Education major wanting to become a DO!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctortobee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!!

I just found this board!!!

I am a junior education major with a stong desire to become a DO.

A little about myself:
-3.9 GPA
-Special Olympics volunteer coach and unified partner
-Member of Alpha Lambda Delta and Kappa Delta Pi honor societies
-I have a stong tendency to go after whatever I want and not stop until I get it.

Currently I am am shadowing my Orthopedic Surgeon who is a DO. He is also a clinical faculty member at OUCOM. It has been an absolutely amazing experience. I even was allowed to go into surgery with him!!!

There are several reasons why I want to become a DO. First of all, I wholeheartly believe in it's principles. Since shadowing my DO, I have found that DO's take a more personable approach to medicine. I stongly believe that doctors need to treat the person first and the disease second.

Anyway, here is my situation. I have 3 more semesters left to finish my BS degree. I plan to enroll as a Post-Baculaurate to obtain my prerequisite courses to apply to med school.

Any advice??

Members don't see this ad.

If this is what you want to do then go for it. I would just recomend you spend as much time as you can with a DO. I found it to be a very rewarding experience and helped to remind me during the less exciting kinds of undergrad work why I was there. Good Luck!!

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

Sorry, the fingers were not working when I was typing...I meant "wholeheartedly"

Members don't see this ad :)
Why don't you try to take some of the pre-recs now?!

I would love to take some of the prerequisites next semester, but I student teach and all the classes I need are in the morning. I'm taking a few this summer...