EK 30-minute lecture exam scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.kicia

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just though tthis could be a useful thread. Post what you think about exams, specific questions, your scores, tricks, techniques....anything that could be usefull for other MCATers.
:luck: :luck: :luck: to you all:D

Members don't see this ad.

UPDATE:

EK Biology
Lecture 1: 13
Lecture 2: 8
Lecture 3: 14 (f*ck yeah!) :D. Wow! I was so shocked. I thought the 1st passage was hard as ****. Then ended up not missing anything on it. Missed the 1 question on the passage I thought was super easy. lol.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

EK Biology
Lecture 3: 14 (f*ck yeah!) :D. Wow! I was so shocked. I thought the 1st passage was hard as ****. Then ended up not missing anything on it. Missed the 1 question on the passage I thought was super easy. lol.

UPDATE:
EK Lecture 4: 14 :D (Not surprised about the 1 I missed, I found it to be very poorly worded. I had it narrowed down to 2 and picked the wrong one). Admittedly the passages in this test seemed fairly straightforward in contrast to Lecture 3 and Lecture 2), which seemed much more difficult.
edit: I missed it because of not reading the question stem carefully! why can't these question interpretation mistakes go away?

Last edited:
EK Biology
Lecture 3: 14
Lecture 4: 14

UPDATE:
Lecture 5: 12 -hmmm kind of disappointing because I had some time to check answers.
I heard from a friend this scale is similar to the practice aamc. wow. kudos to you guys that can pull 14-15 on the aamc. It's hard even pulling that for just 3 passages on similar topics. lol

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
EK Biology
Lecture 5: 12
Lecture 6: 8 -damn. One of the passages in here completely ate me alive (no pun intended). Just glad it wasn't lower. I really need to learn how to handle the pressure/time manage, when there are killer passages.

Ok so the passage was difficult, but I really cracked under pressure. Straight up missed a couple of things I shouldn't have!

Last edited:
Lecture 1: 7 :( missed the easiest questions for no reason. UGH.
Still trying to get through EK Bio 2 lecture:\

When do you guys take the chapter exams? I took mine after reviewing all of the biology lectures! I did the entirety of EK 1001 Bio and TPR Hyperlearning Bio before I ever took a single 30 min. exam. I'm sure my scores would be much lower if I just took the exam after each chapter. Just an fyi

Last edited:
I'm taking the class room course so we do it after we review the chapter-- I find VR, BIO and CH easy but Physics is kicking my ass

I'm taking the class room course so we do it after we review the chapter-- I find VR, BIO and CH easy but Physics is kicking my ass

Oh wow. Did the instructors mention anything as to whether these actually correlate with aamc scores (i.e. 30 minute exams scores are usually 1 point lower than aamc scores, or 1 point higher, or don't correlate at all, so just for fun...lol)?

Oh wow. Did the instructors mention anything as to whether these actually correlate with aamc scores (i.e. 30 minute exams scores are usually 1 point lower than aamc scores, or 1 point higher, or don't correlate at all, so just for fun...lol)?

They actually don't even mention the grading scale, at least not yet, I'll ask tomorrow

EK Biology
Lecture 6: 8

Ok so the passage was difficult, but I really cracked under pressure. Straight up missed a couple of things I shouldn't have!

UPDATE
Lecture 7: 12 The curve is so freaking brutal. I finished really early and began nitpicking answers, which lead me to change an answer that was correct to an incorrect answer. I changed my answer because of slight shade of grey in semantics. Too much time = overanalyzing for me. fck.

wow. also made a question reading error. I want to hit something. hard. Man, at the high range every mistake is just deadly. sooooo frustrated right now. I cannot be making these types of mistakes at this stage in the game. :(

Last edited:
Anyone here doing other passage based exams for the sciences besides the 30-Min EK ones? I'm scoring around 8-9 for my sciences but I'm pretty sure I need a lot more practice because my brain is very rusty with all my sciences :confused:

TPR Hyperlearning science workbook is pretty good if you can get a copy! If not, get TBR if you can. Despite what everyone on this board says, do all the EK 1001 Bio passages. It really helped me drill the information into my head and allowed me to slowly adjust to the passage format.

Members don't see this ad :)
TPR Hyperlearning science workbook is pretty good if you can get a copy! If not, get TBR if you can. Despite what everyone on this board says, do all the EK 1001 Bio passages. It really helped me drill the information into my head and allowed me to slowly adjust to the passage format.

Is TPR Hyperlearning science workbook passage base for all the sciences or kidna like the EK 1001? I've been doing all the EK 1001 for physics, chem, ochem and it really drills down the concept but in the long run I'm not sure how it will help me in terms of the passage base style of the mcat. The 1001 Bio is pretty difficult for me because it requires a lot of information which I'm told that the MCAT does not require that much info. By doing the 1001 Bio, do you feel that you were drilled more info to refresh your memory of bio concepts and helped you on the mcat bio sec? I really don't know of any other prep for bio.

Yup, the TPR Hyperlearning science workbook is solid passage based practice. Here's the distribution.
Biology: 83 passages + some discretes
Physics: 60 passages + discretes
General Chemistry: 91 passages + discretes
Organic Chemistry: 43 passages + discretes

The book has a nice range of passages from some really really easy passages (3 minutes to complete) to some really tough passages (11 minutes :scared: to complete....at least for me). I've only used it for bio...don't really know if I'll have time for all the other subjects, but the biggest strength for bio is that it has many experimental passages. EK 1001 bio had virtually no experimental passages. EK 30 minute bio exams are a little better, but still not as filled with experimental passages as TPR. TPR bio passages get a big thumbs up from me.

I definitely credit EK bio to really helping me to drill in the content + learn to read question stems carefully (for the most part..lol). TPR passages and EK 30 minute exams have been solid practice for helping me to apply my knowledge.

Awesome. Just ordered TPR science workbook..woot woot. By the time I finish drilling half the content, it should arrive.

That's exactly why I've been iffy on doing 1001 bio because they are more content based rather than on experiments hence why bio sec is even difficult for bio majors. I don't have any other Bio practice books so TPR should help out. Thanks for the advice. Definitely have some good prep materials now. :xf:

EK Biology
Lecture 7: 12

Lecture 8: 12 :cool: sigh. I just want to get better. Is it too much to ask? I think what killed me is I was super anal about the first couple of questions, double checked answers in the passage, etc. so I was short on time on the last passage, where I missed the most questions. still trying to find that sweetspot for timing.

Last edited:
EK Biology
Lecture 8: 12
Lecture 9: 11 (not much to say here. I found this test to just be weird and the stuff in this chapter isn't my forte.)edit: ok. nvm. i fell for the darn tricks. ugh. I should have had a 13+. I got to hand it to EK, they are good at make trick questions. I also need to learn to not incorrectly apply passage info, or not make assumptions not supported by the passage (basically improve verbal like skills for bio)

Average: 11.55 :cool: Not really what I'm looking for, but I still got time to raise it up. I want about a 1.5 pt. improvement. Still got TBR bio to do. I'm gonna take a lil bit of a bio break so I can focus on some other subjects and then it's TBR.

So my biggest weaknesses seem to be genetics, kidneys, and evolution stuff. Fortunately, genetics is emphasized in TBR, so hopefully I can make serious gains there.

edit: on second thought the avg. is kind of dissapointing since I've done so many bio passages at this point, but whatever. I did wait a week after reading each ch. to take these.

Last edited:
Man bio chapter 3 chapter test was hard

Yeah I remember that test being really challenging. One of the passages was just wtf. even though i got a high score on it. I definitely wasn't expecting it coming out. thought I would be lucky to get a 10.

Ek Bio

Lec 1- 14 woot! Seems like a lot of time. I finished, nitpicked the questions I was iffy on, and double checked the entire test and still had 7 minutes lol. The 1 question I got wrong I actually changed to the wrong answer when nitpicking, though I learned a good detail from that question so I'm happy.

This makes me feel better as TBR destroys me and I get in the 60%'s

i've gotten 11 the first two on bio.
By the way, are you guys doing these in 30 minutes or less? i finish around 20 minutes, but then again if I used more time i might do better ._.

Forgot to update:

Bio exam 3- 12

Yeah I usually finish in 20 minutes and spend the last 10 double checking/figuring out ones I was unsure on.

Lecture 1: 21/23 = 13
Lecture 2: 14/23 = 8
Lecture 3: 16/23 = 9

I thought exam 2 was hard as hell and I got destroyed on the first passage on exam 3...I miss half of the questions on that passage. I am shooting for a 10 average since I heard this mini exams are harder than the actual mcat.Will work on Lecture 4 this week.

EK Biology
Lecture 8: 12
Lecture 9: 11 (not much to say here. I found this test to just be weird and the stuff in this chapter isn't my forte.)edit: ok. nvm. i fell for the darn tricks. ugh. I should have had a 13+. I got to hand it to EK, they are good at make trick questions. I also need to learn to not incorrectly apply passage info, or not make assumptions not supported by the passage (basically improve verbal like skills for bio)

Average: 11.55 :cool: Not really what I'm looking for, but I still got time to raise it up. I want about a 1.5 pt. improvement. Still got TBR bio to do. I'm gonna take a lil bit of a bio break so I can focus on some other subjects and then it's TBR.

So my biggest weaknesses seem to be genetics, kidneys, and evolution stuff. Fortunately, genetics is emphasized in TBR, so hopefully I can make serious gains there.

edit: on second thought the avg. is kind of dissapointing since I've done so many bio passages at this point, but whatever. I did wait a week after reading each ch. to take these.
You are doing great...

I've been doing the Orgo ones and had a lot of trouble with chapter 1 and 2 but did way better on 3 and 4.

Got 8's on 1 and 2, but 11's on 3 and 4. Confused....

I took a few of the exams last year. They seem pretty good. Going to use them again once I burn through TBR...

Bio
Lecture 4: 16/23 = 9
Lecture 5: 17/23 = 10 (got owned by first passage. I miss 5 out of 8..Danm it reading comprehension)
Lecture 6: 13/23 = 7 (Embarassing.... need to review my kidney physiology)

Not sure this is a factual statement...I look at AAMC 3 and I think EK 30 minutes bio exams are harder than BS section of AAMC 3 IMO.....

Well of course it's only my opinion. Wait until you get to 7, 8, and 9 though :)

Bio
Lecture 4: 16/23 = 9
Lecture 5: 17/23 = 10 (got owned by first passage--miss 5 out of 8..Danm it reading comprehension)
Lecture 6: 13/23 = 7 (Embarassing.... need to review my kidney physiology)
Lecture 7: 17/23 = 10
Lecture 8: 17/23 = 10

Last edited:
Bio
Lecture 1: 16/23 = 9
Lecture 2: 14/23 = 8 :scared:
Lecture 3: 19/23 = 12

I feel like I am finally starting to get the hang of EK passages and questions. Wahoo.

Bio
Lecture 1: 16/23 = 9
Lecture 2: 14/23 = 8 :scared:
Lecture 3: 19/23 = 12

I feel like I am finally starting to get the hang of EK passages and questions. Wahoo.
Keep at it...EK bio 1001 is good practice. An average of 10 is good for these 30-minute exams.

Keep at it...EK bio 1001 is good practice. An average of 10 is good for these 30-minute exams.

I just had a disastrous pre-med committee interview and this brightened my day and made me :). So thank you! Haha, sorry I went all mushy for a sec. Back to work.

Just got my @ss kicked by Physics Lecture 3...I got 5 plus I couldn't finish on time :(

The questions are hard and require long time to analyze them.

EK bio:
1) 13
2) 8
3) 12
4) TBD tonight!

EK Physic
1) 8
2) 7
3) 5

EK GChem
1) 8
2) 8
3) 7
4) 6...plus I went 10 mins over time :(

Those tests are no joke. I occasionally do TBR passages, and I have noticed that they are a little easier.

Im into my second week of studying and I'm using TBR and EK. So far,

EK Gen Chem:
Lecture 1: 9

EK Physics:
Lecture 1: 12

EK bio:
1) 13
2) 8
3) 12
4) TBD tonight!

EK Physic
1) 8
2) 7
3) 5

EK GChem
1) 8
2) 8
3) 7
4) 6...plus I went 10 mins over time :(

Those tests are no joke. I occasionally do TBR passages, and I have noticed that they are a little easier.

EK Bio
4) 10 (I missed some stupid questions. Freaking annoying)

Physics #4 and gChem #5 to be determined today.

EK Ochem:

1) 11
2) 12
3) 14
4) 7 (totally blanked on the extraction passage)

Ek Gen Chem

1) 12

gChem #6 = 7
gChem #7 = 9

Physics #5 = 8
Physics #6 = 7
Physics #7 = 5 (I think I need to reread the Ch.)

Bio #5 = 10

I'm hoping that with ek1001, TBR passages and FL's for an entire month, my score will improve by at least 2pts across the subjects.

Those EK tests are killers.