Einstein vs. Hofstra (Zucker)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Martin van Nostrand

My contention? Well yes, that's my contention.
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
A bit about me: I am a 20-something-year-old who is hoping to keep their options open in terms of residency but strongly interested in surgical sub-specialties, esp neurosurgery. For this reason, I would imagine the strength of clinical experience and research that I receive during medical school would be very important. I have moderately strong ties to NYC, which both schools are in/very close to. I would not mind staying in NYC for residency, and if not, I would like to go to California, although I am really not all too picky and would generally like to go to a strong residency program regardless of location. Things that are personally important to me are going to the gym, reading, meditating, sleeping well, and being able to cook. Professionally I am interested in going into academic medicine and specifically a surgical sub-specialty as I mentioned above, although I am fully aware that this may and likely will change during my time in medical school.

Einstein:
COA: ~$69,400/year ($17,500/yr scholarship)

(+) Research-intensive medical school, Require a scholarly project and support year-out research
(+) Patient population
(+) Higher (?) ranking (according to US News/PD)
(+) More established reputation/history esp in NYC
(+) Incredible clinical experience
(+) In New York City
(+) Great/affordable student housing
(+) Relationship with Montefiore
(+) Stronger (?) match
(+) Two clinical sites (Weiller Hospital and Jacobi) right on campus
(+) Research site right on campus
(+) Seems to really care about their students, Responsive to student feedback
(+) The alumni network is amazing
(+) Newly renovated fitness center

(-) Recently renovated curriculum, Maybe a positive overall but also may have bumps as first class with the new curriculum
(-) Anatomy lab is moving to prosection only, Might save time but lack dissection experience
(-) Overall a bit more expensive
(-) Larger class size, Could also be a positive
(-) Lower neurosurgery rankings (?), (Early I know but I am strongly interested in Neurosurg)

Hofstra/Northwell (Zucker):
COA: ~$57,400/year ($35,000/yr scholarship)

(+) Relationship with Northwell Health
(+) Strength of Northwell in Neurosurg and other surgical sub-specialties
(+) Great research within Northwell and also partnership with Cold Spring Harbor Lab
(+) Rapidly rising reputation, esp in the Northeast
(+) Strong match list
(+) Group-based/self-driven PBL curriculum
(+) ICE curriculum (Initial Clinical Experience where students have longitudinal clinical experience weekly)
(+) Smaller class size
(+) Really enjoyed my interview day, Physicians seem very happy to be at Northwell
(+) True anatomy lab, Dissection not protection
(+) Center for Innovation and Learning looks amazing
(+) Great fitness center on campus

(-) Newer/less established school
(-) Lower (?) ranking (according to US News/PD)
(-) Mandatory classes
(-) Would need to get a car
(-) No clinical sites on campus
(-) No research site on campus
(-) Outside of NYC, but a close drive

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Einstein > Hofstra imo. I would choose Einstein as a way to keep more doors open... not that Hofstra would close doors, but Einstein would make it easier bc of its reputation.

Reactions: 1 users
I would pick Einstein here. It has a stronger national reputation, more research resources, pumps out grads into strong residencies throughout the country every year, and students overall seem to really like it. I don't think the cost difference is so massive here and it'd be worth it to pay the premium. Hofstra is solid and their in-house neurosurgery residency is strong - so if you do decide Hofstra, I'm sure you'll have no problem exploring your interest and getting on research.

Hard to compare match lists for Neurosurgery because there is such a huge student selection bias and it's a small field. You can compare the match lists kind of superficially I suppose

Einstein: Match Results 2020 | M.D. Admissions | Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Hofstra: You'll have to search the threads.

Einstein has plenty of NSGY matches over the last 10 years. With Hofstra it's a bit hard to draw a conclusion yet because it's so new, but there are a couple so far. So I think you can get there from both places. Also keep in mind your view might change on what you want to do in medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
That difference in COA is not significant relative to the more doors Einstein will open for you due to its strong reputation (for surgery and academia). Einstein no question.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you everyone for your input! I think I have decided on attending Einstein.

If anyone facing a similar decision should stumble across this post, my inbox is always open to discuss.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user