Einstein vs Colorado MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inositol123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All, I need some advice. I’m a URM from CA, interested in immunology, and looking to stay in academic medicine in the future. Not sure about my clinical interests yet (maybe Peds or IM), but location means a lot to me and would rather choose a place I could be most happy. I chose Einstein’s MSTP from a few other acceptances, but then got accepted to Colorado MSTP off the waitlist (my other top choice). I could use some advice!

Einstein
Pros:
  • Curriculum that eliminates the redundancies of medical school with a MSTP specific classes
  • Subsidized housing on campus
  • Higher stipend (35k compared to 29-30 at other schools)
  • Incoming classes are generally pretty close mostly because they take classes together and live in the same building ( not sure if this interferes with getting to know MD incoming class )
  • Like having access to the city
  • Cool incoming students at revisit
  • Diverse! Also strong commitment to giving back to the prominent Latino community and underserved, which I am passionate about
Cons:
  • not that shiny of a campus/old faculties
  • Immunology faculty are strong, but mainly infectious disease related
  • Not much going on in the surrounding area
  • Not sure if it’s the best place for specializing ?
  • Wasn’t super impressed during the interview and revisit. Don’t know how much to take this into account. However, I really liked some of the students I had the revisit with who I know are now committed to going there

Colorado
Pros
  • Strong immunology faculty at Anschutz and National Jewish, with a focus more on basic immunology
  • Keystone Conference planning
  • Longitudinal clinical experience with PhD mentor
  • Current students were really cool and laid back, but felt most were the outdoorsy type; was impressed on interview
  • Nature, mountains, etc!
  • Many match in CA
Cons
  • Denver isn’t NY
  • Short step study time
  • Feel like the structure of the curriculum doesn’t eliminate redundancies of getting both degrees
  • A lot more graduate courses for Immunology phd program
  • Probably need to drive to school
  • Not as diverse
Any advice would help a ton! Both institutions are similarly ranked and have great match lists. I care about location because after living in the Midwest for a bit, I miss living in a big, more diverse city. I also love hiking and being outdoors though (which I may not get in NYC). These both would be great places to go and I keep going back and forth, so any help would be awesome.

THX :)

Members don't see this ad.

Both are really good choices. I think it comes down to this: where do you want to match? If it's CA, you might have a slight edge at Colorado. If it's NYC, Einstein would be the clear choice.

As I type this from beautiful Denver, colorado...You are right. Denver is no New York mf City.

Reactions: 1 users