EK 101 Verbal Reasoning Passages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrokenGlass

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do EK 101 Verbal Reasoning Passages compare to the real AAMC verbal reasoning passages? Also, if anyone knows, how do AAMC verbal reasoning passages compare to real LSAT passages?

My impression of EK 101 Verbal Reasoning passages so far is that they are not anywhere near as good as real LSAT passages. The correct answer to LSAT verbal reasoning is not even debatable and I have no trouble findng it, but EK verbal reasoning questions seem to be written so that the correct answer is determined by a coin toss (after eliminating the 2 incorrect answers). Does anybody else feel this way?

Members don't see this ad.

How do EK 101 Verbal Reasoning Passages compare to the real AAMC verbal reasoning passages? Also, if anyone knows, how do AAMC verbal reasoning passages compare to real LSAT passages?

My impression of EK 101 Verbal Reasoning passages so far is that they are not anywhere near as good as real LSAT passages. The correct answer to LSAT verbal reasoning is not even debatable and I have no trouble findng it, but EK verbal reasoning questions seem to be written so that the correct answer is determined by a coin toss (after eliminating the 2 incorrect answers). Does anybody else feel this way?

I can't answer for the LSAT, but EK 101 VR is not like the AAMC practice CBTS scoring-wise. I've taken CBTs 3,4,5,6,7 and scored 11-13 on all of them, and I've taken VR 101 tests 1 and 2, (2 earlier today) and scored 9 and 8 respectively.

I think it's mostly due to EK obfuscating the right answer just enough to make it look unattractive.

edit: Either I became a VR genius over the past 4 or so hours, or EK's VR 101 is incredibly inconsistent. I just scored a 14 (missed one question) on test 3.

If this helps at all as a comparison, here's my breakdown:

AAMC VR
3 11
4 12
5 9 (that one Picasso passage killed me - don't second guess yourself!)
7 10

EK101 VR
2 10
3 11
4 11

On the EK tests I am predictably averaging one wrong out of each of the nine passages per test, which is an 11. Can't seem to break through to 12.