Edward Via - Virginia Campus (VCOM-VC) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would you be willing to PM me the essay or just post it on here?
Describe the top three reasons you have chosen osteopathic medicine as your professional choice in becoming a physician (Please use your own description and not one that widely describes the profession).

Professionalism and the ability to gain respect in the community in which you live is of utmost importance as you embark upon a career as a physician. What three professional qualities do you feel a Student Doctor must be able to demonstrate as he/or she makes the transition into the study and practice of medicine. How will you demonstrate those qualities as a medical student at VCOM?

Please describe a volunteer or service activity that played a large part in your decision to become a physician

In the event you submitted an application to VCOM last year, what improvements have you made to your application?

If you have not completed all the prerequisite coursework, please state how you intend on completing it prior to matriculation.
 
Describe the top three reasons you have chosen osteopathic medicine as your professional choice in becoming a physician (Please use your own description and not one that widely describes the profession).

Professionalism and the ability to gain respect in the community in which you live is of utmost importance as you embark upon a career as a physician. What three professional qualities do you feel a Student Doctor must be able to demonstrate as he/or she makes the transition into the study and practice of medicine. How will you demonstrate those qualities as a medical student at VCOM?

Please describe a volunteer or service activity that played a large part in your decision to become a physician

In the event you submitted an application to VCOM last year, what improvements have you made to your application?

If you have not completed all the prerequisite coursework, please state how you intend on completing it prior to matriculation.


Thank you so much!
 
On the secondary it asks to list any work or volunteer experience that I did not list on my primary AACOMAS app. Well I literally just submitted my primary a month ago and have not done anything really since. Plus, I think I listed all relevant activities on my primary. What are they looking for here?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
may or may not be a silly question, but just want to make sure. I am assuming that the last 2 questions go unanswered if you are NOT a re-applicant or the prerequisite coursework is complete. Is this correct?
 
Got the secondary today! My D.O. mentor graduated from this school. Very excited. I wish I could get into the same school like him!
 
may or may not be a silly question, but just want to make sure. I am assuming that the last 2 questions go unanswered if you are NOT a re-applicant or the prerequisite coursework is complete. Is this correct?
i would assume that's correct. that's what i did at least..
 
Hey All! I received the secondary yesterday but haven't been able to login. Anyone else having this issue?
 
Hey All! I received the secondary yesterday but haven't been able to login. Anyone else having this issue?

Same here. The email does say to allow for a 48 hour processing time to allow their system to update. I'm going to wait a couple days (while frequently checking the portal) before panicking and calling the admissions office. 😉
 
Thank you all for your replies!! Patience is definitely something I am working on...🙂

Vanbennj: I was verified 6/17 as well. However, my "official mcat scores" weren't posted until 6/29.
Has your official mcat scores been posted? maybe this is why you haven't heard from them yet?

I had my mcat scores sent 5/2 and they never were posted. So I had them resent first week of June.
 
Thank you all for your replies!! Patience is definitely something I am working on...🙂

Vanbennj: I was verified 6/17 as well. However, my "official mcat scores" weren't posted until 6/29.
Has your official mcat scores been posted? maybe this is why you haven't heard from them yet?

I had my mcat scores sent 5/2 and they never were posted. So I had them resent first week of June.
My official MCAT scores are posted. I did have a system issue when trying to view the pdf file for each school but that was resolved the evening of 6/18. I'm still waiting to hear from several other schools as well.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If we don't know certain areas of the LOR information such as address or college, should we leave them blank?
 
Is anyone else having issues paying for their secondary? My card has been rejected multiple times in paypal and now I'm not getting a link to paypal when I submit my secondary. Usually I get an error message stating that I'm exceeding my privileges or something.
 
I find it weird that VCOM is the only school where the secondary wants to know if you have a speeding ticket? "Have you ever been charged with a speeding ticket, misdemeanor, felony, summary charge, or any other criminal charge..." Those all do not seem to be on the same level of severity haha.
 
I find it weird that VCOM is the only school where the secondary wants to know if you have a speeding ticket? "Have you ever been charged with a speeding ticket, misdemeanor, felony, summary charge, or any other criminal charge..." Those all do not seem to be on the same level of severity haha.
yeah seriously..don't understand that either
 
Hey guys in regards to this question:

"Have you ever been charged with a speeding ticket, misdemeanor, felony, summary charge, or any other criminal charge (whether or not you were convicted or even if you were told it was expunged as these will often show up on the background check)? If yes, specify if you were or were not convicted of the charge. If you were not convicted, list what the status of the charge is. This includes traffic violations but excludes parking violations.

If yes, please explain and specify if you were or were not convicted."

If I got a speeding ticket 2 years ago and had it reduced to like 5 over does that still mean I was convicted? lol. I also got a speeding ticket just this summer but my court date is not for another month..

Thanks for any help/suggestions!
 
What if I got a speeding ticket and only had to pay a fine and not even a date in court? Why does it even matter that I got a speeding ticket? #questions
 
Also...why do they want to know the address my osteopathic recommender? Seems kind of weird to ask him "yeah ima need ur address for my application" haha. Could i just put the address of the practice he works at?
 
��[BULLET]��[BULLET]

^ this keeps appearing in my essay text box only after saving my application. has this happen to anyone else?
 
��[BULLET]��[BULLET]

^ this keeps appearing in my essay text box only after saving my application. has this happen to anyone else?
Yeah, those characters appear for apostrophes when you copy and paste. When you copy and paste into the designated box, just delete those characters and insert the apostrophes again directly in the box.
 
I got a camera enforced speeding ticket that equals to parking violations, because it does not go on the record. Should I still put it?
 
"Describe the top three reasons you have chosen osteopathic medicine as your professional choice in becoming a physician (Please use your own description and not one that widely describes the profession)."

When they say use own description what do they mean by that exactly?
 
Please describe a volunteer or service activity that played a large part in your decision to become a physician

I have mentioned it in my PS. Should I repeat? 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
��[BULLET]��[BULLET]

^ this keeps appearing in my essay text box only after saving my application. has this happen to anyone else?
Happened to me in place of an apostrophe. I just erased it and put the apostrophe back in and never had that issue again.
 
"Describe the top three reasons you have chosen osteopathic medicine as your professional choice in becoming a physician (Please use your own description and not one that widely describes the profession)."

When they say use own description what do they mean by that exactly?
Don't just write the common things you see on Wikipedia when you Google osteopathic medicine. They want your own personal thoughts.
 
"Describe the top three reasons you have chosen osteopathic medicine as your professional choice in becoming a physician (Please use your own description and not one that widely describes the profession)."

When they say use own description what do they mean by that exactly?

Maybe they just mean to use your own words? Without using the generic description which can be found everywhere?
 
Just submitted my secondary. it says

Validation passed: Yes
Submission date: 2015-07-08

on the right side of my screen. however, the submit button still appears at the bottom of the page. is anyone seeing the same as I?