SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Education major wanting to become a DO!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Doctortobee, Nov 25, 1999.

1. Doctortobee

Doctortobee Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 24, 1999
    ?
    Hi!!

I just found this board!!!

I am a junior education major with a stong desire to become a DO.

A little about myself:
    -3.9 GPA
    -Special Olympics volunteer coach and unified partner
    -Member of Alpha Lambda Delta and Kappa Delta Pi honor societies
    -I have a stong tendency to go after whatever I want and not stop until I get it.

Currently I am am shadowing my Orthopedic Surgeon who is a DO. He is also a clinical faculty member at OUCOM. It has been an absolutely amazing experience. I even was allowed to go into surgery with him!!!

There are several reasons why I want to become a DO. First of all, I wholeheartly believe in it's principles. Since shadowing my DO, I have found that DO's take a more personable approach to medicine. I stongly believe that doctors need to treat the person first and the disease second.

Anyway, here is my situation. I have 3 more semesters left to finish my BS degree. I plan to enroll as a Post-Baculaurate to obtain my prerequisite courses to apply to med school.

Any advice??

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Hskermdic

Hskermdic Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 17, 1998
    Kansas
    If this is what you want to do then go for it. I would just recomend you spend as much time as you can with a DO. I found it to be a very rewarding experience and helped to remind me during the less exciting kinds of undergrad work why I was there. Good Luck!!

------------------
    Carrie
    KCOM '03

4. Doctortobee

Nov 24, 1999
    ?
    Sorry, the fingers were not working when I was typing...I meant "wholeheartedly"

5. UHS2002

UHS2002 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 11, 1999
    Why don't you try to take some of the pre-recs now?!

6. Doctortobee

Nov 24, 1999
    ?
    I would love to take some of the prerequisites next semester, but I student teach and all the classes I need are in the morning. I'm taking a few this summer...