MD ED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ED at Baylor vs regular admission to all schools including Baylor

• ED

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Regular

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

Passionformed101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances of applying ED to Baylor College of Medicine as an OOS applicant (from New York - public college) and is it actually worth pushing my other applications for this one school? I mean my numbers are competitive, but is it worth the risk? I'm also looking at UPenn and Hopkins so would applying just regular early be better than ED at Baylor?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your numbers are not anywhere strong enough to be applying ED anywhere unless there's something important you haven't told us. A 3.9/31 isn't competitive for Baylor, Hopkins, or Penn as it is in the normal pool. Applying ED to any of them is a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: 1 user
Your numbers are not anywhere strong enough to be applying ED anywhere unless there's something important you haven't told us. A 3.9/31 isn't competitive for Baylor, Hopkins, or Penn as it is in the normal pool. Applying ED to any of them is a recipe for disaster.
512 is a 34 no?

512 is a 34 no?

512 is a 32. 86th-87th percentile. As is, even in the regular pool you would have a hard time being competitive at Baylor. You'll have much more luck with lower tier types and your state programs than these big names like Penn and JHU. If you want reaches, think more Rochester or Einstein types than Penn or JHU or Baylor.

Reactions: 1 users
512 is a 32. 86th-87th percentile. As is, even in the regular pool you would have a hard time being competitive at Baylor. You'll have much more luck with lower tier types and your state programs than these big names like Penn and JHU. If you want reaches, think more Rochester or Einstein types than Penn or JHU or Baylor.
Ah yeah this is why I said I was probably going to retake it since I took it with limited biochem knowledge.. Alright thanks! I'll see what I'm capable of and plan accordingly

Ah yeah this is why I said I was probably going to retake it since I took it with limited biochem knowledge
Be careful about retaking a 512. If you mess up you jeopardize your chances at even low tiers (lower retakes are very bad).

Reactions: 1 user
Ah yeah this is why I said I was probably going to retake it since I took it with limited biochem knowledge.. Alright thanks! I'll see what I'm capable of and plan accordingly

I would only retake if you have a really strong reason to believe you'll do significantly better on the re-take(at least 517+). And by really strong reason an example would be doing far far better on practice tests than you did the first time around.

You gotta realize
a) A good number of schools average multiple MCAT scores from an applicant. And whether a school does or doesn't isn't really that relevant; it will be noted there were multiple MCAT attempts on your record which will factor into a judgment on your app, regardless of whether a school has an official average multiple score policy.
b) Re-taking and doing the same hurts you. Retaking and doing worse definitely hurts you and can start messing with your chances in general.
c) AAMC's site changed so I can't find the official re-take stats but only 1/3 of people or so who re-take a 30-32 get 3+ points better which is what you need. So based off history 2/3 applicants like you honestly probably hurt themselves re-taking.
d) Top schools get enough applicants who hit 35+ on the first attempt they can be picky about applicants who need multiple attempts to get that score(and this is making the big assumption you hit that improvement).
e) Many ADCOMs are not big fans of people re-taking perfectly fine MCAT scores. It telegraphs something to them which is not particularly favorable for an applicant. From what ADCOMs such as gyngyn and Law2Doc have said in the past, there are definitely some ADCOMs and schools who won't really be huge fans of re-taking a 32, even if the re-take score is definitely better.

So all in all I'd be somewhat cautious/careful about a re-take. Doing it just to gun for a top 20 school is not the most rational or wisest of decisions IMO.

Reactions: 2 users
I would only retake if you have a really strong reason to believe you'll do significantly better on the re-take(at least 517+). And by really strong reason an example would be doing far far better on practice tests than you did the first time around.

You gotta realize
a) A good number of schools average multiple MCAT scores from an applicant. And whether a school does or doesn't isn't really that relevant; it will be noted there were multiple MCAT attempts on your record which will factor into a judgment on your app, regardless of whether a school has an official average multiple score policy.
b) Re-taking and doing the same hurts you. Retaking and doing worse definitely hurts you and can start messing with your chances in general.
c) AAMC's site changed so I can't find the official re-take stats but only 1/3 of people or so who re-take a 30-32 get 3+ points better which is what you need. So based off history 2/3 applicants like you honestly probably hurt themselves re-taking.
d) Top schools get enough applicants who hit 35+ on the first attempt they can be picky about applicants who need multiple attempts to get that score(and this is making the big assumption you hit that improvement).
e) Many ADCOMs are not big fans of people re-taking perfectly fine MCAT scores. It telegraphs something to them which is not particularly favorable for an applicant. From what ADCOMs such as gyngyn and Law2Doc have said in the past, there are definitely some ADCOMs and schools who won't really be huge fans of re-taking a 32, even if the re-take score is definitely better.

So all in all I'd be somewhat cautious/careful about a re-take. Doing it just to gun for a top 20 school is not the most rational or wisest of decisions IMO.
I'll definitely keep that in mind. Thank you for the honest reply I really needed that!