this patient. I pull his socks off, wtf is his pulses? Feet is cold but it's both feet. Can't palpate, can't doppler, we have ABI available (measures 0 bilateral). He says he hasn't been able to walk for 3 days. Further exam shows late findings of muscular ischemia. I ask if anyone before me has checked his pulses like me (answer: "No").
A neurosurgery PA must have snuck in and ordered MRI of the rest of his spine (since his MRI Lumbar is literally nothing burger) which I cancelled while I was getting his angio and vascular surgery consult coordinated. Obviously his distal aorta was clotted all the way down and no collaterals. Unsalvageable due to very late presentation.
I call the sending ED and "wtf, this patient you sent me has no pulses?". Get a call from their ED medical director (Family medicine) an hour later mad that I'm agitating their staff and insinuating subpar care, "of course I would have checked a pulse if I did a rectal exam.".
Patient refused amputation until very late in their stay and ended up dying afterwards.
A favorite from my trauma center days. Pre transfer diagnosis; Comatose after fall, blown pupil.

Post-transfer diagnosis: drunk with glass eye who fell off barstool. CT negative, metabolized to freedom.
 
I also learned to drain them. this seems less common now.

After spending a chunk of my career at Level 1 trauma centers.. a lot of transfers are just poeple not wanting to deal with or manage patients. Throw in the morbidly obese needing a CT done but it limits their ability. I would say 30-40% of these def dont need a CT.
PGY 28 here who trained at shock trauma. We drained them every day and all day. Did Paracentesis, thoracentesis, and other stuff in the ER then discharged regularly.

Went straight to a community hospital and I was the only one continuing to do symptomatic paracentesis so I stopped. Did what all other ER docs did and let IR do it.

Still did peritonsillar abscess because it is easy, quick, and pts feel better immediately. ENT loved it and gladly followed them up rather than having to come in. I was one of the few who continued to do it and it didn't seem like new grads did them in the ER.
 
I also learned to drain them. this seems less common now.

After spending a chunk of my career at Level 1 trauma centers.. a lot of transfers are just poeple not wanting to deal with or manage patients. Throw in the morbidly obese needing a CT done but it limits their ability. I would say 30-40% of these def dont need a CT.
We drained these and in residency and I drain them in the community. Newer docs and PAs seem to CT these frequently. Occasionally a PA has already done CT and called ENT before telling me and informs me ENT recommended IV abx and steroids and they'll see them on the floor tomorrow.
How about **** that and we just drain it and get them out of here on steroids and abx?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Most of my group don't do PTAs (based on the RNs and APPs seem to get excited when I do them). I've taken signout on them and then just offered the patient's I+D and discharge afterwards.
Some of them don't do diagnostic arthrocentesis (even knees), because I've got transfers-in for those. I did my first diagnostic paracentesis when I first started out, but they my medical director who was working too at the time was like "Why?". Half don't even attempt colles fx reduction
But all the other hand, half the RNs are ultrasound trained even at the FSED, so I'm glad I don't have to deal with ultrasound IV every dialysis or vasculopath.
 
Occasionally a PA has already done CT and called ENT before telling me and informs me ENT recommended IV abx and steroids and they'll see them on the floor tomorrow.
ENT does not want to come into the ER to do a 5 min procedure at night + ER doc not comfortable doing PTA drainage = Admission + 50K bill + 5 min procedure tomorrow.
 
Half don't even attempt colles fx reduction
What? So do they just admit for ortho tomorrow or do they splint/send home/ortho tomorrow in clinic?

Crazy to not reduce the fracture. I did conscious sedation early on in my career until an ortho doc showed me how easy it was to just do a local block. Local block, 15 min procedure, splint then home.
 
Most of my group don't do PTAs (based on the RNs and APPs seem to get excited when I do them). I've taken signout on them and then just offered the patient's I+D and discharge afterwards.
Some of them don't do diagnostic arthrocentesis (even knees), because I've got transfers-in for those. I did my first diagnostic paracentesis when I first started out, but they my medical director who was working too at the time was like "Why?". Half don't even attempt colles fx reduction
But all the other hand, half the RNs are ultrasound trained even at the FSED, so I'm glad I don't have to deal with ultrasound IV every dialysis or vasculopath.
Your medical group doesn't do basic EM procedures?
 
Most of my group don't do PTAs (based on the RNs and APPs seem to get excited when I do them). I've taken signout on them and then just offered the patient's I+D and discharge afterwards.
Some of them don't do diagnostic arthrocentesis (even knees), because I've got transfers-in for those. I did my first diagnostic paracentesis when I first started out, but they my medical director who was working too at the time was like "Why?". Half don't even attempt colles fx reduction
But all the other hand, half the RNs are ultrasound trained even at the FSED, so I'm glad I don't have to deal with ultrasound IV every dialysis or vasculopath.
Wow. The docs in your group sound like incompetent idiots. That or they're lazy to the point of malpractice. I mean, you could try to sugar coat it, but it's one or the other. Lazy and/or incompetent. Either way it's embarrassing.