This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard anything about the EIS? I beginning to think I didn't get interview.
No word yet. They are just slow.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't heard anything yet, either. My impression is that most years the rejections and the interview invitations go out on the same day. This wait is brutal, but hang in there!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, first time posting! I haven’t heard anything yet either. I’m hoping they’ll let us know by Friday! Every time my phone buzzes, I jump and think it’s THE email!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh snap! Here come the emails!!

I also got my invite. Good luck to all of you!

I'm so happy the invites are officially out and the wait is over! Good luck everyone!

Looking forward to hopefully meeting some of you next month in Atlanta! :)

Hey everyone, just got the email. I could not make it to the interview

Thank you for submitting an application for a position in the Epidemic Intelligence Service (EIS) program. The EIS Selection Committee recently concluded the review process. Unfortunately, we cannot offer you an interview for EIS at this time.

All hope is not lost chem9872 and VetEpi. I applied last year and did not get an interview, but I did this year. Definitely reapply next year.

All hope is not lost chem9872 and VetEpi. I applied last year and did not get an interview, but I did this year. Definitely reapply next year.
I didn't get an interview either. Do you have any tips for strengthening a future application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Friends, I recently found this forum and super stoked to get an interview!!!

So...we head to Atlanta for one day for an interview next month (at our own expense) and then if we are accepted, we must attend (at govt expense) the EIS conference and match sessions in 2019?

I didn't get an interview either. Do you have any tips for strengthening a future application?

I was told that having a former EIS officer write your LoR was very important. One of my letter writers did not get in the first time he applied ,but got in the second time. He is now a very accomplished researcher.

EISOs I talked to emphasized the personal statement as a way to highlight what unique skills and knowledge you can bring to EIS, while also mentioning what skills you need to strengthen by entering this training program. Since many of us probably have somewhat similar backgrounds the personal statement is a way to really differentiate you from the rest. I also heard that they disqualify you automatically if you have more than 2 recommenders who are currently CDC employees. Though the guidelines mentioned the limit on CDC recommenders, it sounds like an easy thing to overlook especially for those who previously worked at CDC.

EISOs I talked to emphasized the personal statement as a way to highlight what unique skills and knowledge you can bring to EIS, while also mentioning what skills you need to strengthen by entering this training program. Since many of us probably have somewhat similar backgrounds the personal statement is a way to really differentiate you from the rest. I also heard that they disqualify you automatically if you have more than 2 recommenders who are currently CDC employees. Though the guidelines mentioned the limit on CDC recommenders, it sounds like an easy thing to overlook especially for those who previously worked at CDC.
I agree that the personal statement is very important. This is the second time I have applied and my 2nd interview. In both applications, I did not get any recommendation from EISO. I sent my personal statement to colleagues and some professionals to review it and it really helped. It's important that the personal statement is very responsive to the questions. In my second application, I asked my spouse to review the personal statement and answer the questions. Based on her responses, I reworked the personal statement to clearly answer each of the questions.

Last edited:
I agree that the personal statement is very important. This is the second time I have applied and my 2nd interview. In both applications, I did not get any recommendation from EISO. I sent my personal statement to colleagues and some professionals to review it and it really helped. I was wait-listed in my first attempt. It's important that the personal statement is very responsive to the questions. In my second application, I asked my spouse to review the personal statement and answer the questions. Based on her responses, I reworked the personal statement to clearly answer each of the questions.
Yes, I agree that one of the most important things is the personal statement and answer the questions. First time applying, I do not have any recommendation letter from EIS or CDC people and I make it to the interview. I sent the essay to different people with the instructions/questions above the text. One of the reviewers was a former EISO and she made me very aware that I had to answer those questions and make it very clear what I want to gain out of the EIS that would help me to get my careers goals.

Sorry to those not extended an invitation to interview. Bummer. Regarding applications, I sustain what has been said. EISOs and alumni emphasized that communicating that you are open to working anywhere and doing anything EIS related is key to your personal statement. They don't want people who say, "I will only work with HIV in Africa" or "I have to be on the East Coast." They want team players, motivated to contribute to public health in whatever way they might be needed, and even in capacities they may not have envisioned for their careers.

That being said, this is an extremely selective process complicated by budget cuts and reduced EIS slots, and many qualified and high performing applicants are going to be rejected. It sucks, but that's the reality. Best of luck to all!

Friends, I recently found this forum and super stoked to get an interview!!!

So...we head to Atlanta for one day for an interview next month (at our own expense) and then if we are accepted, we must attend (at govt expense) the EIS conference and match sessions in 2019?
That's correct. There is an option for prematching prior to the EIS conference (details given at interview), typically for the field assignments that struggle to place EISO.

Hey everyone. My interview is set for Thursday Sep 13th. I'll be flying into ATL on the early morning of the 12th and leaving early on the 14th. If anybody else will be in town, it would be great to meet and grab dinner or drinks (i.e., moral support) before and/or after the interviews! Shoot me a private message if interested and maybe we can get a small group together.

Thanks for all your suggestions, but I did all of that and above. I met with about 10 current and prior EISO for tips before the application opened. I also had 4 different EISO read my personal statement. Most of the EISO I met with also sent me their personal statements as an example. I had 1 CDC employee write a LOR and I had a total of 5 LOR. I attended prestigious universities and got good grades. I also am very flexible to going anywhere and I made that very clear. I also stressed which skills I'd like to gain from the fellowship. I've published a few articles.

I'm in another fellowship at CDC. My dept chair from my PhD program was an EISO and also mentored several EISO officers while at CDC. He said that my challenge was going to be explaining why I needed another CDC fellowship, but I thought that was clear and my objectives aligned with the EIS program. I spoke to a current EISO who was in the same fellowship (same branch) I am currently in before EIS and he gave me tips on how he explained the difference between fellowships.

So, I say all that to say that I was looking for tips for re-applying because I know you have to make a statement about what makes you different this time around. I didn't know if you all did something different between your first and second application to make your application stronger.

Hi everyone, I'll be flying down for an interview on the 6th. Is anyone who is interviewing that day interested in grabbing dinner the night before? It would be great to get a group together and get to know each other!

Has anyone received a confirmation email or anything since accepting the interview? Also, for those of you who interviewed previously, do you remember if there was a break for lunch and if lunch was provided? I feel very confused about how the interview day is going to proceed!

Has anyone received a confirmation email or anything since accepting the interview? Also, for those of you who interviewed previously, do you remember if there was a break for lunch and if lunch was provided? I feel very confused about how the interview day is going to proceed!

I haven't received an email yet, but I think you're supposed to get an email ahead of the interview day to let you know what your interview schedule will be. Don't count on lunch/food/water/coffee (it's the federal government), so bring your own snacks and water. I heard there is a cafeteria in the building where you can get lunch. Depending on your interview schedule, you may or may not get a break for lunch...

Hi everyone- I am a PhD with an interview scheduled for Sep 6th. Just discovered this forum today and it seems very helpful. Good luck to other applicants- hopefully our paths will cross in the future!

Best of luck to everyone interviewing next week! I hope it goes well for you all!

I saw that a 30 minute writing assessment will be included as part of the interview process. Does anyone know what this portion is evaluating or will include?

Best of luck to everybody!
Yes, please anybody knows about this? What should we expect? I have not heard about this assessment before...

“You should plan to arrive at 7:30 a.m. and be available until 5 p.m. EST. You will have two 20-minute panel-style interviews and one 30-minute online Writing Assessment...There will be a lunch break from 11:40-12:40 p.m”

40 min interviews, 30 min writing. Why do we need to plan for 9.5 hours for just over an hour of formal activities? LOL. Even with hours of government bureaucracy we could still finish this in half a day!

And what the heck is a writing assessment?

Last edited:
How are interviews going for folks? Do you feel like you got a good overview of positions?

Did anyone here apply for the CDC LLS fellowship as well? Still awaiting a response from them and wondering if anyone has already heard back. Thanks!

Well...now we wait...(interviews are done).:boom:

So from what they reported at interviews, they interviewed 170ish people for 66 slots (39% acceptance for those that interview). That number of 66 still has to be approved by CDC director, but is unlikely to change. Someone mentioned they thought there were >1000 applicants?

Also, the EIS director mentioned that USPHS commissioned corps will be an option for the incoming class, even though they previously said it wasn’t an option when applying.

The director also said, “If you don’t get selected, there is nothing wrong with you. You should all be EISO, but we just don’t have slots.” It sounds like if they interview you, you’ve got what they want “on paper”. He mentioned interviewing is a skill, and it is one way in which they will measure your total application. “Answer the questions.” I appreciate that they are trying to make the interview process more objective, but it felt a bit cold, in my experience. I did not leave the room feeling like the interviewers got a good sense for who I was or how I would be in a team.

I was overall very impressed at the group there to interview. Great people doing interesting work and it would be a good crew to work with.

Best of luck to everyone!

Well...now we wait...(interviews are done).:boom:

So from what they reported at interviews, they interviewed 170ish people for 66 slots (39% acceptance for those that interview). That number of 66 still has to be approved by CDC director, but is unlikely to change. Someone mentioned they thought there were >1000 applicants?

Also, the EIS director mentioned that USPHS commissioned corps will be an option for the incoming class, even though they previously said it wasn’t an option when applying.

The director also said, “If you don’t get selected, there is nothing wrong with you. You should all be EISO, but we just don’t have slots.” It sounds like if they interview you, you’ve got what they want “on paper”. He mentioned interviewing is a skill, and it is one way in which they will measure your total application. “Answer the questions.” I appreciate that they are trying to make the interview process more objective, but it felt a bit cold, in my experience. I did not leave the room feeling like the interviewers got a good sense for who I was or how I would be in a team.

I was overall very impressed at the group there to interview. Great people doing interesting work and it would be a good crew to work with.

Best of luck to everyone!

I seem to remember the director mentioning in the Q&A session that ~500 applied to EIS this year if that helps to clarify the numbers. :) Everything else sounds about right. I also agree with the interview process feeling a bit cold, but overall I really enjoyed my time there and feel honored to have been invited. Best of luck to everyone as we anxiously await mid-October!

Calls are coming in guys!!!! Good luck to everyone!!!

Yep, my call came yesterday. I jumped to the roof of my house. It is the best call ever!!

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations to everyone that got in!! Look forward to meeting you all soon!

It sounds like they will be doing calls over the next few days. I imagine it takes a lot of time to speak to each person individually.

Reactions: 2 users
Yep, my call came yesterday. I jumped to the roof of my house. It is the best call ever!!

Holy smokes! The EIS is just full of surprises and now my anxiety meter is at 11. I'm going to remain hopeful so long as I don't get the dreaded email. Good luck to all...keep those cellphones on!

Reactions: 1 users
Holy smokes! The EIS is just full of surprises and now my anxiety meter is at 11. I'm going to remain hopeful so long as I don't get the dreaded email. Good luck to all...keep those cellphones on!

I’m with you! (Maybe they’re going in alphabetical order...)

Congrats to those that have already heard!

Hi, there! I'm a first-time poster but long-time lurker (though that word sounds unnecessarily creepy...).

I'm posting now because I'm with you folks anxiously waiting and self-destructively checking my phone every 5 minutes...

Has anyone besides Cavescan and NKOOD heard back yet?

From lurking around the EIS 2017 and 2018 threads it seems like calls went out over a period of around 2-3 days and, after that people started getting emails. I'm guessing that may be the case this year, but it's so also quite early this time around... Anyway, hoping for the best, preparing for the worst...

Congratulations to those who have heard back!! And I wish good luck to everyone else!! You're all clearly deserving candidates, and meeting some of you on the interview day was a genuinely humbling experience. Whether or not through EIS, I hope our paths intersect again at some point :)

Reactions: 1 users
I have eaten an uncharacteristic amount of donuts and ice cream since interviewing and this whole notification 3 weeks earlier than stated has only worsened my anxiety.

Like oi_vey,!I was particularly surprised at and humbled by the high caliber of applicants that I met on interview day. Also, I was moderately underwhelmed by CDC presence. No tour of CDC HQ, no real interaction with potential supervisors, no personal connection during interviews (did not mention anything from my application). I guess it is apparent, even telling in our anxiety, that we want/need them much more than they need us.

I would guess there are 2-3 days of initial phone calls (66 calls at 3-5 min/call would take 3.5-5 hours), a period of time in which those offered positions can accept/reject, a second wave of phone calls with last picks and waitlist, and then rejection emails will get sent out. Not sure how it goes down though.

I’m assuming no news at this point is bad news. But hopefully I’m wrong...

All the best, people!

Hi, there! I'm a first-time poster but long-time lurker (though that word sounds unnecessarily creepy...).

I'm posting now because I'm with you folks anxiously waiting and self-destructively checking my phone every 5 minutes...

Has anyone besides Cavescan and NKOOD heard back yet?

From lurking around the EIS 2017 and 2018 threads it seems like calls went out over a period of around 2-3 days and, after that people started getting emails. I'm guessing that may be the case this year, but it's so also quite early this time around... Anyway, hoping for the best, preparing for the worst...

Congratulations to those who have heard back!! And I wish good luck to everyone else!! You're all clearly deserving candidates, and meeting some of you on the interview day was a genuinely humbling experience. Whether or not through EIS, I hope our paths intersect again at some point :)

I received the call on Tuesday. We talked for between 10 and 15 minutes because the person provided some information about next steps. I only mention this because they might only be making about 4 calls per hour. I don't know how many people are making the phone calls, or how many hours per day they can devote to doing it, but getting to 66 or so calls is definitely a time-consuming endeavor.

I got the call this afternoon! Those who are still waiting, don't give up hope - they are definitely still making calls. I'm not sure how many they are calling per day, but I'm inclined to believe they are not going in alphabetical order based on being called on the third day and not on the first or second.

I look forward to meeting all the new officers! Congrats to those who have already made it, and my fingers are crossed for those still waiting. :)

Last edited:
Is anyone planning to go to ID Week next week in SF? If so, we should all get drinks to celebrate! I am crossing my fingers for everyone still waiting. I, too, was so impressed by everyone I met and had an amazing time getting to know you all.

Doubtful they left any acceptance calls for this week...I need to have a good cry! :arghh:

I'm thinking best case scenario at this point is wait list.

Doubtful they left any acceptance calls for this week...I need to have a good cry! :arghh:

I'm thinking best case scenario at this point is wait list.

I feel your pain. I wish we could just receive the email to get over it soon, waiting knowing we were not accepted is the worst.

This is my guess...they called 50 people last week. Those accepted get a week to accept (last documented call on SDN was Thursday). If any reject, they will make additional acceptance calls on Friday. Waitlist and rejection emails will follow. There are 16 prematch positions (8 HQ in ATL, 8 field assignments outside ATL) for which the waitlisters can compete with the accepted cohort next month. Interviews by phone with prematch sites, then hear back by mid-Dec(?). Unsure how many they will waitlist? Maybe 20-30ish. Waitlisters could potentially slip into the conference match group if there are any that drop out prior to May.

Well it looks like waitlist emails are out! Although it isn't as definitive as an accept/reject, I guess there's still a bit of hope left for getting into the class this year. Congrats to those who made it through! And for those on the waitlist...the wait continues. Good luck!

Just got my rejection email...bummer! I thought I was a good candidate (with medical and military experience and recent MPH) and I got some positive feedback after my interview. I know it is a very competitive process, but it’s hard when you are used to succeeding in life. Best of luck to everyone selected!!