ED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kgamon8

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
No diversity

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I feel like most med schools are 80% white (or overepresented race). As for diversity in your circle just make sure to befriend the (maybe few?) people of diverse racial, socioeconomic backgrounds.

Regarding your state, even the smallest ones have dozens of thousands residents, most have multiple millions.

I don’t want to belittle your regrets at all. But keep in mind that there are strong applicants refreshing their emails to see what the final verdict from their one interview is and making contingency plans for an unexpected gap year. You’re going to be a doctor (at what seems to be a favorable rate) and just make sure you surround yourself with the people you want to be around. Med school isn’t forever. Just makes sure you don’t make any mistakes you think you made regarding location when it’s time for residency apps. You got this.

Reactions: 1 user
Should have thought about all of this before. Maybe you should call the school and decline the acceptance. Give it to someone who wants to be there.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You know you're not going to like your future classmates just by looking at them?

Reactions: 2 users
If your school is attached to a university consider joining some diversity clubs outside of the medical school.

Bruh I wish I was you right now with an acceptance, take what you got

SDN, always finding the negative in the positive. Never change.

I am extremely grateful to have been accepted to a medical school through early decision. I have average stats and didn’t want to go through the agony of waiting, so I applied early. I just keep kind of regretting it because I don’t like my home state much at all. After four years at a state undergrad I wanted to leave. My undergrad at least had more diversity than the med school which is 80% white. Most of my friends are leaving the state after graduation.

On the other hand I will have cheaper tuition and the school is great. I really love the school it’s just the diversity and location that bring me down. Has anyone else experienced these thoughts (but hopefully gone on to have a good experience?)
If something this trival is giving you second doubts, I suggest that you give up your acceptance to someone who really wants to be a doctor.

Reactions: 3 users
I kinda sympathize with OP. As a URM in pretty much anything science related who experienced being the only POC in several classes from high school til now it is annoying and difficult not having people with similar background in school.

But surely you already knew this going into medical school. I am prepared to be one of the 10 URM in a class full of over 100. This is not something to be shocked about given the current state we are in. I been able to make friends in college even if it was not within my major. I would use this as motivation to participate in outreach programs to encourage URMs to do well in high school and college and get them to apply to medical school.

I feel like most med schools are 80% white (or overepresented race). As for diversity in your circle just make sure to befriend the (maybe few?) people of diverse racial, socioeconomic backgrounds.

Regarding your state, even the smallest ones have dozens of thousands residents, most have multiple millions.

I don’t want to belittle your regrets at all. But keep in mind that there are strong applicants refreshing their emails to see what the final verdict from their one interview is and making contingency plans for an unexpected gap year. You’re going to be a doctor (at what seems to be a favorable rate) and just make sure you surround yourself with the people you want to be around. Med school isn’t forever. Just makes sure you don’t make any mistakes you think you made regarding location when it’s time for residency apps. You got this.

*Proportionately represented

Status
Not open for further replies.