EDV in Diastolic Heart failure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tasar1898

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone , i dont know if this is a stupid question but its driving me crazy!! IF LVEDV is the volume of blood contained at LV at the end of diastole , and diastolic dysfunction = problem with filling , how is it possible for EDV to be normal in diastolic dysfunction ??

From my understanding EDV should be low and thats what i read on the Kaplan phys book , but in First Aid it says edv is normal..
I would really appreciate some help , thanks a lot..

Members don't see this ad.

I had the exact same issue with kaplan explanations, but its more like the walls are rigid because of hypertrophy... not that there is less room for blood to enter. So its like a balloon holds 1oo ml and a plastic cup holds 100 ml, which one would need more pressure to squeeze the water out? Which essentially equates to high ventricular pressure but normal EDV...

Hope that helps, but I'm a weird learner sooooo wouldn't be the first time i made things worse for people.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh , I see .. So it's like Low compliance --> High EDP to fill/pump the same EDV --> High pressures over time create even more concentric hypertrophy to normalize wall tension ---> Eventual actual drop in EDV and CO ( Decompensation ) --> Death ??