Editorial on MD vs DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This was the reply that I sent to the editor:

I have to commend you on your article and the points you raise. If there is a problem between the two, as you say, then it should be brought to the attention of the public in order to find a solution. There are certain points in which I disagree.

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. I do not doubt your credentials, nor do I fault you for stating your opinion. I feel that the article is a severe generalization/stereotype, and the slanderous replies by fellow osteopaths help to perpetuate the main theme of the article. Formalities aside, I feel that you may have made a generalization on the profession as a whole based on personal experiences within one medical school in which you were associated. To claim that an entire medical profession is substandard based on the anecdotes that you mention is similar to segregating an entire race due to crime statistics. Clearly, history has proven that this line of thinking is obtuse. The story in which you relate a room full of sorrow around an embarrassed osteopathic medical student makes me think that you feel that the student opinion is the right one, simply because they all reacted similarly. To this, I must point out that public opinion is not always the correct one just because the majority feels as such. To further illustrate my example, I will relate that during World War II the majority of Germany felt that the Jews should be eradicated from the earth. Even though the majority felt that way, it clearly was wrong.

I also find it rather disheartening that you fault a medical student for feeling pride in their profession (the ‘bumper sticker' story). Do you feel that one's pride in their profession is an error that must be remedied? Perhaps the bumper sticker is an attempt to educate the public that a DO is a doctor, rather than to hide insecurities (which I feel your article may have heightened). Osteopathic medical students are medical students that are proud of the fact that they are living out their dreams of helping others. They reflect this pride in their work, their educating of the masses, and through their advertisements. To display pride in their accomplishments is not an effort to dissuade others of their supposed inferiority, but rather a declaration of their eagerness to help a society that sometimes deems them inferior. It does not help in any way to smother out the passion that they carry for medicine.

In regards to manipulative therapy (or lack thereof), it simply cannot be discounted because it isn't as widespread. Many osteopaths who specialize simply cannot perform manipulation due to their choice of specialty. The fact remains that there are MD's who seek out manipulative therapy as a means for treatment. Just because it isn't as popular doesn't lessen the effectiveness. There may be a small number practicing, but there IS a number practicing, and it should not be discounted. I find that much of your article (although not all) is based on the assumption that popular opinion is the correct one. As proven before, this cannot be the case.

Osteopathic medicine is full of eager, willing, and intelligent students who are qualified by state and national exams. Many of the students feel that an osteopathic medicine is a fulfilling and rewarding career, and many osteopathic physicians are more than qualified to practice medicine as they see fit. There are osteopathic medical schools with higher admission standards with respect to GPA and MCAT averages than some allopathic schools, and the passing rate of such osteopathic schools is higher than their allopathic counterparts. Admissions standards and passing rates are also higher than many foreign medical schools. Since the purpose of the article is to claim that there is a superior medical degree, then you should reconsider your argument to include foreign medical graduates and schools with lower passing rates. The fact that there are deviations to the norm weakens your point, and should not be overlooked.

Thank you very much for taking the time to consider my response.

A few of this person's claims set me off. First, he is a licensed professional and you would think he would have more sense than to make some of the claims that he does. I was especially offended by his idea that osteopathic medical students aren't as bright as MD students and couldn't handle the material presented by an allopathic school. This man has taught at only two of the osteopathic schools, which hardly qualifies him to make statements about the quality (or lack thereof) of osteopathic students. I couldn't believe that he is helping to perpetuate the rumor that most DO students are students that couldn't get into MD school. I was offered interviews at allopathic schools after I got accepted to LECOM, but I didn't attend them because I had gotten accepted to the school I wanted to go to! I also disagree with his criticism of osteopathic medical schools and the lack of research. Osteopathic medical schools all state that research is not one of their main concerns. This is a difference between osteopathic and allopathic schools that one must accept. I disagree that osteopathic faculty are less qualified than their allopathic school counterparts.
In general, I suppose the whole editorial really set me off... :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this how the rest of the medical field feels about DOs??????? This guy is full of HorseSh*T!!!!

from the artical
From a D.O. who was very excited by the editorial and its author. Why do you hate osteopaths that much? I guess you are so insecure and narrow minded. I even doubt it if you were really a medical school professor as you claim. You are a damn ass who cannot tell the difference between a hole in the ground and his own ass. You are a SCUM!
[/LIST]

I think that guy gave the good repond :D
I apologize for his language ;)

;)

After reading the artical a second time,I found that it sounded like the writer had a hidden agenda and approached the topic with a subjective viewpoit rather than an objective one. Evidence of this bias view point is in his bumper sticker anecdote...
Funny that I never saw a bumper sticker which read, "MD Stands for More Doctor".
How can this man give an actual status of Osteopathic Schools versus Allopathic Schools when he is already favoring a side as being better or "more" than the other??

Any way, thats the most writing i've done all summer, man am i drained, i need a nap..lol :D

One more thing, could someone please move this topic to the Everyone Board, because i think this is a topic that should be viewed by all of the members of SDN, thank you

I read that article a while ago. From what I recall, the author was VERY biased.

Together

Originally posted by together:
•I read that article a while ago. From what I recall, the author was VERY biased.

Together•

I used to think that doctors were some of the smartest people in society (they still are), but now I realize that even in the medical profession there are quacks. Any doc who thinks his profession, or that he is better than anyone else is a quack. I'm sure there are tons of DO's who are better than him. Perhaps he got beaten out for his residency by a DO, or his son is a DO- I don't know the habits of this guy. if this guy would discriminate against DO's then I wodner how he feels towards real minorities in society who are not physicians. It's doctors like those that make me sick (pun intended). I wouldn't let him take a wart off my buttocks.

One of my own friends was influenced by this guy's article, and now believes that Osteopaths are mail-order doctors who are inferiror to MD's and are just above the level of a nurse, and equal to that of a chiropractor. I think he read the article off of quackwatch.com or some garbage website. That quackwatch doc replied to the editor on that site, he's a quack himself. I wouldn't even let him take a wart off my buttocks either... :(

That editorial has been around for a long time. The writer is a PhD physiologist who used to teach at UNTHSC-TCOM. He left the institution on bad terms and was alienated by upper administration. The article lacked accuracy when he wrote it and is even less accurate today.

I wonder if he still feels TCOM is 2nd rate today when it's matriculants MCAT/GPA rivals the MD public schools in Texas, the institution recruited as its president the highest-ranking military surgeon general (who happens to be a D.O.) in history, and to top it off was recently chosen as the next biotechnology academic incubator site (beating out other prominent north Texas institutions) in Texas. Not bad for a second rate institution, not bad at all.

You can't really get upset at others when they voice their opinions.

The sad truth about our society is that people are very easily influenced by someone who backs up their arguments with facts, or in this case, supposed facts.

Also, as soon as a title or degree is attached to someone's name, their words gain that much more respect.

I wouldn't put much stock in this particular article. I read it, and will probably read it again.

I, myself, am hoping to gain admission to an Osteopathic school...does this article upset me? Not really. It dissapoints me, actually that there are so many ignorant people in this world who gain joy out of this kind of "entertainment".

Who do I think wrote this article? A few possibilities.

Medical school reject (both MD and DO)
Bitter DO school flunk-out or drop-out
Bitter MD student who got passed over in a residency match

Don't waste too much time worrying about people like this.

my response to the editor:

"dear editor:

the following provided reference is in response to a rather coarse assessment of the differences between allopathic and osteopathic medical schools in the united states documented in the internet website, "http://personal.bellsouth.net/mem/k/e/keep/editorial2.html".

the title of the document appearing on the above link is, "allopathic (m.d.) vs. osteopathic (d.o.) medical schools. views of a basic scientist with experience in both."

i'd like to direct you to a recently published article in the july, 2001 issue of the Journal of the American Osteopathic Association (j.a.o.a.)--volume 101, number 7. the title of the article providing evidence of the suitability of osteopathic medical doctors compared to other health professionals (including allopathic doctors) is, "characteristics, satisfaction, and perceptions of patients receiving ambulatory healthcare from osteopathic physicians: a comparative national survey."

there has been a significant amount of discussion prompted by the article on your website; and i'd like you to read, and list the JAOA survey as evidence of the bigotry of the basic scientist responsible for trying to insult the osteopathic profession, and making his unwarranted criticism public for many years.

thank you.

...nycom-ms2...

Do you have a citation for the JAOA survey that you mentioned on medical bigotry? Please post, I would like to read it. I found the article most disturbing, especially the writer's wholesale slander of the majority of osteopathic medical students as being intellectually inferior to allopathic students.

"The most effective kind of lies are those which are integrated with truth and praise."

I think the author of this article did an excellent job of sugar-coating the misconceptions put forth regarding osteopathic training and institutions. It's hard for me to realize that this guy is suppossed to be a scientist. He shoulda been a politician.

Wow, that was a longer article than I expected. There were a lot of good responses to it too. Although I believe the article was biased when written, I feel there were a couple valid points to it. Not all of it was demeaning....I thought there were a lot of truths to it. Especially about the upper administration at DO schools. I know you guys know that there are people at your med school who you can't believe how they got in. This is true at every med school DO or MD. He does state that the top students of both med schools are equal and I agree. I can't speak for all schools but I know at my school there is a big tail at the bottom of the class and there can be several logical reasons for this. Some people have families, spouses, children and don't have time to study night and day. Some people like to enjoy their hobbies and extracurriculars outside of medicine. Some people don't feel the need to ace every exam...what's the difference between a 85 and 90..two more questions right? Big deal. Some people just want to pass and be a doctor and not a neurosurgeon. Maybe there aren't as many anal retentive gunners as there are in MD schools. Whatever the case, his point on that is pretty close at my school and that's just what I see. Like I said, the truth sometimes hurts, but who cares. The grass is always greener on the other side. That's just life. Its just too bad that a lot of people who don't know enough about the two professions can't read between the lines and pick out whats true and whats not.

THE HORSE IS DEAD... Let's kick it some more.