This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lialalala

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in cardiothoracic / pediatric surgeons, which would start with general surgery residencies.
I saw many threads saying DO have to work "harder" to be in ortho or dermatology. But I haven't seen comments about my fields of interest.
I know nothing is impossible, but how hard is it to become a surgeon as a DO, compared to MD?
Is it more "possible" to be general surgeons compared to ortho or dermatologists?

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in cardiothoracic / pediatric surgeons, which would start with general surgery residencies.
I saw many threads saying DO have to work "harder" to be in ortho or dermatology. But I haven't seen comments about my fields of interest.
I know nothing is impossible, but how hard is it to become a surgeon as a DO, compared to MD?
Is it more "possible" to be general surgeons compared to ortho or dermatologists?
Yes, it's possible but still harder, but not impossible for general surgery.

Chances will be best with former AOA residencies and/or those at community hospitals.

Read this and look specifically at p. 149

Reactions: 1 user

I have an entire AMA on the subject. It’s harder as a DO but not impossible, and not to derm or ortho level. Matching WELL is a bit of a different story.

Having said that your chances at pediatric surgery are minuscule. CT is much more reasonable.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have an entire AMA on the subject. It’s harder as a DO but not impossible, and not to derm or ortho level. Matching WELL is a bit of a different story.

Having said that your chances at pediatric surgery are minuscule. CT is much more reasonable.
Agree with this^^^^.Pediatric surgery I would say is comparable to plastics. Looks like less than 50 spots nationwide if I read this correctly. I have a student I wrote a LOR for my former school and she is finishing up CT surgery at a very good university affiliate. You have to make yourself a good applicant. Good luck and best wishes!
1645751578593.png

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with this^^^^.Pediatric surgery I would say is comparable to plastics. Looks like less than 50 spots nationwide if I read this correctly. I have a student I wrote a LOR for my former school and she is finishing up CT surgery at a very good university affiliate. You have to make yourself a good applicant. Good luck and best wishes! View attachment 350795
This. Pediatric surgery is quietly the most competitive specialty in medicine, perhaps even moreso than integrated plastics. Every person who applies is beyond stellar. High quality research with multiple dedicated research years, excellent in service exam scores, stellar letters from their well known PDs and Department Chairs (many applicants come from ivory tower institutions), etc. Its an extremely self selected applicant pool, and even then you see the numbers above.

Even most academic surgery residencies struggle placing people in peds fellowships. Most fellows come from a prestigious residency, or at minimum a residency with an associated fellowship to help build a connection network.

Reactions: 3 users
This. Pediatric surgery is quietly the most competitive specialty in medicine, perhaps even moreso than integrated plastics. Every person who applies is beyond stellar. High quality research with multiple dedicated research years, excellent in service exam scores, stellar letters from their well known PDs and Department Chairs (many applicants come from ivory tower institutions), etc. Its an extremely self selected applicant pool, and even then you see the numbers above.

Even most academic surgery residencies struggle placing people in peds fellowships. Most fellows come from a prestigious residency, or at minimum a residency with an associated fellowship to help build a connection network.
There is like 45 spots or something, there are only a handful(<10?) DO pediatric surgeons in the entire country I think. Prbly on a few hudred(600-700) total pediatric surgeons overall. Very tough to match even from a decent university program. Its essentially a pipe dream, but CT surgery is much much more doable.

Reactions: 1 users