EDP Clarification?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amatt1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you apply EDP to a particular school, do you have to wait on a decision from that school to apply to other schools? Or, can you apply to other schools (regular applicant pool) knowing that if your EDP school offers, you'll accept? I want to apply to a particular program EDP next year, but I'm worried that if not accepted, I'll be extremely late applying to other schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Of course you can't apply to other schools while you're waiting for a decision EDP. If that was the case, everyone and their brother would apply EDP to their dream school just for the heck of it.

If you don't get accepted to your EDP program, you will be applying late. This is why many people choose not to go that route because it's an all or none proposition. Good luck in your decision.

Amatt1 said:
If you apply EDP to a particular school, do you have to wait on a decision from that school to apply to other schools? Or, can you apply to other schools (regular applicant pool) knowing that if your EDP school offers, you'll accept? I want to apply to a particular program EDP next year, but I'm worried that if not accepted, I'll be extremely late applying to other schools.

I can tell you firsthand because I did apply ED to UPenn this year (I am on their waitlist now). You must wait until a decision has been made on your application by your EDP before you can apply to any other schools. The AAMC gives the school until Oct. 1st at the latest to notify applicants of its decision, but most schools try to tell you earlier than that. If you apply ED, you have to have taken the MCAT before the August of your application year and you have to have everything in (transcripts and all) by Aug. 1st if I am not mistaken (may be a bit earlier). If you have any more questions, please feel free to PM me. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been thinking of applying EDP to my state school. Does anyone know any statistics on how many people generally apply EDP, and what the odds of acceptance are going that route? My state school is hands down where I want to be both because I love the school, and it's best for me financially, as well as close to my fiance. Any advice?

MG Md 2B said:
I've been thinking of applying EDP to my state school. Does anyone know any statistics on how many people generally apply EDP, and what the odds of acceptance are going that route? My state school is hands down where I want to be both because I love the school, and it's best for me financially, as well as close to my fiance. Any advice?

You need to apply EDP then. For people who want to go to their state school, and I recommend this route, applying EDP is the way to go. Much better chance of being accepted, and you don't have to deal with all the BS that is applying(1 application, 1 interview, spend a few hundred dollars total)