Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Education major wanting to become a DO!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Doctortobee, Nov 25, 1999.

1. Doctortobee

Doctortobee Senior Member

Hi!!

I just found this board!!!

I am a junior education major with a stong desire to become a DO.

A little about myself:
    -3.9 GPA
    -Special Olympics volunteer coach and unified partner
    -Member of Alpha Lambda Delta and Kappa Delta Pi honor societies
    -I have a stong tendency to go after whatever I want and not stop until I get it.

Currently I am am shadowing my Orthopedic Surgeon who is a DO. He is also a clinical faculty member at OUCOM. It has been an absolutely amazing experience. I even was allowed to go into surgery with him!!!

There are several reasons why I want to become a DO. First of all, I wholeheartly believe in it's principles. Since shadowing my DO, I have found that DO's take a more personable approach to medicine. I stongly believe that doctors need to treat the person first and the disease second.

Anyway, here is my situation. I have 3 more semesters left to finish my BS degree. I plan to enroll as a Post-Baculaurate to obtain my prerequisite courses to apply to med school.

Any advice??

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Hskermdic

Hskermdic Senior Member

If this is what you want to do then go for it. I would just recomend you spend as much time as you can with a DO. I found it to be a very rewarding experience and helped to remind me during the less exciting kinds of undergrad work why I was there. Good Luck!!

------------------
    Carrie
    KCOM '03

4. Doctortobee

Sorry, the fingers were not working when I was typing...I meant "wholeheartedly"

5. UHS2002

UHS2002 Senior Member

Why don't you try to take some of the pre-recs now?!

6. Doctortobee

I would love to take some of the prerequisites next semester, but I student teach and all the classes I need are in the morning. I'm taking a few this summer...