Effects on Rate constant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kstar007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why doesn't volume have an effect on the rate constant. If pressure has an effect, I would think that volume also has an effect?

Members don't see this ad.

Why doesn't volume have an effect on the rate constant. If pressure has an effect, I would think that volume also has an effect?

Increasing pressure and concentration does indeed influence REACTION RATE, but NOT the rate constant , k. Do not confuse the terms up. The Arrhenius equation is an equation that relates this constant to parameters such as activation energy, solvents, temperature, spatial orientation and catalysis. If you see the rate equation for the Arrhenius equation: k=Ae−Ea/(RT) you can see that the rate constant increases for an increase in temperature (and as activation energy increases, the rate constant decreases. The bottom line here is that concentration never changes the rate constant, and pressure normally does not either. For the DAT exam, this is critical when given a set of data from experiments. From this data, you need to be able to do 3 things..1. Write the rate law 2. Calculate k value..3. Using the SAME k value, calculate the new rate ate different concentrations. I have problems like this in DESTROYER.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Romano